Help with picture-in-picture

Konstantin Samoylov

Jun 20, 2015, 9:23:41 AM6/20/15
to lond...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm working on a project around creating Picture-in-Picture and Picture-outside-Picture video from multiple USB sources. The ultimate goal is to create specific hardware, but to begin we'd like to experiment using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or similar hardware. I'm looking for someone to help with the coding side, or to consult on the project. I'm willing to discuss payment.

Many thanks,
Konstantin

Christian Bianchini

Jun 20, 2015, 9:26:37 AM6/20/15
to Konstantin Samoylov, lond...@googlegroups.com

What is your idea of input? Like to use two external USB card to capture the video?

Konstantin Samoylov

Jun 20, 2015, 9:34:39 AM6/20/15
to Christian Bianchini, lond...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I'm using two USB webcams.
Like this one http://goo.gl/p9iQai

Thanks,
Konstantin
--
С уважением,
Константин Самойлов

Christian Bianchini

Jun 20, 2015, 9:49:26 AM6/20/15
to Konstantin Samoylov, lond...@googlegroups.com

That's good because these cameras have encoding h246 so you don't need to compress it ( if needed ).
I would say you can try to make the PIP with pygame or opencv

Konstantin Samoylov

Jun 20, 2015, 10:02:34 AM6/20/15
to Christian Bianchini, lond...@googlegroups.com, adam banks
Christian, thank you very much!
I'll try to figure out how to use both.
BTW, I'm from the UX world, not engineering. So please expect stupid questions and latency when I figure out tech questions :)

Many thanks,
Konstantin

Christian Bianchini

Jun 20, 2015, 10:06:56 AM6/20/15
to Konstantin Samoylov, adam banks, lond...@googlegroups.com

Ahah its fine. Try to find how to draw a feed of a camera into a canvas.
Like this one http://www.emoticode.net/python/how-to-use-pygame-to-grab-frames-from-you-webcam-and-display-the-video-stream-to-a-window.html

And I am pretty sure you need to use the newer version of rasp otherwise it won't have enough power to compute two wevcam.

Andy from Workshopshed

Jun 20, 2015, 4:32:45 PM6/20/15
to lond...@googlegroups.com, christian...@euservers.net, adamg...@gmail.com, k.sam...@gmail.com
I concur with the others, the new Pi B+ with it's extra power and USB ports, OpenCV is a well respected video processing library so that would be a good approach. I'm afraid I don't know much about video apart from that.

Konstantin Samoylov

Jun 20, 2015, 6:37:19 PM6/20/15
to Christian Bianchini, adam banks, lond...@googlegroups.com
Christian, thank you very much!
I'm going to order a new version of rasp.

Konstantin Samoylov

Jun 20, 2015, 6:38:00 PM6/20/15
to Andy from Workshopshed, lond...@googlegroups.com, Christian Bianchini, adam banks
Andy, thanks a lot!