learningResourceType: a type of Type?

Les Kneebone

May 24, 2015, 10:46:27 PM5/24/15
to lr...@googlegroups.com
I have just discovered that LRMI stewardship has been transferred to DCMI - and in my opinion this is a great development.

I notice that in the LRMI Metadata Terms in RDF spec assertions about equivalent schema.org properties and, in one case, a subProperty relationships betwee LRMI useRightsURL and

http://schema.org/license.

Might we also make relate LRMI Metadata Terms to DCMI Metadata Terms?

First case I'm considering is LRMI learningResourceType. Could we say this is a subProperty of DCMI Type?

I notice that the DCMI Type property is NOT included in the Dublin Core Terms to Schema.org mapping (although DCMI Type vocabulary value 'Event' is).

Stuart Sutton

May 26, 2015, 7:55:55 AM5/26/15
to LRMI
On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Les Kneebone <leskn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have just discovered that LRMI stewardship has been transferred to DCMI - and in my opinion this is a great development.

I notice that in the LRMI Metadata Terms in RDF spec assertions about equivalent schema.org properties and, in one case, a subProperty relationships betwee LRMI useRightsURL and

http://schema.org/license.

Might we also make relate LRMI Metadata Terms to DCMI Metadata Terms?

Hi, Les,

The intention is to make visible at the schema level as many of these kinds of formal mappings between long-standing schemas and the LRMI work as is meaningful (e.g., DC+ed properties and IEEE/LOM). We reference that intention in the notes to the schema documentation at [1]. However, the current status of the spec does not include those mappings in terms of formal equivalencies other than schema.org. As the LRMI Task Group [3] takes up further refinements to the LRMI specification, those additional mappings can be considered and incorporated.

First case I'm considering is LRMI learningResourceType. Could we say this is a subProperty of DCMI Type?

I would think so to the extent that both express the genre of the resource.

I notice that the DCMI Type property is NOT included in the Dublin Core Terms to Schema.org mapping (although DCMI Type vocabulary value 'Event' is).

Les, you reference the dc/schema.org mapping at [4]. I've sent an email to the DCMI Technical Board inquiring as to the current status of the mapping (including whether it is "open" to further development).

[4] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcmi/schema.org/master/mappings_schema.org.xml

Stuart

Les Kneebone

May 31, 2015, 11:42:45 PM5/31/15
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Stuart,

Some useful references there. I realize now there is some LRMI activity in defining value vocabularies for these elements, such as for Learning Resource Type [1].
We will watch this development closely. Australian Education Vocabularies has already defined values to populate DCMI Type and we consider these to be 'extensions' to the DCMI Type vocabulary [2].

[1] https://github.com/stuartasutton/LRMI_Vocabs/blob/master/learningResourceType
[2] http://vocabulary.curriculum.edu.au/learningResourceType

Note that for the value 'Mobile app', we defined a skos:broadMatch relationship to DCMI Type vocabulary value "Software". But for "Teacher guide" and "Assessment resouce" we were not confident about making similar assertions. Probably we would want to relate these to LRMI values such as "Educator Curriculum Guide" and "Assessment item" respectively.