Mul-key tool project

Grant

Oct 16, 2013, 5:17:53 PM10/16/13
to louisville-organiz...@googlegroups.com
For a long while I have been frustrated with key rings and traditional key storage. They are bulky, awkward to handle, jingly, and tend to break nails when trying to add or remove keys. So I got the idea of what if I could replace the blades on a multitool with keys instead? Easy to fold out and store, quiet, and far less bulky. Well I did some research and found there is nothing original anymore, and this has actually been a thing going on in the past few years. Everyone I have seen on forums and message baords have been doing it with cheapo Leathermans and their various knock offs. All I had was a SOG Powerlock laying around and luckily they are actually designed to be taken apart and to have the blades removed and switched out.

The bolts on them take a hex head or a 5/64 allen wrench to take apart. You need to keep one side stationary while unscrewing the other. then the blades all just come out. Sounds really simply but I'm a dingfod and it took me about 3 hours of tinkering to figure it out. I tried inserting a key and it didn't fit due to there being too much ornamental fluff on the bow. After out 2 minutes with a Dremel tool I was able to cut it down to the perfect shape for the SOG. I made sure to leave the shoulder in tact so it wouldn't over insert into the lock upon use.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9622475/2013-10-16%2016.15.50.jpg

So far this is the only picture I have. I didn't even think about it until I had gotten this far. But I will take more as I go along to document the progress.

I have some washers to use as spacers and by my wonderful powers of Scientific Wild Ass Guessing (SWAG) I think this tool can fit somewhere between 16 and 20 keys. But I would like to add a carabiner clip onto one end (taking up key space) so I can carry it on my belt loop. More pics and instructions as I continue.

P.S. A SOG without the pliers is basically a butterfly knife handle. I was thinking about taking it apart further but a butterfly action for keys is just too awesome to pass up.

Essobi

Oct 16, 2013, 5:50:15 PM10/16/13
to louisville-organiz...@googlegroups.com
SIIIIIIICK.
  Be sure to post the pics when done.  Thanks for sharing.

Ben Hibben

Oct 16, 2013, 7:15:30 PM10/16/13
to louisville-organiz...@googlegroups.com
Nice idea; I'd like to build custom-designed ones that hold only keys and are shorter.  This would be SOOO much more convenient to carry.

Blenster

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Essobi <ess...@gmail.com> wrote:
SIIIIIIICK.
  Be sure to post the pics when done.  Thanks for sharing.

Grant

Oct 17, 2013, 2:58:48 PM10/17/13
to louisville-organiz...@googlegroups.com
If you have the tools and the materials then go for it! Id be interested to see what design and shape you go with. A tool like this might also be a good way for storing bump keys or even some picks.