Project Coffee Fix - new.

groupsck...@dfgh.net

Jun 28, 2016, 7:15:35 AM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
Announcing project coffee fix.

I'd like to improve the coffee supply in London Hackspace.   Most important aim is to be able to get a decent espresso.  To begin with a few simple things.
  • getting a coffee tamper (probably make it - design is on page see below)
  • trying to have espresso coffee available somehow (even if that just means going to a shop)
  • trying to repair an old machine I will bring in

What I'd really like to get is a decent coffee grinder (burr mill of some kind) if someone has a suggestion where/how to get one that would be great.

Project page, together with design for a tamper is here.

   https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Coffee_fix

I don't really have enough knowledge or even motivation for other things people might think we're missing like cold brew coffee, but if anyone else is then we could work together to fix more stuff.

all the best

  Michael

Adrian Godwin

Jun 28, 2016, 7:39:32 AM6/28/16
to london-hack-space
Have you tried the coffee roasters (square mile coffee ?) on Emma Street ?

Not sure if this is a personal project or a group request, but if you want help I may be able to assist.

Toby Catlin

Jun 28, 2016, 7:40:35 AM6/28/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There is lots of commercial grade coffee equipment on ebay. You have to keep looking to find a bargain but I got a Elektra burr grinder for £50. It had plenty of broken plastic and tarnished chrome, but with a new set of burrs and it works great.

Tim Jensma

Jun 28, 2016, 1:00:48 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
More than happy to help.
I have tended to be the one that cleans and fixes the Gaggia Classic we have, but have become a bit jaded and couldn't be bothered to do it for a while. It really needs the case being fixed and some TLC but I've been away.

The biggest issue is that from what I can see, a lot of the people who use it don't care for it. This ranges from just not cleaning out the portafilter after use, to having a dirty and empty reservoir.

What coffee machine were you thinking of bringing in?

There is also a UNIC grinder on eBay (Same as a Macap) that used to be £40 but they have evidently just changed to auction only.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coffee-Grinder-/262499304282?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
It should have 58mm burrs and be quite decent for hackspace use and should be fairly cheap. Alternatively I have 4 commercial grinders at home I could part with, but they are all more expensive pieces.

Mel

Jun 28, 2016, 1:55:44 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
I can buy a coffee grinder from Lakeland. If it packs up for any reason, Lakeland will replace it, as per their guarantee. I get a discount there. Ya'll cool with that?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10780/Krups-Burr-12-Cup-Coffee-Bean-Grinder

I can also get a coffee/espresso machine, but I only have my discount for the next week and a half, before my last day, and I don't know what would be good to have and they can be a bit pricey for me to foot the whole bill for, depending on the model.

Tim Jensma

Jun 28, 2016, 2:32:35 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
Thanks Mel. This may be a useful option.
I believe the Gaggia Classic is still the 'spaces best option for coffee machine, but it really needs more care to be taken by the current users.

Considering the space is having issues with a bombproof Gaggia Classic, any other domestic machine is likely to suffer the same fate quicker.

A Sage smart grinder would work acceptably, but my concern is that they are a bit too plasticy to survive the hackspace, and for the same price a second hand commercial grinder would be cheaper and better.

Mel

Jun 28, 2016, 7:05:21 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
OK, I'll hold off on getting a grinder. Just bear in mind Lakeland will replace (or refund) any item so long as one has the receipt. It doesn't matter what state the item is in. But it may not be the best option if someone has to take it back every two weeks. :)

groupsck...@dfgh.net

Jun 29, 2016, 8:28:18 PM6/29/16
to London Hackspace

So the Coffee Fix page has it's first achievement.  I put a handle on the lid (see photos https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Coffee_fix ) - better progress than many abandoned projects :-)

Answers to everybody's questions/comments/offers below.

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 12:39:32 UTC+1, Adrian Godwin wrote:
Have you tried the coffee roasters (square mile coffee ?) on Emma Street ?

Not yet but I will go tomorrow

Not sure if this is a personal project or a group request, but if you want help I may be able to assist.

I'd love help and other people involved.  If nobody helps I will do what I do.

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 12:40:35 UTC+1, Toby Catlin wrote:
> There is lots of commercial grade coffee equipment on ebay. You have to keep looking to find a bargain but I got a Elektra burr grinder for £50. It had plenty of broken plastic and tarnished chrome, but with a new set of burrs and it works great.

Excellent; I'm not feeling rich enough to contribute right now but that should hopefully change soon.  Would be great if someone sniped one of ebay which we can restore.  I'll put up a pledge page if we don't get one by other meanss and nobody objects.

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 18:00:48 UTC+1, Tim Jensma wrote:More than happy to help.
> I have tended to be the one that cleans and fixes the Gaggia Classic we have, but have become a bit jaded and couldn't be bothered to do it for a while. It really needs the case being fixed and some TLC but I've been away.

> The biggest issue is that from what I can see, a lot of the people who use it don't care for it. This ranges from just not cleaning out the portafilter after use, to having a dirty and empty reservoir.

This is a bastard problem in every hack space I ever heard of.  I'm sure I get into the zone hacking on something and forget to tidy around me.  The only way I can see is for people to tidy up more than the mess they leave and ocasionally kick those that don't.  Given we already have cameras where we work then maybe full on proper true British surveillance in the kitchen is called for?  Possibly with a man shouting "tidy up for the queens guard" at anyone who "forgets" to clean up after themselves?

> What coffee machine were you thinking of bringing in?

I have an old dead Gaggia Class D.  (see photo on coffee fix project page) - it's basically the same idea as the existing one and now that seems to be working properly so I don't know if I will leave it in the space if I succeed in fixing it.

> Alternatively I have 4 commercial grinders at home I could part with, but they are all more expensive pieces.

How much are you looking for?  Should we put that as a target price on a pledge page?

Tim Jensma

Jul 1, 2016, 10:20:48 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace
I have given the machine a basic clean. The group head and shower screen were partially blocked by coffee filth.

The solenoid valve thats vents into the drip tray doesn't seem to be as good as it should be, but didn't have my tools with me to investigate further (Ironic that the workshop downstairs doesn't have basic tools). It's on the list of thing to do.

The pump is getting abused because of filth in the water reservoir. One of the internal ball valves gets intermittently jammed, so I stripped and cleaned it again. This will need replacing if the problem continues.

I've placed a plastic tamper inside the donations box. It is 56mm, and we really need a 58mm, but it's a start.

Most of the grinders I have available are big, with a footprint larger than the coffee machine itself. I'm not sure the kitchen can handle such room being used by coffee gear? Open for debate...

The Gaggia Baby Class D is a more electronic version of the Classic, but the internals are basically the same. I would be interested to have a look at it and am confident with most repairs if you need assistance? I should be available a lot next week.

groupsck...@dfgh.net

Jul 4, 2016, 11:32:45 AM7/4/16
to London Hackspace
Tim: I plan to be in HackSpace on Wednesday morning.  I have already put the Gaggia Class D in the space but will start start to take it apart then.  It would be good to meet.

Probably also be in on thursday, approx 10->12.  I'd definitely appreciate some cooperation with the fix.  I did fix this machine before and it had problems with solder joints on the main circuit board.  I think it's something electronic related to that, though there may be other/multiple problems.

 All the best
  Michael

Tim Jensma

Jul 4, 2016, 12:52:44 PM7/4/16
to London Hackspace
I can meet you on both Wednesday and Thursday mornings. I'll bring some of the tools I usually need for these jobs to ensure its all possible on the day.

Tim Jensma

Jul 6, 2016, 5:46:03 AM7/6/16
to London Hackspace
I'm at hackspace now, near the laser cutter.
is your machine accessible so I can have a look at it?