Metadata application profiles

Lorna Johnstone

May 18, 2016, 7:39:47 AM5/18/16
to Learning Resource Metadata Initiative

Afternoon all

I am currently studying for a Masters in Information Technology (Business) at Heriot-Watt University and undertaking a thesis into the development of a metadata application profile for learning resources.

The aim of the project is to create an application profile from data elements drawn from Schema.org, which will be built using the Singapore Framework. The definition of functional requirements for the profile will be drawn from different areas of research including the current practice of stakeholders of the application profile.

I am looking for information on the current practices or best practices in terms of the use of metadata application profiles within web publishing/search engine development.

If you are a publisher or developer who uses application profiles and can share information publicly, I would be very grateful if you could let me know:

  • which application profile(s) you use?
  • in your opinion what are the mandatory and optional functional requirements of the application profile(s) you use?

Many thanks

Lorna Johnstone

Steve Midgley

May 18, 2016, 12:01:40 PM5/18/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a sample json-ld schema.org document including a range of LRMI terms: https://gist.github.com/science/4f351ee1e9e4a476d291

The "real" LRMI/schema.org document starts at line 21.. The document above that is a learning registry "envelope" which provides some encapsulation (for digital signing mainly).

Steve

Lorna Johnstone

May 19, 2016, 3:55:30 AM5/19/16
to Learning Resource Metadata Initiative
Many thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Lorna

Hugh Paterson III

May 20, 2016, 10:35:51 AM5/20/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
@Lorna

Are you talking about application profiles in the Dublin Core sense as explained here?:
and here:
The way we (in the organization I work with) approach LRMI is that we adopt the LRMI elements into our metadata schema, which we use in our Institutional Repository (DSpace), by using LRMI, when we export our content from DSpace to a publicly accessible Drupal instance, we then have the option to embed the LRMI elements in the markup of the data presented. We already use Dublin Core and a set of custom values in our IR, by augmenting these with LRMI we get about 98% coverage for anything we need based on our known business cases. We run business cases with examples on each metadata element we add to our in house schemas. So, we don't look for interoperability with other metadata schemas - we just aren't that cool. (We don't have any ingest requirements either, and our "sharing" is for SEO and targeted applications such as OLAC [http://www.language-archives.org]. We have thought about also doing a targeted share with an LRMI aggregator, but that is down the road for us. If you wanted to call our whole set up an "application profile" then I suppose one could, but it is an application for one organization, which does not have a high priority to share that application.

Section 4 of the Singapore framework doesn't offer many examples. Do you have any examples?

in a web search I find this for LRMI:

all the best,

Hugh Paterson III
Message has been deleted