Big Bubble Space Chairs up for grabs ...

Jon Russell

Apr 25, 2017, 11:24:10 AM4/25/17
to London Hackspace
Hi,

My office is disposing of two big bubble space chairs.

The are scuffed and could do with a rub down and respray. They spin round.

However, the reason we're getting rid of them, is the bearing at the bottom has worn out and now they wobble and potentially topple over.

I haven't had time to delve any deeper, but I guess they come apart with a big bolt. But it might need some fibre glass to build up the worn area ? or a new bearing if its a standard size ?

If anyone wants them, or the space wants them, you will need to find a way to collect them. They wont fit in my car. They are huge. About 5 feet high. But very funky.

You're welcome to come down to the office and have a look. We're in Brick Lane.

Regards,

Jon.

Antonio

Apr 25, 2017, 2:56:31 PM4/25/17
to London Hackspace
That's a great restoration project. They are really cool!

I would happily take them off your hands. I'll PM you later.

Cheers,
Antonio

John Jordan

Apr 26, 2017, 2:35:40 AM4/26/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would love one to have a go at!

Could do some cool mods lighting sound etc

Antonio

Apr 26, 2017, 5:48:33 PM4/26/17
to London Hackspace
After checking them out I have to give up. My project was to restore them fully and I don't have the time&resources to commit to this.now.
They are at my place. If anyone else is interested I can take them to HS (provided you get your storage request approved first) and I'll cover the cost. If you have your own transport I will give you a hand, but they don't fit in a standard car, not even a  black cab, it needs to be a van or SUV.

The chairs look really great. The only problem is that they are wobbly and they need a new metal cup on the upper side (see pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-HnE0gx34xPeUpEdUZ0ekt5cHM). There is a pic of similar chairs in good condition, the others are the actual chairs we are discussing here.

In pics-1 2 and 3 you can see what needs repairing. There is a cup in the upper side of the ball where the rod fits. The cup has been slightly oversized by use and now it's wobbly. It is fixed with resin to the upper side of the chair. So ideally you would need to replace that cup or make it fit snuggly again to stop the wobbliness. All other defects are aesthetic.

Any takers please let me know before the end of the week.

Cheers!
Antonio

deanforbes

Apr 27, 2017, 2:16:40 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
I am happy to shift them (if they fit which I think they will) on the same basis :-)

John Jordan

Apr 27, 2017, 3:12:41 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
One each Dean?

John Jordan

Apr 27, 2017, 3:13:07 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
then we can mod them both?

Antonio

May 1, 2017, 5:40:50 AM5/1/17
to London Hackspace
These need to go now I am afraid. I cannot store them here after this weekend.
If anyone has a real interest, please let me know and let's discuss collection arrangements urgently.
Otherwise I will give them away tomorrow.

Cheers,
Antonio