Micro-services/layered API example?

Mike Crowe

Mar 25, 2015, 5:20:16 PM3/25/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

Been pouring thru the docs, and I'm struggling to understand how to use Arc to handle the following.  Say you have break your application into several semi-independent modules:
  • User interface API:  Angular or smart-phone
  • Background worker:  Manages background tasks.  Communicates with other modules using a work queue (using Kue/Redis right now in the current implementation)
  • Some type of data-gathering module (possibly polling external REST/SOAP interfaces)
  • (another micro-service)
  • etc.
Point is, to modularize and use Arc to define the interface between each micro-service.

Are there any pointers for abstracting these services via an API and linking them together?  Then using PM to launch them individually?

Thanks

Líus Fontenelle Carneiro

Mar 27, 2015, 4:40:16 PM3/27/15
to loopb...@googlegroups.com
This is a subject that also interests me. I'm also doing an implementation that uses some principles of micro-services.

I think the LB / Arc can help to get part of what is understood to disaggregate the system into services, but I do not see this as an immediate or later case/goal of these frameworks.

As there are many different solutions that can be used and merged together to get this type of architecture, I see that you need to refine more your basic structure and implement it using the features LB / Arc provides.

I suggest you take a look at another thread on the subject [1]. It was discussed a simpler architecture that uses shared model and shared database.

I think the API Gateway [2] can also help

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Líus