Any good examples of tagging using alignmentObject/educationAlignment to CCSS?

Jim Goodell

Nov 5, 2013, 11:06:32 AM11/5/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of any good examples of tagging using alignmentObject/educationAlignment to link a resources to specific items in CCSS or state standards?

Any examples of resources linked to professional competencies like the Danielson framework or INTASC standards?

br...@edventory.com

Nov 5, 2013, 4:21:43 PM11/5/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

You may want to check out the currently-in-development iPD project for metadata related to professional competencies:

Brian Nichols
Founder, Edventory

Jason Hoekstra

Nov 5, 2013, 11:25:29 PM11/5/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim -

I found some solid examples Jim Klo @ SRI worked on for Kennedy Center resources.  They are both aligned to CCSS and US grade levels as standards frameworks:

https://sandbox.learningregistry.org/harvest/listrecords?from=2013-09-25T15:40:00Z&until=2013-09-25T15:45:00Z]

To pull out an example of the alignment object example out of that, the standards set is determined by the "educationalFramework" and standards identifier by "targetName" (as well as "targetUrl", but from my practice in speaking with others, targetName is used primarily as the identifier).

{
"alignmentType": "teaches",
"educationalFramework": "Common Core State Standards",
"targetName": "CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.8.1c",
"@type": "AlignmentObject",
"targetUrl": "http://corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/SL/8/1/c"
}

Just taking a stab at aligning to the Danielson framework, it would seem it could be addressed similar to:

{
"alignmentType": "teaches",
"educationalFramework": "Danielson Framework for Teaching",
"targetName": "1c",
"@type": "AlignmentObject",
}

... which would align to "1c Setting Instructional Outcomes".

I know of a few companies that are interested in discovering PD resources from the Learning Registry, so would appreciate hearing of publishers doing this if any are known to do so.

Thanks,

Jason

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Jim Goodell <james.dona...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone know of any good examples of tagging using alignmentObject/educationAlignment to link a resources to specific items in CCSS or state standards?

Any examples of resources linked to professional competencies like the Danielson framework or INTASC standards?

Jim Goodell

Nov 6, 2013, 9:33:26 AM11/6/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jason!

...I've been thinking that The Learning Registry and Learning Registry Index could be one way of providing a proxy digital representation of learning standards framework items when a standardized digital representation isn't available from the publisher.  This is an emerging need for states to publish variations to CCSS, standards in non-core subjects (e.g. NASPE standards, CTE, etc.), and professional frameworks like Danielson that are not available a standard machine-accessible form from the publisher.  Thoughts?  ...Maybe I'll cross-post the question to LR group.

Jason Hoekstra

Nov 6, 2013, 10:31:46 AM11/6/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Yes, where possible, relying on well-known standards frameworks is ideal in content searches.  I'm now seeing the brilliance in LRMI design that both allows for multiple framework / standard tagging and agnostic about its format.  With that, it's possible to accommodate publisher standards and national standards at the same time.  Also, both from a Learning Registry and LR Index perspective, both of these technologies are format and data agnostic, so do support any standard framework:  PD, CTE, CCSS, CCSS state extensions, state standards, Next Gen Science standards and all others.

On the inBloom side, we have some documentation and Learning Registry Index upgrades to be released in the coming weeks around standards searching and documentation to support.  I'll email this around once available.  Agreed, also a good discussion for LR community, I know a number of folks there are working in AlignmentObject and would contribute to this conversation with their experiences in doing so.

Thanks,

Jason

Letha Kay Goger

Nov 25, 2013, 2:39:52 PM11/25/13
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for slow feedback on this stream, I've been away from my desk and am just now catching up on conversation on this list.

Since it is related (going back to Jason's initial post), I want to share here our rationale and approach in the iPD Metadata Project work we are doing. We are working with partners to build a universal PD descriptive framework. This is not to say that others will not want to build a representation in alignmentObject of an individual PD framework. Generally speaking, though, we see that the resource first needs to be well-described to ensure it is broadly discoverable, and then it can be aligned, as appropriate, to specific frameworks using the alignmentObject field.

We are defining a data model for PD resources and services to which most PD frameworks can be mapped, if needed. The iPD model will allow professional development resources and services to be well-described and discoverable, apart from their alignment to any individual framework. Also, on an applied level, we understand that many content providers do not have staffing levels or expertise to evaluate resources to multiple frameworks that may be individually expressed using the alignmentObject category. In fact, content developers have expressed to us that a universal model would be useful and that they would use it as a base for identifying resources to further evaluate for alignment to specific frameworks they are supporting with their clients and partners.

As such, our project will be proposing an extension to LRMI, adding 4-5 new categories that are needed for describing professional development resources and services. Our two project goals are: 1) to advance practice around the description of PD resources and services, and 2) to ensure that teachers can discover the professional development resources and services they need throughout the scope of their career, regardless of their educational environment.

You can follow the work of the project and help us by joining the conversation at iPD Google Group list.

Letha

Letha Kay Goger, M.A., MLIS, OER Digital Librarian
Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education (ISKME)
323 Harvard Avenue, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Twitter: Lethanow
Website: oercommons.org