Translating LoopBack docs

Rand McKinney

Jan 20, 2015, 2:52:18 PM1/20/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
A few folks have asked about translating LoopBack docs into other languages.  At this point we don't have budget for professional translation, but we can help to facilitate translation by the community.

I created two new spaces for localized LoopBack documentation:
So far, these are the languages in which people have expressed interest.  I'll add other languages when there is interest.

NOTE: Currently, both of these spaces just contain copies of the English LoopBack docs.  It's up to you to replace each page with its translation.

Please read http://docs.strongloop.com/display/LB/Translating+documentation for basic instructions.  I realize that this setup is not ideal, but it is the best we can do at the moment with the infrastructure and resources we have.

Let me know if you have questions or suggestions on how to improve the localization process.

Thanks,
Rand
~~
C. Rand McKinney
Technical Writer, StrongLoop, Inc.

Alex Hu

Jan 26, 2015, 10:40:54 PM1/26/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am happy to help translating docs in Chinese. Can you please create a new localized space for Chinese?

Thanks,

Alex

Rand McKinney

Jan 27, 2015, 12:41:08 PM1/27/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
Great!  Thanks for volunteering.  Here is the new Chinese space: http://docs.strongloop.com/display/zh/LoopBack

I see there's been some progress on Japanese and particularly Russian translation... Awesome!

Rand

Alex Hu

Jan 27, 2015, 8:06:35 PM1/27/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rand,

I've started to work on the translation. My goal for phase 1 is to complete the tutorial section.

BTW: Can you please add the "Zh-docs" space to the 'I10n' category? So it can be shown on the translation pages.

Cheers

Alex

Rand McKinney

Jan 28, 2015, 4:04:37 PM1/28/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
That sounds like an excellent initial goal!

I added the zh doc space to the l10n category, as you requested.
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,
Rand

Nuba Princigalli

Jun 1, 2015, 3:37:31 PM6/1/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to help with the Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) translation! :)

Rand McKinney

Jun 2, 2015, 12:24:39 PM6/2/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com, nub...@gmail.com
Hi Nuba,
Thanks for volunteering!

We don't currently have any pt-br docs, but if you are willing to commit to translating some content, I will create a "template" for you.
The template will be a copy of the English docs in a new Confluence space.  Then you can basically translate it "in place".  Just let me know for sure before I spend time doing that.

Take a look at the other languages for an example.

Thanks,
Rand

Nuba Princigalli

Jun 2, 2015, 3:16:30 PM6/2/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please do!

BTW how will we track changes made to the source english docs after the translation? Manually?

Rand McKinney

Jun 3, 2015, 2:34:00 PM6/3/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com, nu...@pauleira.com, nu...@pauleira.com
OK, I created a new Brazilian Portuguese space: http://docs.strongloop.com/display/PTBR.
Currently it is a copy of the the English LoopBack docs.

I also added it to http://docs.strongloop.com/display/LB/Docs+in+other+languages.  Let me know when you've done some translation, and I'll add the space to the "Recently Updated" table in that page.

In case you haven't, take a look at Translating documentation.

BTW how will we track changes made to the source english docs after the translation? Manually?

Yes, unfortunately, we don't have any other way currently.  We know it's not optimal, but that's how it is right now.  We may revisit in the future if there is significant interest.

I did create a header for localized pages that displays when it was last edited (translated) and a link to the source English page.  This will make it a bit easier to compare any changes in the source article, but it's still a manual process.

Thanks,
Rand

Nuba Princigalli

Jun 3, 2015, 3:31:21 PM6/3/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! That's good enough to get us started! Thank you, Rand! :)

hash rock

Nov 9, 2015, 2:29:00 AM11/9/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi! I'm happy to help translating docs in Japanese. The Japanese space is already exists, but it seems a bit old. Can you please re-create JA space?

2015年1月21日水曜日 4時52分18秒 UTC+9 Rand McKinney:

Rand McKinney

Nov 10, 2015, 7:31:41 PM11/10/15
to LoopbackJS
It's true, I created the Japanese space back in Jan., and there has only been one page translated: https://docs.strongloop.com/display/JA/LoopBack.  I know there isn't much there, but is it worth keeping?

I could stash it and recreate the space, then copy that content back into the main LoopBack page if it's worthwhile.

And it may take me a couple of days to get to this...

Rand

hash rock

Nov 12, 2015, 8:04:38 AM11/12/15
to LoopbackJS
Thank you for reply!

As you mentioned, the old translated page is not necessary because there isn't much.
After you recreate the space, I could re-translate /JA/Loopback. :)

Hashrock

2015年11月11日水曜日 9時31分41秒 UTC+9 Rand McKinney:

Rand McKinney

Nov 16, 2015, 2:12:30 PM11/16/15
to LoopbackJS
OK, I'll try to get to it in the next day or so.  Will let you know when I've done it and it's ready for you to start work.

Thanks!
Rand

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 17, 2015, 10:21:18 AM11/17/15
to LoopbackJS
Hey !!
We would need French for us here !
I can give a start :-)
A good way for me to learn the platform.

Rand McKinney

Nov 17, 2015, 1:07:49 PM11/17/15
to LoopbackJS
I recreated the Japanese space: https://docs.strongloop.com/display/JA/LoopBack

I went ahead and copied the old Japanese LB "home page" since it was trivial to do.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Happy translating!

Rand

Rand McKinney

Nov 17, 2015, 1:09:42 PM11/17/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi Phillippe,
That's great!

I'll create a new French LoopBack doc space in the next couple days as soon as I have a moment.
Then I'll let you know here.

Thanks,
Rand

hash rock

Nov 17, 2015, 10:35:47 PM11/17/15
to LoopbackJS
Thank you very much!

2015年11月18日水曜日 3時07分49秒 UTC+9 Rand McKinney:

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 18, 2015, 6:54:10 AM11/18/15
to LoopbackJS
Good!!

Rand McKinney

Nov 18, 2015, 8:29:09 PM11/18/15
to LoopbackJS
OK, I created the new space for French docs: https://docs.strongloop.com/display/FR/LoopBack

You can start translating!

Thanks,
Rand

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 19, 2015, 5:40:38 AM11/19/15
to LoopbackJS
Thanks but How to translate ?
Should I send you translated text ?

I have no right to modify.

Philippe

Rand McKinney

Nov 20, 2015, 6:52:50 PM11/20/15
to LoopbackJS
Oops, I didn't set the permissions quite right... sorry, it is fixed now (I double-checked).

Essentially, you just translate each page "in place", that is, replace the English text in each page with your translated text.

Rand

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 25, 2015, 10:01:30 AM11/25/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi Rand
I just began working on the translation modifying title !!!
Was what I did correct ?

Another point ... Would it be possible to set my name as a technical writer ? This is what I am doing at the moment to "finance" my app and would be very happy to get some kind of recognition :-) I imagine the doc is indexed by google. I can contact you directly with a mail if necessary.

Of course, I will go on writing if it is not possible ... (tears)

Thanks

Philippe

Rand McKinney

Nov 25, 2015, 6:24:35 PM11/25/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi Phillipe,
Yes, you're modifying the titles correctly.  When you have time, you should also start translating the text of the pages as well.

Unfortunately, all external users currently use a shared community account, so I can't set the title for you specifically because it will affect everyone else who edits the doc as well.  But you can put your name in the edit comments, as suggested here: https://docs.strongloop.com/display/LB/Contributing+to+LoopBack+documentation#ContributingtoLoopBackdocumentation-Giveyourselfcredit!  That should also get indexed by Google, I would think.

Thanks,
Rand

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 26, 2015, 4:44:42 AM11/26/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi Rand

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I have no update rights on the documentation at the moment ...

Philippe

Philippe Corrèges

Nov 27, 2015, 7:21:17 AM11/27/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi Rand

Maybe you missed this one.
I have no more modification right on the doc.

Thanks

Philippe

hash rock

Dec 16, 2015, 11:34:11 PM12/16/15
to LoopbackJS
Hi, Rand

It seems that I can't login with "community" user now.
Has the password changed?

Thanks,
Hashrock

2015年1月21日水曜日 4時52分18秒 UTC+9 Rand McKinney:
A few folks have asked about translating LoopBack docs into other languages.  At this point we don't have budget for professional translation, but we can help to facilitate translation by the community.

YIN QIU WANG

Feb 23, 2016, 9:54:39 PM2/23/16
to LoopbackJS
Hi Alex and Rand,

We've got a QQ group in China dedicated in the communicating and sharing for StrongLoop and with a bunch of people willing to learn and contribute to the translation of the docs into Chinese.

StrongLoop技术交流 196950958

点击链接加入群【StrongLoop技术交流】:http://jq.qq.com/?_wv=1027&k=2DLVAxf

Thanks.

在 2015年1月28日星期三 UTC+8上午9:06:35,Alex Hu写道:

Nghia Huynh Trong

May 23, 2016, 12:58:02 AM5/23/16
to LoopbackJS
Hello,
My name is Nghia Huynh Trong. I'm from Vietnam.

I'm working full-time as a software engineer and currently using LoopBack for my project.
I've found that translating docs is a good way to learn more about Loopback, for me, and other Vietnamese developers could read them.
I love localization and take part in many open source translation projects (Ubuntu, Moodle, Firefox, Transifex, Amara...).

Please tell me further instructions to start translating into Vietnamese (ISO code: vi).

Thanks,
Nghia

upupzealot