Mini-lathe problems.

Billy

Dec 1, 2011, 2:23:31 AM12/1/11
to London Hackspace

I did some maintenance last night, and i worked out what is wrong with
the mini-lathe.

On the cross-slide, the nut that connects the cross-slide plate to the
lead-screw was loose. I adjusted the gib, though i'd like Luke or Abby
to check my work on that.

It's cleaned and oiled and re-assembled. The action feels a lot
smoother.

This leads on to the second problem. The action on the compound rest
still wasn't right. After testing and tweaking, i isolated the fault
to the lead screw housing. When i dismantled it, i found the lead-
screw is bent.

It'll need replacing.

We could order it from Chester, or we can make one oursleves...

Glen

Dec 1, 2011, 7:07:16 AM12/1/11
to London Hackspace
Everything on that lathe is off true, if you align all the curves
right you can cut straight lines.

Also all the plastic parts appear to be made from the cheapest plastic
available, we need to print it some new parts.

Simon Howes

Dec 1, 2011, 8:21:19 AM12/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hello billaah,

What size thread is it? I can bring in my tailstock die holder and we can make one on the 3 in 1. Its a pretty cool process!

Billy

Dec 1, 2011, 2:01:13 PM12/1/11
to London Hackspace

There are three threads. On the narrower part of the shaft, there's a
very fine thread, that's for moving the compound rest. On the thicker
end of the piece, there's a short thick thread for the locknuts, and
there's a small internal thread for the screw that holds the handle in
place.

The whole thing is definitely make-able on the 3in1. It's in a box on
the mini-lathe, with the rest of the parts of the compound rest.

That was one idea that me and Jose had this morning. We need to start
making spare parts for the machinery we've got. Sure, ordering them in
would be quicker, but making them would be more satisfying as we''d
learn more.