The State of the Space - You are not entitled to your opinion

Akki

Oct 6, 2012, 5:42:33 AM10/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Preface: Title of post is from this: http://theconversation.edu.au/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978
tl;dr " “I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘everyone is entitled to their opinion.’ Perhaps you’ve even said it yourself, maybe to head off an argument or bring one to a close. Well, as soon as you walk into this room, it’s no longer true. You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”

There's been a major shift in the Hackspace as of late.

This is due to a series of major rule bending happening.

Some of it is because some people think it's in the benefit of the Space (without fully and openly consulting the rest of members) and some of it is purely because they don't see it as hurting the Space.

Rules that have been bent in the last few weeks:

* If you're doing something major, email the list first. (This rule should really have a minimum 48hr BEFORE rule attached to it)

* Do not treat the Hackspace like your home.

* Again and repeatedly violated is the EMAIL THE LIST BEFORE YOU LEAVE THINGS WITH A DO NOT HACK STICKER ON IT. BE.FORE. And fill out the sticker fully or else it is not valid (this means date of removal and email address)

* Carefully consider the true usefulness of an item before bringing it to the space. Disposal requires effort and space is limited.  Seek permission for large items.

* Workbenches should be completely clean when you leave - be considerate for the next user. Please put tools back where you found them.

* If you have engaged in any waste generating activity (e.g. peeling wires), hoover the spot.

* Please do not bring bikes into the space unless you are working on them, they take up too much room.

If the Hackspace was one single member, it'd be bounced out the door for the number of violations it's had. But it's not, it's a group of people. As such with so many violations of the rules going on, there's an underlying current of rage. The Trustees cannot (and will not) deal with this. It is up to YOU to stop being a dick(be more polite, less insults). It is up to YOU to clean up after yourself. It is up to YOU to be responsible for stuff you bring into the Space. Don't apologise for bad behaviour - just stop doing it.

Because the rules are being repeatedly bent, people are getting angry. People are avoiding the space. It's no longer the buzz of creativity and making things it once was. The space is being stifled by bad behaviour because some people feel the need to have a leader/punisher/headmaster of the space. Well, that's not how hackspace works. It's not how life works.

If you see someone violating any of these rules, stand up to them. Speak out. If you don't feel you can speak out to them directly, call out their behaviour on the mailing list. Be open, be transparent. Be truthful.

~Akki (who is now going to run out and enjoy the autumnal sunshine)

Clare Greenhalgh

Oct 6, 2012, 11:14:56 AM10/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Akki, I just have a quick question for you.... What are the trustees going to do about it? You seem to be taking the voice for everyone and being very instructive. As you are simply repeating rules would it not have been better to make this a more diplomatic email and say "look at the rules, people have been ignoring them and that is why people have been ranting" rather than exploding everywhere.

You are a member. I think this subject would have been dealt with by the trustees.

This email sounds as though it has been written by the director of the space, and for that reason I feel it is wrong. We have trustees not directors and are a group not a company.

Have a lovely time in the sun,
Noko

Jonty Wareing

Oct 6, 2012, 12:00:17 PM10/6/12