[lasercutter] Update 05/12/16

Charles Yarnold

Dec 4, 2016, 9:28:22 PM12/4/16
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hello all,

Starting a new thread for obvious reasons.

Henry and I were in tonight and switched out the new tube, it was so nice compared to the old machine, machine screws are so much nicer connections than trying to solder to corroded terminals for hours. The new tube is happy and powerful as the last (but rated for a whole 1w less than the last!).

Currently we are seeing an issue with the cuts however, so we are currently in the process of getting this diagnosed and fixed, updates when we have them. We don't currently have an eta for this.

Best,

Sol

p.s. the maintainers want it back up and running as much as you do, I've got a usb key full of designs and a pile of acrylic sat next to me, please bare with us and give us the benefit of the doubt when you hear we for some unspecified reason don't want it working!

Alexander Baxevanis

Dec 5, 2016, 3:53:32 AM12/5/16
to London Hackspace
Thanks for the effort guys, really don't understand why anyone should think that you deliberately want to keep the lasercutter out of service!

(To everyone who says "add more maintainers" .... 9 women don't make a baby in 1 month etc.)

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 7, 2016, 9:09:16 PM12/7/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Two laser questions!

1) I saw the (presumably old, dead) laser tube on top of the rubbish
pile tonight. Would you mind if I salvaged the metal end-caps from it?
I'd like to see if they're derived from CF12 vacuum flanges, because
they look about the right size.

2) Are the runbox dimensions sent to the laser as separate parameters,
or does the laser itself work out the runbox on demand each time the
function is requested by the PC or control panel? I'm wondering if it's
practical to record the bounding box of all the jobs done on the laser
to asses the bed area utilisation.

deanforbes

Dec 8, 2016, 2:15:20 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
I am interested would like the old tube

Henry Sands

Dec 8, 2016, 2:30:40 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
Unfortunately Artag has beaten you to it, he requested the old tube first.

The run box dimensions are calculated by the PC/controller. every time a run is requested AFAIK, it just calculates the smallest box possible and sends that. Short answer is no as no output is generated, not anything we can get at anyway.

Henry.

deanforbes

Dec 8, 2016, 2:47:59 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
cool - I am sure it will be put to good use :-)

Russ Garrett

Dec 8, 2016, 3:38:20 AM12/8/16
to London Hack Space
On 8 December 2016 at 07:30, 'Henry Sands' via London Hackspace
<london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> The run box dimensions are calculated by the PC/controller. every time a run
> is requested AFAIK, it just calculates the smallest box possible and sends
> that. Short answer is no as no output is generated, not anything we can get
> at anyway.

I think the bounding box is actually calculated by the controller
itself, as you can do the equivalent of "run box" by pressing the
"test" button on the panel. At any rate, if the machine is set to
relative/"immediate" mode then the bounding box of the job is not
sufficient to calculate where on the bed it's cut - you also need the
current position of the head which only the controller knows.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold