How Common Core Standards Validate That Content is in according to Standards or not

ankit...@magicsw.com

Dec 31, 2014, 1:22:08 AM12/31/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just want to know about Common Core Standards & how ASN work ?

Stuart Sutton

Dec 31, 2014, 7:42:33 AM12/31/14
to LRMI
Ankit, both the Common Core and the ASN have fairly extensive documentation on their websites at [1] and [2] regarding what they are and how they work. It's probably best to start there. In short, LRMI is a metadata specification primarily (but not solely) designed for handling markup of learning resources for access and discovery on the web. It has one property that makes it possible to reference particular standards like the U.S. Common Core that are applicable to a specific learning resource. The ASN is a specification for machine description of sets of standards (competency frameworks) like the Common Core that can be used as data with the LRMI specification. This probably won't make much sense until you've spent a few hours with documentation on the websites of both the Common Core and the Achievement Standards Network and looked at examples of their use in solving problems.

Stuart
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM, <ankit...@magicsw.com> wrote:
Hi,

I just want to know about Common Core Standards & how ASN work ?

Ankit Arora

Dec 31, 2014, 8:49:00 AM12/31/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the Reply.

I have gone through the Mentioned Websites.

I have few Queries :

1. Suppose I have E-Book Content with the Common Core Standards. Is it Possible to Verify that the Content is according to mention Standards or not ?
2. Suppose I have Content without Standards implemented & want to implement the Standards on that Content . Is it possible ? If Yes then How ?

Steve Midgley

Dec 31, 2014, 6:39:32 PM12/31/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Verifying content to curricular standards is an educational, not a technical activity. It's very possible to do that, but generally speaking educational professionals are given that responsibility. It works something like this:

You have two common core standards "XZY" and "ABC".
You have three digital resources which might align to those standards.
You get a few teachers to look at your standards and understand them.
You have those teachers look at your digital resources and attach/align either "ABC" or "XYZ" to the metadata associated with the resource, if the standard applies to the resource. (In some cases you also attach a "verb" such as "teaches" or "assesses" to the alignment metadata).
You then encode that alignment data into a metadata format such as LRMI or other.
Share/use the encoded metadata according to your need.

Obviously that's oversimplified. There are tagging tools out there to make this job more automated (Learning Registry has a couple open source tools for example - I think ASN has a tool, as probably does Academic Benchmarks, EdGate and others).

Steve

Ankit Arora

Dec 31, 2014, 8:34:29 PM12/31/14
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the Info & giving your precious time. You have pretty much solve my doubts. Will get get back to you for any other doubts.

Wishing a Very Happy New Year 2015.

//BR

Ankit Arora
Test Engineer || Magic Softwares

✉ : ankita...@gmail.com || ankita...@gmail.com
☎ :

+91-9654293205 ,+91-8285678798

P please consider the environment before printing any email

Please say "No" to Plastics