Help test the new LoopBack doc site

Rand McKinney

Sep 7, 2016, 2:55:46 PM9/7/16
to LoopbackJS
As announced previously, we're moving LoopBack documentation from a closed Confluence wiki into a GitHub/Jekyll-based site where everyone can contribute to the docs.  Thanks to help from Marc-Ed Raffalli, who wrote a nice conversion script, we've got all the ENglish content moved over.  But there are always a few "gotchas" in a process like this, and we just need some eyeballs on the new docs to help spot problems.

So, if you have a moment, please browse through http://loopback.io/doc/en/lb2/ and if you spot any problems, please open an issue: https://github.com/strongloop/loopback.io/issues or if you know how to fix the issue, open a PR!

You'll notice the organization is slightly different than the current docs, and I've made a few other miscellaneous changes, but if you're familiar with the LoopBack docs, a lot of it will look familiar.

NOTE:  I'm not happy with the navigation sidebar that we have now (e.g. https://github.com/strongloop/loopback.io/issues/35), and I'd like to replace it with something better, but this is orthogonal to the content migration.  But don't bother logging issues vs. the sidebar please.  If anyone has a specific suggestion of an expandable navigation sidebar, please speak up.

For now, the "official" doc site is still https://docs.strongloop.com, but as soon as we are confident that all the content is there, accurate, complete, and usable, I'll deprecate the old site and http://loopback.io/doc will become the official LoopBack documentation.   I've started a "go live" checklist of the things we have to do to launch the new site: https://github.com/strongloop/loopback.io/issues/39.

I'm also working on migrating the existing translated content (https://github.com/strongloop/loopback.io/issues/37) to the new site.  Once that's in place and the site goes live, we can start accepting translation PRs as well.

Thanks,
Rand

Rand McKinney

Sep 28, 2016, 4:42:54 PM9/28/16
to LoopbackJS
I'm happy to announce that we're launching the new doc site today!  See my blog post: https://strongloop.com/strongblog/new-life-for-loopback-documentation/.

From now on, http://loopback.io/doc/ is the official home for LoopBack documentation.
We've got deprecation notices on the old LoopBack docs on docs.strongloop.com, and at some point we'll just redirect old pages to the new site.

Thanks!
Rand

Al Tsang

Oct 18, 2016, 4:05:37 PM10/18/16
to LoopbackJS
New site looks fantastic Rand :) I'm guessing you don't miss Confluence eh?

Rand McKinney

Oct 18, 2016, 4:48:19 PM10/18/16
to LoopbackJS
Thanks, Al!  I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out... still lots of work to do, of course.

No, I was ready to move on from Confluence.  Jekyll FTW! :-)

Rand