`loopback-testing` deprecation notice

Simon Ho

Dec 15, 2015, 1:01:20 PM12/15/15
to LoopbackJS
We are in the process of deprecating `loopback-testing`.

1. The repo will be removed from the public org and put into our archives by the end of this week
2. It will be removed from all LoopBack related projects

As for why, we've decided as a team that there are better tools out that can easily replace `loopback-testing`. By deprecating this repo, we lessen the burden on ourselves and can focus our efforts on maintaining other important LoopBack projects.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

fadeojo

Dec 25, 2015, 5:07:30 PM12/25/15
to LoopbackJS
Please can you provide proper examples of how testing can be achieved without loopback-testing.

Thank you.

Esteban Alberto Uscanga Olea

Dec 28, 2015, 8:48:33 AM12/28/15
to LoopbackJS
We would like an example that can replace this repo too. We at Liquid Labs use a lot loopback for plenty projects and testing is crucial for us in our daily basis. There are some very handful features like "givenModel" or "whenCalledRemotely".

Are there any tools out there doing this for loopback?

Thanks.

Simon Ho

Dec 28, 2015, 7:44:00 PM12/28/15
to LoopbackJS
Nothing as specific as loopback-testing, but you should be able to get by with tools like https://github.com/visionmedia/supertest.

Simon Ho

Dec 28, 2015, 8:03:53 PM12/28/15
to LoopbackJS
Some of the things we have planned for 2016 is to update the examples to use TDD so you can guys have something to follow with regards to testing LoopBack apps. Keep your eyes peeled! ;)

Simon Ho

Jan 4, 2016, 3:16:03 PM1/4/16
to LoopbackJS
I've made the repo public again and will leave it there until February 1st. This should be long enough for anyone who needs more time to transition. In addition, please give me your thoughts on deprecation notice procedures, length of time to leave the repo up before archiving, etc at https://github.com/strongloop/loopback/issues/1941

Pulkit Singhal

Feb 3, 2016, 1:01:45 AM2/3/16
to LoopbackJS
Hello Simon, its 2016, have the examples to use TDD been added somewhere?

Simon Ho

Feb 3, 2016, 2:57:42 AM2/3/16
to LoopbackJS
Hi Pulkit, long time no see. What do you mean by the examples to use TDD? Like use the TDD process in the tutorials? If that is the case, then no that hasn't happened yet. Unfortunately, I'm busy on features lately, so maybe I can get this scheduled in with some of our new members (refactor with TDD in mind).

Brett Kotch

Feb 16, 2016, 6:10:56 PM2/16/16
to LoopbackJS
Well ... I mean just plan old examples of how to test loopback applications that I write.

I have struggled for hours trying to write a proper test and consistently come up short.

It is a huge shortcoming that there aren't any full features test examples (tests that use before, beforeEach, creating Models via the API, creating via Post, etc.)

I have tried multiple times and continue to fail (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/loopbackjs/Z0dmywMkZNk)

Jonathan Eustace

Mar 15, 2016, 12:34:57 AM3/15/16
to LoopbackJS
Have you found any examples yet? I'd like to see a guide on how to test loopback apps.

Christiaan Westerbeek

Mar 21, 2016, 8:05:56 AM3/21/16
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Let's all just use this guys fork right?

Pulkit Singhal

Mar 21, 2016, 9:08:18 AM3/21/16
to LoopbackJS
I think that is a great idea but since it is a fork, github won't make its code "searchable" unless it has more STARS than the original project so we should all "star it up"

wolverine ks

Apr 25, 2016, 2:06:34 PM4/25/16
to LoopbackJS
Just starred the repo. Anyone using it? Making progress?

Long Nguyen

May 19, 2016, 1:41:38 PM5/19/16
to LoopbackJS
Just forked it. I found some bugs and I'm working on it right now. You can always get the latest version from master branch.

To use it on your project, edit your package.json:
"loopback-testing": "github:tobernguyen/loopback-testing",

Pulkit Singhal

May 19, 2016, 2:51:36 PM5/19/16
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Can you describe the bugs you're working on in your github issues for our benefit? Or maybe you only forked it so that you may create PR?

- Pulkit

Long Nguyen

May 20, 2016, 12:31:55 AM5/20/16
to LoopbackJS
All helpers related to Role are broken. I just fixed it, you can look at the latest commit on master branch.

Pulkit Singhal

Jul 12, 2016, 4:49:36 PM7/12/16
to LoopbackJS
Thanks for that.

Made a brief instructional recording when I played around with loopback-testing:

Hope it helps someone get started.