Blender meetup at London Hackspace ?

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2018, 6:49:15 AM11/19/18
to London Hackspace

Dear Members,

I'm a fresh Hackspace member (3months), and I was wondering if it would be possible to hold a monthly Blender meetup at the hackspace classroom ?

To give some more info, Blender is an open-source 3D modelling package.

I use it for my 3D printed products, but is mostly used for 3D animation.

The meetup will be free, in collaboration with the existing London Blender meetup group.

It will be accessible for Hackspace members, and for members of the public.

It might be a great platform to attract new members.

I'm well aware that I will need to open the door durring the meetup, and make sure the classroom is as I founded after the meetup.

For a start we where thinking of Saturday15 December and Saterday 12 January.

Both running from 1000 till 1600.

As some might have noticed, I posted on the mailing list before to find people who might be interested in setting up a Hackspace group for Open-source Digital makers.

This is something I still want to do, but haven't got much response, so pleases look at my previous post if this is something you might want to help me with.

Best Kevin.

Alexander Corsbie

Nov 19, 2018, 7:08:27 AM11/19/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Kevin

I would be very much interested in this! I am looking to run some D&D sessions and Blender skills would be amazing for designing 3D printed miniatures. I am a mechanical engineer by trade so only have Solidedge experience.

Francis

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2018, 12:09:20 PM11/19/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Francis,

Thanks for your reply.

What kind of minatures are you thinking of, as in what kind of objects do you want to make?
And would you be intereted in attending a Blender meetup, or my joining/attending my previous proposed Hackspace group ?

Best Kevin.

Mark Steward

Nov 19, 2018, 12:14:19 PM11/19/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in spending more time with Blender.

How many people would you expect to turn up?

Mark

Kev Maker

Nov 19, 2018, 12:39:59 PM11/19/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Nice to hear you want to spend some more time with Blender.
More then happy to answer some questions if needed.

The meetup will be in collaboration with the existing Blender London meetup group.
Last week we had 27 people, but it was co organised by Andrew Price, someone familiar in the blender world.
For that meetup Andrew Price booked a room at WeWork, and it was fully booked.
The event run on a Saturday from 1000 till 1600, and we had even some people from Wales and other places outside London.

Looking back at previous Blender meetups (without know Blender people hosting the event ) around 7-12 Meetup signups, and from that 80% showed up.
A meetup has one or two presentations, followed by some networking and showing each other work.
The meetup will be a free event, and accessible for members of course.

It would be great to run some Blender meetups at the Hackspace.

Best Kevin.

Alexander Corsbie

Nov 19, 2018, 2:36:03 PM11/19/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Kev,

I'm looking at creating miniatures for my D&D games. Modelling my own would be cool as at the moment I am just pilfering stuff from thingiverse or shapeways. I'm hoping the hackspace 3D printing group can help bring these models to life. I am very interested in attending a Blender meeting. The other free CAD stuff is less pertinent to me as I use Solidedge for work.

Francis

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2018, 3:07:26 AM11/20/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Francis,

Just to get you started in Blender, I can recommend looking up the following people on YouTube:

Blender Guru-Great all round video tutorials to start with, and get your head arround Blender.
Zacharias Reinhardt-An Blender Artist who uses Sculpting.
On the Blender website store or the blender cloud- Blender for 3D printing.This is a great starting point as well, it covers basic modeling, and 3D printing with Blender.

Please be aware that most video tutorials are for blender 2.7x, and the new 2.8 is on the horizon.
2.8 is still in Alpha stage, and is still heavy in development.
The skills learned in 2.79 are not wasted of course, as the basic Blender workflow will be the same in 2.8(Subdivision modeling, sculpting).

Best Kevin.

Alexander Corsbie

Nov 20, 2018, 5:44:09 AM11/20/18
to London Hackspace
Thanks Kevin

I downloaded Blender last night so will have a look at these tutorials.

Francis

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 8:57:33 AM11/22/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Mark and Members,

Would someone be able to confirm if the meetup can be held in the Hackspace Sat 15 Dec and Sat 12 Jan (possibly Monthly from that date ), and put in the calendar  ?

Thanks Kevin.

Mark Steward

Nov 22, 2018, 9:06:24 AM11/22/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No objections on the list so I've added this. I can't be around on
15th but hope things go well!

Mark

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 2:03:35 PM11/22/18
to London Hackspace
Thanks Mark and Hackspace members, that is great news !

A shame you can't make it, but feel free to ask questions if you have any.
One Question, what is the max capacity in numbers of the classroom ?

Looking forward, Kevin.

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 2:44:14 PM11/22/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Mark and Members,

I noticed on the calendar link I found on the Dungeons  and Dragons Google groups post, that the Blender meetup is booked as a continuous  event between Sat 15 Dec and Sat 12 Jan.

On https://london.hackspace.org.uk/events it looks fine, except the event is not booked in on Sat 12 January.

Thanks for everything, Kevin.

Mark Steward

Nov 22, 2018, 2:48:27 PM11/22/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Fixed, I forgot to change the start time of the second one.

Mark

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 4:36:15 PM11/22/18
to London Hackspace
Thanks for sorting that out.

Kevin.

kevinam...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2018, 6:00:59 AM11/24/18
to London Hackspace
Dear Members,

I'm happy that the Blender meetup is confirmed,it will be held on Saturday 15 December from 1000 in the classroom.

I will hold a small presentation, starting introducing the Hack space to the non members, and then go into 3D printing with blender.
There will be more presentations, Artists TBC.

More details :(No need for Members to sign up on the Meetup)

Hope to see you there !
Kevin.

kevinam...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2018, 10:46:00 AM12/14/18
to London Hackspace
Just a reminder that the Blender meetup is This Saturday, 15th of December, from 10:00 till 12:00 followed by Lunch in the classroom.
Feel free to come, no Meetup signup required for Members.

The classroom will be in use for the meetup till 1500.

Best Kevin.

kevinam...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2018, 11:18:59 AM12/15/18
to London Hackspace

The Blender meetup was a great success, thanks to the fantastic location (London Hack Space) and the great people that where there.

Phil gave a tour after the meetup, and the meetup attendees where well impressed about the space.

If you missed this meetup, please feel free to come to the next one on Saturday 12 January 2019, from 1000 in the classroom.

If there are no objections, I was wondering if there could be another Blender meetup at the classroom and booked in the calendar on Saturday 9th of February and Saturday 9thof March.

Kevin.

Paddy Duncan

Dec 17, 2018, 4:08:49 AM12/17/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

They’re in the calendar now.. let me know if you want to add any extra blurb or whatever J

Paddy

kevinam...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2018, 7:41:23 AM12/17/18
to London Hackspace
Thank you PaddyD.

Concerning the blurb, Would it be OK to add a Blender Meetup sub group to the Hackspace wiki at some, to link to from the calender ?

Best Kevin.

Alexander Corsbie

Dec 17, 2018, 8:00:06 AM12/17/18
to London Hackspace