PulseJets

Simon Howes

Dec 15, 2011, 8:06:32 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Dear peeps,

I've decided the hax is not nearly dangerous or noisy enough and I'd like to offer an overcomplicated solution to this problem *trollface*... A pulsejet!

More specifically, a micro one.

In the vein of crowdsourcing i was wonder:
.has anyone made one? Has one?
.does anyone know of any plans online for a teensy one (free would be ideal)

That is all

Anish

Dec 15, 2011, 8:15:36 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I am keen on building one, have seen it in action in R/C shows, know a bit of theory :)

From: Simon Howes <simonh...@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:06:32 +0000
Subject: [london-hack-space] PulseJets

Simon Howes

Dec 15, 2011, 9:15:21 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Okay, I've come up with a few ghetto pulsejet designs suited for the attentionally deficit. Will prolly try them tonite

tom

Dec 15, 2011, 9:41:39 AM12/15/11
to London Hackspace
is this because we talked about jet engines yesterday?

i suppose i could compromise on a pulse jet /sad face

On Dec 15, 2:15 pm, Simon Howes <simonhowes...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I've come up with a few ghetto pulsejet designs suited for the
> attentionally deficit. Will prolly try them tonite

>  On Dec 15, 2011 1:15 PM, "Anish" <anish.moham...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > **

> > I am keen on building one, have seen it in action in R/C shows, know a bit
> > of theory :)
> > Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

> > ------------------------------
> > *From: * Simon Howes <simonhowes...@googlemail.com>
> > *Sender: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
> > *Date: *Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:06:32 +0000
> > *To: *<london-h...@googlegroups.com>
> > *ReplyTo: * london-h...@googlegroups.com
> > *Subject: *[london-hack-space] PulseJets

Amran

Dec 15, 2011, 9:47:20 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
pictures please!

Amran

Dec 15, 2011, 9:56:28 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
tom - what happened to the idea of using an old turbo and a baked beans can to get a jet up and running? did it go nowhere?

Anish Mohammed

Dec 15, 2011, 10:30:53 AM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
btw be warned they are very noisy....100db + close range

Jasper Wallace

Dec 15, 2011, 5:39:01 PM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Google for 'jam jar pulse jet'.

Wear eye protection...

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Michael Shiloh

Dec 15, 2011, 5:41:32 PM12/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
a friend made pulsejets out of wood. cut the shapes in layers then glued
them together. ran until they burned up.

perhaps google for "wood pulse jets" or i can ask my friend

--
Michael Shiloh
Artist, designer, tinkerer, teacher, geek

Matte

Dec 16, 2011, 5:12:36 AM12/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's OK I always use eye protection when googling...

t...@christwithfries.net

Dec 16, 2011, 5:22:59 AM12/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've been dancing around building a pulsejet ever since I saw the
youtube video of one strapped to a pushbike. Count me in for any high DB
shenanigans in the space.

Simon Howes

Dec 16, 2011, 5:34:48 AM12/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Helooo,

I made a little cute brass one-way valve last night on the lathe.
Alas, the pulley on the lathe then gimped so i had to stop making my combustion chamber :/

Gonna fix it at lunch today and see if i can finish it.
According to one of the pages (badly paraphrased here) you can make pretty much anything run as a pulsejet as long as the exhaust tube is long enough. So I'm going to just heat the engine till its redhot with a blowtorch and introduce fuel.

Looking at some peeps construction projects it doesnt look like making an engine from scratch is really too much of a mission on a lathe. Mainly though you need to stear away from welding as we dont have a tig welder and welding sheet metal is a black art.

I'll tell you how it goes

Anish Mohammed

Dec 16, 2011, 7:33:22 AM12/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
HI Simon,
 please do post some photos of your progress :). Probably drop down to HS when u run the tests :-)
regards
Anish