Some proposed controlled vocabularies

Steve Midgley

Feb 12, 2014, 5:44:25 PM2/12/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Hi,

Here is a draft of the multi-state work on LRMI/schema.org controlled vocabularies. Hopefully this is useful for steering us all towards some common vocabs in use with LRMI?

I know the states have indicated they want to share the work and collaborate with others on these definitions..

If anyone wants to work directly with the states on these definitions, I think their group is unintentionally private right now, so as a bridge, just drop me an email and I'll try to get you to the right people.

Does the information attached - particularly the xls file, seem relevant for this conversation on controlled vocabs?

Best,
Steve

Common Tags-values definitions-2013-09-11 (2).xlsx
Common Meta Tag Project - 2 pager 07 05 2013.docx

Steve Nordmark

Feb 13, 2014, 7:39:16 AM2/13/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Steve,

Very interested to learn more about this state collaborative.  The MS Word doc you attached contains reference to three other attachments - in addition to the EXCEL spreadsheet that you included.  Please share more details about the collaborative and how to get involved and/or closely follow their progress.

Thanks,

Steve Nordmark

Dave Gladney

Feb 13, 2014, 4:32:13 PM2/13/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com, Steve Nordmark, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Steve, is there one group that is leading this initiative? Googling IIS Network is really not useful :)

I’ve been at the Summit on Tech-Enabled Personalized Learning the past two days, and many of the state/district representatives have said that coming to a consensus on metadata and vocabularies is a real pain point for them. I’d love to be able to point them in the right direction and get more states involved in this.

Thanks,
-Dave

--
Please note my new contact info below.

Dave Gladney
Director of Communications Technology/LRMI Project Manager, PreK-12 Learning Group
Association of American Publishers
325 Chestnut Street, Suite 1110
Philadelphia, PA

From: Steve Nordmark Steve Nordmark
Reply: lr...@googlegroups.com lr...@googlegroups.com
Date: February 13, 2014 at 7:39:20 AM
To: lr...@googlegroups.com lr...@googlegroups.com
Subject:  Re: Some proposed controlled vocabularies

Sean Fullerton

Feb 13, 2014, 7:26:45 PM2/13/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Steve,

Thank you for sharing these.  I would be interested in knowing more about how to get involved.

I also echo Steve and Dave's requests for more information about IIS and the Common Content Tagging Initiative if any is available.

--Sean Fullerton
sfullert at uw edu

Research Assistant, Badges for Lifelong Learning Project, UW iSchool
PhD Student, The iSchool -- University of Washington Information School

Steve Midgley

Feb 19, 2014, 5:01:38 PM2/19/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. To answer Dave and Sean's question: I'm not 100% sure, now having dug into it, how to get involved. On the plus side: All the work that the IIS group developed is housed at CEDS. So I think getting involved with CEDS is the right place.

*However* CEDS is in between contracts (from version 4 to  to 5 I think). So there's no actual working group to work with right now!

Joe Hobson from NavNorth is going to post some suggested subject taxonomy vocabularies soon to continue to expand this work, so that should be helpful.

My best suggestion, unfortunately, is to keep an eye on the status of CEDS working groups and get involved in those. I will be working to try to find a better answer than that in the meantime. Feedback and public or private communication welcome on this as always..

Steve