Lost centre finder

Mel

Jul 22, 2016, 7:42:09 PM7/22/16
to London Hackspace
Hello,

I may have left my centre finder in the basement of the space a week or two ago. It's a piece of yellow plastic, roughly diamond shaped with an odd shaped hole in the middle. If found, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mel

Giacomo Giacomo

Jul 23, 2016, 1:19:15 PM7/23/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry to say I haven't seen it.  What is it and whats it used for?

Mel

Jul 23, 2016, 3:23:17 PM7/23/16
to London Hackspace
It's used to find the centre of a wood blank for wood turning. I guess it can be used to find a centre on anything it will fit on, for whatever reason, but I use it on my blanks.

tim_n

Jul 25, 2016, 5:05:02 AM7/25/16
to London Hackspace
If it's any consolation, I didn't know these existed and am going to knock one up for my lathe, so thanks :)

Martin Lee

Jul 25, 2016, 1:24:56 PM7/25/16
to London Hackspace
They're pretty handy!  I made one on the laser cutter (L shape and then glued on a straight edge at 45°)

There's a few examples online for laser cut and 3D printed ones.

Mel

Jul 28, 2016, 2:54:37 PM7/28/16
to London Hackspace
I found my centre finder. At home, on my bookcase for some reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  So now I have two, since I ordered a new one. :) At least I'm prepared if I lose it again.

I've found a laser printable file on Instructables for a centre finder and I might make some of those when the laser cutter is all happy again. I've not used the laser cutter since being inducted, so it might be emotional.

JJ

Jul 28, 2016, 4:37:41 PM7/28/16
to London Hackspace
On the positive side, a momentary lapse of cluefullness on your part has introduced about two and a half thousand people to the existence of a thing for finding centres. Good job well done!

JJ