Open Educational Resources Schema and W3C Community group

Adrian Pohl

Sep 15, 2016, 9:04:37 AM9/15/16
to Learning Resource Metadata Initiative
Hello,

I just stumbled over the Open Educational Resources Schema W3C Community
[Group]. The group launched in June but obviously they are already
working on the [schema]. The group's chair Alex Boyce writes in a
[comment] the the goal would be "extending schema.org vocabulary to be
semantic to education". This looks very similar to what the LRMI task
group has been doing all along.

As far as I can see, there are not too much people working on these
things, so it would be best to prevent parallel efforts and collaborate
where possible. Also, having multiple standards to chose from isn't a
good thing to actually arrive at a shared standard.

Does anybody from the LRMI TG has contact to this group? Is there
exchange and maybe even collaboration between this group and LRMI?

All the best
Adrian

[Group] https://www.w3.org/community/oerschema/
[schema] http://oerschema.org/docs/schema.html
[comment]
https://www.w3.org/community/blog/2016/06/02/proposed-group-open-educational-resources-schema-community-group/#comment-62134

Phil Barker

Sep 15, 2016, 9:47:17 AM9/15/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Good spot Adrian.

I don't know any of the people involved. I recall hearing about the oer
schema idea earlier this year, I am pretty usre it was Cable or one of
his CC colleagues who alerted me. I think I contacted Alex Boyce to
point out that their work was similar to LRMI and Schema Course Extend.
Sorry, I cannot remember the details.

Maybe we could arrange a meeting with them to compare aims?

Phil
--
Phil Barker @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL http://people.pjjk.net/phil

Workflow: http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/workflow/

Paul Libbrecht

Sep 15, 2016, 10:37:16 AM9/15/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Phil Barker wrote:
> Maybe we could arrange a meeting with them to compare aims?
That would be real cool.
I've contacted a person i know of there.

Paul

Paul Libbrecht

Sep 15, 2016, 10:48:35 AM9/15/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the follow web-page is their home:
  http://oerschema.org
and they display a schema that looks fairly complementary to LRMI (in the direction of course organization and reporting).

Paul

15 September 2016 at 16:37
That would be real cool.
I've contacted a person i know of there.

Paul
15 September 2016 at 15:46
Good spot Adrian.

I don't know any of the people involved. I recall hearing about the oer schema idea earlier this year, I am pretty usre it was Cable or one of his CC colleagues who alerted me.  I think I contacted Alex Boyce to point out that their work was similar to LRMI and Schema Course Extend. Sorry, I cannot remember the details.

Maybe we could arrange a meeting with them to compare aims?

Phil

15 September 2016 at 15:05

Adrian Pohl

Nov 21, 2016, 5:54:17 AM11/21/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Any news on this?
--
Adrian Pohl
hbz - Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes NRW