Hackspace phone

benjamin winston

Jan 27, 2012, 1:20:25 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Has had an upgrade. The old phone is in the two week bin, if the owner or whomever wants it.

Charles Yarnold

Jan 27, 2012, 1:26:10 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

What was wrong with it? It was from me so please put a do not hack sticker on it.

Paddy Duncan

Jan 27, 2012, 1:42:44 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Binatone is an upgrade?

Charles Yarnold

Jan 27, 2012, 1:58:36 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Can I check it's been removed from the 3 week bin? Last time it was "broken" it was a 30 second fix

Paddy Duncan

Jan 27, 2012, 2:02:36 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I’ve oiked it out, and shut the door, and replaced the coin tray…

Where would you like it put?

Paddy

Charles Yarnold

Jan 27, 2012, 2:06:41 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

If you could pop a sticker on it and place it in the members area that would be brill, should have a set of keys with it too.

Thanks

Charles

Paddy Duncan

Jan 27, 2012, 2:27:11 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sorted, and it’s all there..

Mark Steward

Jan 27, 2012, 2:29:50 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Have I misread that? Did you really just chuck the phone in the two week bin because it was left off the hook today?

I think you've got rules 4 and 5 back to front:

  http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Rules

Mark

Paddy Duncan

Jan 27, 2012, 2:29:11 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

..end of last corridor, on top, by the water heater

benjamin winston

Jan 27, 2012, 2:50:56 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sorry Mark, didn't mean to upset you. I didn't consider it to be major, like changing phone provider or number or removing the facility entirely, rather just fixing the problem as per rule 4.

Anyway, no harm done, your phone is safe with a sticker and where you need it.

Thanks

benjamin winston

Jan 27, 2012, 2:52:35 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Thankyou Paddy, my hero. I would have had to do this tomorrow myself otherwise!

Glad I let you know what was going on so we could keep everything well handled.

Bambam

Mark Steward

Jan 27, 2012, 3:04:46 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Fair enough, it's just a good idea to check it isn't someone's project. Nobody's needed to rely on the phone before, so it seemed a little premature.

Not upset or anything, I've certainly made the same mistake before.  Thanks for mailing the list.

Mark

Sci

Jan 27, 2012, 3:08:32 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Can I be the only one surprised we don't have an Asterisk machine tied
into the phone & skype services yet?

benjamin winston

Jan 27, 2012, 3:10:14 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Make it happen.

Jan 27, 2012, 3:19:59 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sci. A few of us talk about it but never get around to doing it.

Adrian Godwin

Jan 27, 2012, 5:06:11 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I thought skype was banned for religious reasons ?

-adrian

tom

Jan 27, 2012, 5:57:35 PM1/27/12
to London Hackspace
were working on it. the biggest is hurdle is the 50 odd quid for an
FXO card, other than that we have a machine and 2 nice Cisco SIP
phones to use

Sci

Jan 27, 2012, 6:19:51 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Once I've had the time to do it at home first.

On 27/01/2012 20:10, benjamin winston wrote:
> Make it happen.
>
> On Jan 27, 2012 8:08 PM, "Sci" <s...@sci-fi-fox.com

Jan 27, 2012, 6:24:29 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
what i do wonder is..

why not get a sip number, and then it's all software?

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Sci

Jan 27, 2012, 6:31:34 PM1/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Unless things have changed, not all calls are cheaper over the net
depending on phone package.
Unless I'm assuming wrongly, Asterisk can be set up with rule-sets so
it'll do the call through whatever option is cheapest at the time?

James Broadhead

Jan 28, 2012, 11:40:24 AM1/28/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Does the 'space have a spectrum analyser? If so, someone should take a
look at the output from the phone, as cheap DECT phones tend to
continuously pump quite a lot of power. Better models of base-station
limit their transmit time when inactive.

It would also be fun to mess around with this, if the equipment is
available. (What is the legality of decrypting traffic to/from your
own phone here in the UK?)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/08/dect_phone_encryption_cracked/
http://cist.korea.ac.kr/~fse2010/content/slide/Cryptanalysis%20of%20the%20DECT%20Standard%20Cipher.pdf

Si765

Jan 28, 2012, 1:51:13 PM1/28/12
to London Hackspace

Hi a few phone related things.
It is important that the space maintains a working phone and that it
is used if an emergency call ever needs to be made. The emergency
services are more likely to find a location quickly if called from a
fixed line.

Any kind of VoIP will cut into bandwidth especially on adsl with
limited outward bandwidth
If anyone wants to set up a voice service server in the space I have
some spare fxo to Ethernet devices
I also have a dect analyser which I could bring down some time.

Si

On Jan 28, 4:40 pm, James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 18:42, Paddy Duncan <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Binatone is an upgrade?

Monty

Jan 28, 2012, 1:53:12 PM1/28/12
to London Hackspace
It's not a cordless phone...

On Jan 28, 4:40 pm, James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 18:42, Paddy Duncan <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Binatone is an upgrade?

James Broadhead

Jan 28, 2012, 3:21:53 PM1/28/12

On Jan 28, 2012 6:53 PM, "Monty" <mont...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not a cordless phone...

Oh! There _is_ a cordless phone in the 2 week box, but a fixed-line is a much better idea if it's intended for emergencies.

Si765

Jan 28, 2012, 6:43:37 PM1/28/12
to London Hackspace

I wasn't suggesting using a cordless phone , the dect stuff was in
reply to a previous post.
As was the offer of the fxo hardware.

Sorry if this was not clear but I am having to post on a crap phone
due to lack of broadband

Katie Sutton

Jan 29, 2012, 6:59:51 AM1/29/12
On 28 January 2012 18:51, Si765 <simon....@sls-ltd.com> wrote:
> is used if an emergency call ever needs to be made.  The emergency
> services are more likely to find a location quickly if called from a
> fixed line.

FWIW if you call 112 instead of 999 from a mobile, they can trace your
location fairly easily. You can call 112 without signal from your own
provider as well, where as I *think* 999 only works on your own
network.

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Mark Steward

Jan 29, 2012, 8:07:46 AM1/29/12
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:
On 28 January 2012 18:51, Si765 <simon....@sls-ltd.com> wrote:
> is used if an emergency call ever needs to be made.  The emergency
> services are more likely to find a location quickly if called from a
> fixed line.

FWIW if you call 112 instead of 999 from a mobile, they can trace your
location fairly easily. You can call 112 without signal from your own
provider as well, where as I *think* 999 only works on your own
network.

I'm not sure that's true. I believe the SIM can contain information on additional numbers that should be treated as emergency (so a US phone off ebay will still treat 999 as an emergency call, doing automatic unlock and roaming if necessary), but I can't imagine it makes any difference on the network side.

Mark

Si765

Jan 29, 2012, 2:51:14 PM1/29/12
to London Hackspace

On Jan 29, 1:07 pm, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:
> > On 28 January 2012 18:51, Si765 <simon.fran...@sls-ltd.com> wrote:
> > > is used if an emergency call ever needs to be made.  The emergency
> > > services are more likely to find a location quickly if called from a
> > > fixed line.
>
> > FWIW if you call 112 instead of 999 from a mobile, they can trace your
> > location fairly easily. You can call 112 without signal from your own
> > provider as well, where as I *think* 999 only works on your own
> > network.
>
> I'm not sure that's true. I believe the SIM can contain information on
> additional numbers that should be treated as emergency (so a US phone off
> ebay will still treat 999 as an emergency call, doing automatic unlock and
> roaming if necessary), but I can't imagine it makes any difference on the
> network side.
>
> Mark

On uk mobile networks there is no difference between the handling of
999 and 112. Any phone registering to a countries network will be
able to make emergency calls on that network. Auto unlock is
dependent on the handset manufacturer most program all numbers
(911,112,999 +others) some only program the numbers for the country of
sale.

Having recently seen the difference in data available to the
dispatcher (and in many areas this is feed directly to the emergency
crew) I would always dial an emergency call from a land line if
possible as address details are passed automatically. Mobiles can be
located but not instantly, there is also more room for error as humans
are passing the data. When you dial 999 or 112 from a mobile at the
moment you will here "this is ........ connecting mobile ************
" This is the mobile call centre connecting you to the emergency call
centre. This is still a manual process.

I am currently trying to get figures on how many london ambulance call
outs arrive at the correct address first time and whether the call
came from a mobile or landline. I know all this information is kept
it is just a case of wording the freedom of information request
correctly.