compiling kernel with PAE

Robert Fitzpatrick

Jan 19, 2008, 7:15:15 PM1/19/08
to FreeBSD
Getting an error when trying to compile a kernel on 5.4 and 6.2 with the
PAE option. I've tried NO_MODULES in make.conf as well...

se2 -ffreestanding -Werror /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function `adv_action':
/usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:260: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBTENT.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

This is a custom kernel build with the QUOTA option, I take out the PAE
option and all makes fine. I did a src-all update with RELENG_VER tag
prior to building. I assume this is a driver issue compatible with PAE?

Also, can I run amd64 release on this Intel Xeon dual proc with 6GB RAM?
Thinking about loading 6.3 amd64 if possible. Excuse my ignorance, I am
not a hardware guy, I am a programmer.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz 686-class CPU)
Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf41 Stepping = 1
Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
Logical CPUs per core: 2

--
Robert

Josh Paetzel

Jan 20, 2008, 11:44:54 AM1/20/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, rob...@webtent.com
On Saturday 19 January 2008 06:15:15 pm Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Getting an error when trying to compile a kernel on 5.4 and 6.2 with the
> PAE option. I've tried NO_MODULES in make.conf as well...
>
> se2 -ffreestanding -Werror /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function `adv_action':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:260: warning: cast from pointer to
> integer of different size *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBTENT.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> This is a custom kernel build with the QUOTA option, I take out the PAE
> option and all makes fine. I did a src-all update with RELENG_VER tag
> prior to building. I assume this is a driver issue compatible with PAE?
>
> Also, can I run amd64 release on this Intel Xeon dual proc with 6GB RAM?
> Thinking about loading 6.3 amd64 if possible. Excuse my ignorance, I am
> not a hardware guy, I am a programmer.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz 686-class CPU)
> Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf41 Stepping = 1
>
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MC
>A,C MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

> Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
> AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
> Logical CPUs per core: 2

PAE is a horrible hack, and even if you figured out why it won't compile
(probably an incompatable driver in your kernel) it's slow. That particular
CPU will run FreeBSD/amd64 just fine. (I happen to have one) The drawbacks
to FreeBSD/amd64 are mainly in the desktop arena. If this is a server I'd go
for it.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB

signature.asc

David Robillard

Jan 21, 2008, 2:48:46 PM1/21/08
to Robert Fitzpatrick, FreeBSD Questions
> Getting an error when trying to compile a kernel on 5.4 and 6.2 with the
> PAE option. I've tried NO_MODULES in make.conf as well...
>
> se2 -ffreestanding -Werror /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function `adv_action':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:260: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBTENT.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> This is a custom kernel build with the QUOTA option, I take out the PAE
> option and all makes fine. I did a src-all update with RELENG_VER tag
> prior to building. I assume this is a driver issue compatible with PAE?
>
> Also, can I run amd64 release on this Intel Xeon dual proc with 6GB RAM?
> Thinking about loading 6.3 amd64 if possible. Excuse my ignorance, I am
> not a hardware guy, I am a programmer.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz 686-class CPU)
> Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf41 Stepping = 1
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
> MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
> Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
> AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
> Logical CPUs per core: 2

According to http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html the Intel
Xeon (3000-sequence, 5000-sequence, and 7000-sequence) processors use
the Intel(R)64 architecture.
Therefore if your Intel Xeon is in the 3000-sequence, 5000-sequence or
7000-sequence, then you can use FreeBSD/amd64 and use the memory above
4Gb. IMHO it should be more simple and efficient than compiling a
kernel with PAE support.

HTH,

David
--
David Robillard
UNIX systems administrator & Oracle DBA

Pieter de Goeje

Jan 21, 2008, 9:09:56 PM1/21/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, David Robillard, Robert Fitzpatrick
On Monday 21 January 2008, David Robillard wrote:
> > Getting an error when trying to compile a kernel on 5.4 and 6.2 with the
> > PAE option. I've tried NO_MODULES in make.conf as well...
> >
> > se2 -ffreestanding -Werror /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function `adv_action':
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:260: warning: cast from pointer to
> > integer of different size *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBTENT.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
> >
> > This is a custom kernel build with the QUOTA option, I take out the PAE
> > option and all makes fine. I did a src-all update with RELENG_VER tag
> > prior to building. I assume this is a driver issue compatible with PAE?
> >
> > Also, can I run amd64 release on this Intel Xeon dual proc with 6GB RAM?
> > Thinking about loading 6.3 amd64 if possible. Excuse my ignorance, I am
> > not a hardware guy, I am a programmer.
> >
> > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz 686-class CPU)
> > Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf41 Stepping = 1
> >
> > Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,
> >MCA,C MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

> > Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
> > AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
Note the LM feature here: ^^
This means the CPU supports "Long Mode", which basically means the cpu
supports the 64bit extensions needed for FreeBSD/amd64.

> > Logical CPUs per core: 2
>
> According to http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html the Intel
> Xeon (3000-sequence, 5000-sequence, and 7000-sequence) processors use
> the Intel(R)64 architecture.
> Therefore if your Intel Xeon is in the 3000-sequence, 5000-sequence or
> 7000-sequence, then you can use FreeBSD/amd64 and use the memory above
> 4Gb. IMHO it should be more simple and efficient than compiling a
> kernel with PAE support.
>
> HTH,
>
> David

- Pieter de Goeje