Railo 4.2 to Lucee issues

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 1:26:45 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,  I am running into some issue and am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I followed all the instructions to migrate one of my Railo 4.2 instances to Lucee 4.5.  Parts of it are a success but getting all my sites to start is my biggest issue.

The really wierd thing is some sites start and others over and over throw this error in the Catalina logs.

May 07, 2015 11:29:03 AM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor process
SEVERE: Error processing request
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Host name is required
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.setName(StandardHost.java:488)
    at mod_cfml.core.invoke(core.java:366)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:936)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
    at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.process(AjpProcessor.java:200)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

After hitting a site about 5 or 6 times it sometimes will come up finally some sites just never resolve.

A few things about our environment.

Windows 2008 R2 64 bit
32 GB Ram
IIS 7.5
This instance of Lucee has the following Java options
-Dcatalina.base=C:\railo02\tomcat
-Dcatalina.home=C:\railo02\tomcat
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\railo02\tomcat\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\railo02\tomcat\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\logging.properties
-XX:PermSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-javaagent:C:\railo02\lib\lucee-inst.jar

Initial memory pool 256
Max memory 2048

This is a production server set in a load balance set up that we are hoping to convert to the Lucee engine.  I am able to turn sites off in iis so the fail over to the other server so there is no real downtime for our clients while we do the migration.  However, having said that as i turn on each site individually it takes a long time to get the site to hook into Lucee.  In the Lucee admin (which by the way always starts nicely) for each site I like to set the label so it is easier to identify the site.  However, upon restart of Lucee even if a site was previously set and was working it takes multiple attempts to get the site to respond again if ever.  I had some issue like this with Railo but never to such degrees as i am having with Lucee.  Right now i am only attempting to start dev sites that do not have much traffic but would really like to get this resolved to move forward with the live sites and then eventually get my other instances migrated.  Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thank you
Barbara

Jordan Michaels

May 7, 2015, 2:40:44 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbara,

If you're running IIS you'll want to update the BonCode Connector as well. The error appears to be from mod_cfml, which is complaining about the lack of a "Host" header in the http request. The thing is, a "Host" header should always be present in a standard HTTP request from a web browser (it's part of what's in the address bar), so the problem is likely in the connector and how it's handing off the request to Tomcat.

Kind regards,
Jordan Michaels

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 3:13:24 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Jordan,  I did update to the latest BonCode Connector.  AJP13_v1022  I copied over these two files. BonCodeIIS.dll and BonCodeAJP13.dll   to each sites bin directory I also tried running the bon conector like i did with the railo setups and still having major issues.

Jordan Michaels

May 7, 2015, 3:20:00 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... okay. We need to figure out why there is no host header. Can you
turn on logging in the mod_cfml valve and post the results of a failed
request? Maybe there's something unique to your specific request?

Documentation is here:
http://www.modcfml.org/index.cfm/documentation/modcfml-tomcat-valve/config-options/

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/7da1a801-6f93-4e0c-bca7-24a31a888a91%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/7da1a801-6f93-4e0c-bca7-24a31a888a91%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 3:39:03 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Ok so I turned on logging and restarted Lucee.  So one of the sites that wouldn't start previously started just fine this time but one of the sites that was working fails.  here is the entry logs.

[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => E:\Websites\centricbeta.com\www\
[mod_cfml] Host Value => www.centricbeta.com
[mod_cfml] tcHost contains ':' ? => false
[mod_cfml] lastContext = 1431019882328
[mod_cfml] throttleDate = 127
[mod_cfml] throttleValue = 5
[mod_cfml] Removing old config directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\www.centricbeta.com
[mod_cfml] Creating new config directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\www.centricbeta.com
[mod_cfml] Removing old work directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\work\Catalina\www.centricbeta.com
[mod_cfml] Creating context file: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\www.centricbeta.com/ROOT.xml
[mod_cfml] Wait for context? => true
[mod_cfml] Verifying context files...
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [0]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [1]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [2]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [3]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [4]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [5]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [6]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [7]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [8]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [9]
[mod_cfml] Wait loop ended. Context files found? [true]
[mod_cfml] Creating New Host...
[mod_cfml] setName Value => www.centricbeta.com
WEB CONTEXT (CentricBeta)
- config:E:\Railo-WEB-INF\CentricBeta (custom setting)
- webroot:E:\Websites\centricbeta.com\www\
- hash:aa4170b9703dd6431d91feac87795bcf
- label:CentricBeta
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Rredirect URL => '/lb/default.cfm'
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/admin/server.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/res/css/admin-15db2ffdfa2123ae.css.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => 1431027094984
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/admin/resources/js/jquery-1.7.2.min.js.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/admin/resources/js/jquery.blockUI.js.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/admin/resources/js/admin.js.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/form.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/res/img/spinner16.gif.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/res/img/admin_sprite.png.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lucee/admin/update.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => CFID=51e6d025-3c6b-4ec3-b7ac-442ccf503598&CFTOKEN=0&adminType=server
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => null
[mod_cfml] Host Value => 127.0.0.1:8802
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid DocRoot: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lb/default.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => E:\Websites\dev.karilyndesigns.com\www\
[mod_cfml] Host Value => dev.karilyndesigns.com
[mod_cfml] tcHost contains ':' ? => false
[mod_cfml] lastContext = 1431027038081
[mod_cfml] throttleDate = 127
[mod_cfml] throttleValue = 6
[mod_cfml] Removing old config directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\dev.karilyndesigns.com
[mod_cfml] Creating new config directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\dev.karilyndesigns.com
[mod_cfml] Removing old work directory: C:\railo02\tomcat\work\Catalina\dev.karilyndesigns.com
[mod_cfml] Creating context file: C:\railo02\tomcat\conf\Catalina\dev.karilyndesigns.com/ROOT.xml
[mod_cfml] Wait for context? => true
[mod_cfml] Verifying context files...
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [0]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [1]
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [2]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [3]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [4]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [5]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [6]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [7]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [8]
[mod_cfml] Waiting for context files: [9]
[mod_cfml] Wait loop ended. Context files found? [true]
[mod_cfml] Creating New Host...
[mod_cfml] setName Value => null
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.
[mod_cfml] FATAL: Invalid host: Null or zero-length.

there is more from the one that started ok but figured i would send this firt.

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 3:41:17 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
the site that failed is dev.karilyndesigns.com  the one that started this time is www.centricbeta.com  hope this helps.

Jordan Michaels

May 7, 2015, 5:25:35 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This:

> [mod_cfml] Host Value => dev.karilyndesigns.com

is not carrying on to this:

> [mod_cfml] Creating New Host...
> [mod_cfml] setName Value => null

Which is very confusing because the top one is where the value is set,
and the bottom part is where the value is used. It's the exact same
variable.

I wonder if this is an older version of the valve maybe? So that there's
old code that was changed or removed that may be different from the code
I'm reviewing?

Can you update your version of the mod_cfml valve to the latest release
available here:

https://github.com/utdream/mod_cfml/tree/master/java/mod_cfml-valve/dist

You should be able to just do a drop-in replacement (and restart) as the
config parameters that were added later have default values, so you
shouldn't need to update your config unless you want to.

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 6:36:35 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
ok so i followed your instructions and put the new file in the directory I did reaname the old one ... not remove and restarted lucee then tried dev.karilyndesigns.com again

[mod_cfml] Decoded Requst URI => /lb/default.cfm
[mod_cfml] QueryString => null
[mod_cfml] DocRoot Value => E:\Websites\dev.karilyndesigns.com\www\
[mod_cfml] Host Value => dev.karilyndesigns.com
[mod_cfml] tcHost contains ':' ? => false
[mod_cfml] lastContext = 1431029625199
[mod_cfml] throttleDate = 127
[mod_cfml] throttleValue = 7

[...]

Jordan Michaels

May 7, 2015, 7:00:08 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Barbara,

I'll communicate directly with you about this. Don't want to be
disrespectful of people's in-boxes and give them more diagnostic info
they may not be interested in. ;)

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/07163fb3-c0b4-451f-bc3f-b4206ba8fa7e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/07163fb3-c0b4-451f-bc3f-b4206ba8fa7e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Barbara ONeal

May 7, 2015, 7:53:21 PM5/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
sounds good look forward to hearing from you.

James O'Carroll

Jul 1, 2015, 7:00:48 AM7/1/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Did you find a resolution to this issue?
We're having the same problem, again through behind a load balancer but we're running Apache on CentOS.

Thanks

James

Barbara ONeal

Jul 1, 2015, 10:17:20 AM7/1/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

James,  this was actually a combination of two issues.  I did update the Bon code connector on all sites but the other thing i had to do was in the LoadBalancer I had to make sure that the sites were set to htttp 1.1 and set the host.  I am not sure what LB you are using but check the real server settings.