Help. Can anyone play network tech in Lincoln Park today?

Richard Reina

Oct 27, 2015, 2:04:56 PM10/27/15
to luni-chicago
I have a desktop machine running Centos 6 that has a static IP and has been connected to our private LAN for   couple years. The power went out and went it came back and I powered up the machine eth0 would now work. /var/messages says:

lo: disabled privacy extensions
eth0: link down
eth0: link is not ready

I have tried a different cable and handful of other solutions.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know. If anyone is around Lincoln Park and would be willing to come take a crack at fixing it. Please let me know how much $$ you would need.

Carl Karsten

Oct 27, 2015, 2:26:08 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
does it have a link light?

What is on the other end of the cable?  (my guess is that device needs to be restarted)

Carl K

Richard Reina

Oct 27, 2015, 2:40:12 PM10/27/15
to luni-chicago
At the other end of the cable is a NETGEAR 24 port switch.  You think I should try restarting it?

W Scott Lockwood III

Oct 27, 2015, 2:43:13 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Can't hurt. Do the lights on it associated with that port blink? If not, try another port as well.

Carl Karsten

Oct 27, 2015, 2:51:02 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
if power cycling the netgear and changing ports doesn't help:

-> does it have a link light?

(really meaning: is it on?)

Also plug the other end into something you know works, like your laptop.
dmesg

you should see:

eth0: link up

even if what it is plugged into doesn't make sense.

W Scott Lockwood III

Oct 27, 2015, 3:34:41 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
Or better yet,

ip addr

which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)
--
W. Scott Lockwood III
sc...@guppylog.com

Richard Reina

Oct 27, 2015, 4:24:13 PM10/27/15
to luni-chicago
Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.  Thank you very much!

W Scott Lockwood III

Oct 27, 2015, 4:24:51 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm. Thank
> you very much!

Happy to help! I like non-alcoholic beers. :-)

Dan Yocum

Oct 27, 2015, 4:25:50 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb2gzteVNa4

On 10/27/2015 03:24 PM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.
> Thank you very much!

> <mailto:vladi...@gmail.com>>:
>
> On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
>
> Or better yet,
>
> ip addr
>
> which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)
> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III
> sc...@guppylog.com <mailto:sc...@guppylog.com>
> (847) 579-9753 <tel:%28847%29%20579-9753>
>

> --
>

> --

yocu...@gmail.com
Dan Yocum

Dan Yocum

Oct 27, 2015, 4:26:43 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxrACTPxEk

On 10/27/2015 03:24 PM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.
> Thank you very much!

> <mailto:vladi...@gmail.com>>:
>
> On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
>
> Or better yet,
>
> ip addr
>
> which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)
> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III
> sc...@guppylog.com <mailto:sc...@guppylog.com>
> (847) 579-9753 <tel:%28847%29%20579-9753>
>

> --
>

> --

yocu...@gmail.com
Dan Yocum

Dan Yocum

Oct 27, 2015, 4:27:07 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7d/5c/40/7d5c4026c7f9fdfc586ded948244cd9d.jpg

On 10/27/2015 03:24 PM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.
> Thank you very much!

> <mailto:vladi...@gmail.com>>:
>
> On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
>
> Or better yet,
>
> ip addr
>
> which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)
> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III
> sc...@guppylog.com <mailto:sc...@guppylog.com>
> (847) 579-9753 <tel:%28847%29%20579-9753>
>

> --
>

> --

yocu...@gmail.com
Dan Yocum

Dan Yocum

Oct 27, 2015, 4:27:25 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

On 10/27/2015 03:24 PM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.
> Thank you very much!

> <mailto:vladi...@gmail.com>>:
>
> On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
>
> Or better yet,
>
> ip addr
>
> which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)
> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III
> sc...@guppylog.com <mailto:sc...@guppylog.com>
> (847) 579-9753 <tel:%28847%29%20579-9753>
>

> --
>

> --

yocu...@gmail.com
Dan Yocum

Carl Karsten

Oct 27, 2015, 4:29:04 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
yay!

I have some netgear switches too, and every now and then I have to ... turn them off and on again.   I also have some that are slowly failing... like 1 port pretends to work but no data.  switch to the port on either side, everything works fine.

Carl K

Mike Scott

Oct 27, 2015, 4:31:37 PM10/27/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Great show. Now I want to go back and re-watch the series.

- Mike Scott

On 10/27/2015 03:24 PM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Carl and Scott, I owe you a beer. Power cycling worked. like a charm.
> Thank you very much!

> <mailto:vladi...@gmail.com>>:
>
> On 10/27/2015 1:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
> dmesg
>
> you should see:
>
> eth0: link up
>
> Or better yet,
>
> ip addr
>

> which will show you just the networking stuff you want to look at. :-)

> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III

> sc...@guppylog.com <mailto:sc...@guppylog.com>
> (847) 579-9753 <tel:%28847%29%20579-9753>
>

> --

> <mailto:luni-chicago%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> <mailto:luni-c...@googlegroups.com>.

> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.