Compound Mitre Saw pledge

Elliot West

Dec 12, 2011, 6:18:08 AM12/12/11
to London Hackspace
Hi,

The Compound Mitre Saw pledge seems to have stalled. Currently we are waiting for payment from:
  • AbbyKatt
  • spooq
If those that haven't yet paid still intend to honour the pledge, can you please attempt to pay soon so that we can finalize the pledge and purchase the saw. If you no longer wish to pledge, can you please let this be known so that we might find other willing members.

I'm not certain who is overseeing this pledge (AbbyKatt?) but if - for whatever reason - said person can no longer run the pledge, I will happily volunteer to take it over.

I'm not trying to tread on any toes and I apologise in advance if I have - I just needed to use a saw of this type at the weekend :)

Thanks - Elliot.

Simon Howes

Dec 12, 2011, 6:42:43 AM12/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'll have to drop this in in cash. Lloyds dont seem to want to let me pae the HS.

Adrian Godwin

Dec 12, 2011, 7:59:53 AM12/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I was in B&Q the other day, they had a Rage saw on offer at £150. I'm
not entirely sure if it was the same (it was the bigger of two such
saws that they sell) but it might be worth checking.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Dec 16, 2011, 5:46:30 PM12/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've checked this. The Rage 3 XL (250mm blade) is currently £159.
blades are £40 (possibly cheaper elsewhere). The Rage 3 220mm is £119.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Dec 16, 2011, 5:49:09 PM12/16/11
On 16 December 2011 22:46, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've checked this. The Rage 3 XL (250mm blade) is currently £159.
> blades are £40 (possibly cheaper elsewhere). The Rage 3 220mm is £119.

The XL was the one we were looking at, so if someone could go pick one
up from B&Q and send me the receipt, then we'll have a little surplus
cash left over for blades.

(The blades are £32 from Machine Mart as per the wiki page.)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Dec 17, 2011, 5:03:29 PM12/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Unless someone says they have bought it I will be picking a Rage XL up on my way into the space tomorrow (sunday)

Sol

tom

Dec 18, 2011, 5:36:22 AM12/18/11
to London Hackspace
youre bringing rage to the space? NEVER

On Dec 17, 10:03 pm, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless someone says they have bought it I will be picking a Rage XL up on
> my way into the space tomorrow (sunday)
>
> Sol
>

> On 16 December 2011 22:49, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 16 December 2011 22:46, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've checked this. The Rage 3 XL (250mm blade) is currently £159.
> > > blades are £40 (possibly cheaper elsewhere). The Rage 3 220mm is £119.
>
> > The XL was the one we were looking at, so if someone could go pick one
> > up from B&Q and send me the receipt, then we'll have a little surplus
> > cash left over for blades.
>
> > (The blades are £32 from Machine Mart as per the wiki page.)
>
> > --
> > Russ Garrett

> > r...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Dec 18, 2011, 9:37:56 AM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The saw is now in the space.

It is a Fury 3 XL with rage technology, and is the exact same spec as the rage 3 XL, just painted green rather than orange!

Happy raging!

Sol

Elliot West

Dec 18, 2011, 12:24:44 PM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Happy raging!

> Sol

RAAAARRGGHHH!!!

Thank you :)

Niels

Dec 19, 2011, 4:49:42 AM12/19/11
to London Hackspace
Are we putting a key lock on it as originally proposed?

Adrian Godwin

Dec 19, 2011, 5:03:11 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, probably something like the one on the lathe could be fitted in
the lead. It's a little awkward but would be better than nothing. Was
that from Farnell ? Or some more convenient local retailer ?

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Dec 19, 2011, 5:07:16 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A quick method : get a large padlock and put it around the plug such
that it can't be put in a socket.

-adrian

Kimball Johnson

Dec 19, 2011, 5:08:14 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How amazingly low tech....

Niels

Dec 19, 2011, 6:04:08 AM12/19/11
to London Hackspace
I have a key stop identical to the large one in my box - in fact takes
the same keys. Bought for this purpose, actually.

Figured that anyone safe to play with a lathe is ok with
RAAAAGE!!!!!!! And visa versa....

On Dec 19, 10:08 am, Kimball Johnson <kimb...@bowerham.net> wrote:
> How amazingly low tech....
>

> On 19 December 2011 10:07, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > A quick method : get a large padlock and put it around the plug such
> > that it can't be put in a socket.
>
> > -adrian
>

> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yes, probably something like the one on the lathe could be fitted in
> >> the lead. It's a little awkward but would be better than nothing. Was
> >> that from Farnell ? Or some more convenient local retailer ?
>
> >> -adrian

Tim Hutt

Dec 19, 2011, 7:12:11 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This doesn't really affect me, since I've left London now (and I've
been waiting for the saw for so long!), but I'm not sure a key-stop is
definitely a good idea.

It will lead to the same kind of how-on-earth-do-I-get-a-key issues
that have happened with the lathe. Not that I want to bring it up
again but I sympathise with Glen -- I think I read the mailing list
fairly closely, and I don't recall any announcements about keys being
actually available, or who to contact about it, nor what you need to
do to be eligible to get the key, or when you can demonstrate
eligibility.

Furthermore, the safety implications of the circular saw are obvious.
It's a big freakin' saw blade! What exactly are you expecting people
with key to know that isn't completely obvious?

I just want you to be aware that there is a cost to adding a key-stop,
and I don't think there is a huge benefit. On the other hand I think
an oyster-card system would be much much more worth it, since access
can be easily added quickly and remotely, and if it gets broken you
will be able to tell who did it! Last I heard someone was actually
working on the tool access control system, so maybe it would be better
to wait for that...

Amran

Dec 19, 2011, 7:30:33 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

It will lead to the same kind of how-on-earth-do-I-get-a-key issues
that have happened with the lathe. Not that I want to bring it up
again but I sympathise with Glen -- I think I read the mailing list
fairly closely, and I don't recall any announcements about keys being
actually available, or who to contact about it, nor what you need to
do to be eligible to get the key, or when you can demonstrate
eligibility.

i suspect glens frustration is an isolated incident.

perhaps the process for issuing keys and guidance for obtaining one needs to be more thoroughly defined by the community. its not really clear at the moment

Furthermore, the safety implications of the circular saw are obvious.
It's a big freakin' saw blade! What exactly are you expecting people
with  key to know that isn't completely obvious?

I just want you to be aware that there is a cost to adding a key-stop,
and I don't think there is a huge benefit.

theres a big benefit. at the very least, a brief safety introduction. i wouldnt hesitate using the rage saw, but there are definitely features/functions that i dont know or realise, which would help me use the thing safely and *correctly* and not like some arrogant cowboy (wouldnt be my first time - see my previous 'oops' emails over mini bandsaw blades etc)

On the other hand I think
an oyster-card system would be much much more worth it, since access
can be easily added quickly and remotely, and if it gets broken you
will be able to tell who did it! Last I heard someone was actually
working on the tool access control system, so maybe it would be better
to wait for that...

in terms of process, i dont see how a key is any different to the oyster (yes, im aware its easier to admin, and has auditing)

im sure russ will paste the appropriate github link to the project shortly, and hopefully with '?wv' equivalent phrasing ;)

Charles Yarnold

Dec 19, 2011, 7:35:04 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently working on a proposal for a oyster based system, and will be fleshing it out to put for community approval the week after next.

Sol

Tim Hutt

Dec 19, 2011, 7:47:41 AM12/19/11
On 19 December 2011 12:30, Amran <amx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i suspect glens frustration is an isolated incident.

Well, two isolated incidents -- I was frustrated too! Not to the
extent that Glen was though because I didn't pay for any of the lathe.
I did pay for some of the fury (with rage technology) though!

> perhaps the process for issuing keys and guidance for obtaining one needs to
> be more thoroughly defined by the community. its not really clear at the
> moment

Yes.

> theres a big benefit. at the very least, a brief safety introduction. i
> wouldnt hesitate using the rage saw, but there are definitely
> features/functions that i dont know or realise, which would help me use the
> thing safely and *correctly* and not like some arrogant cowboy (wouldnt be
> my first time - see my previous 'oops' emails over mini bandsaw blades etc)

Yeah I can the need see with the lathe, and the bandsaw, because
they're both relatively complicated to use. But there really is
nothing to the saw. I just can't think what you'd say in a brief
safety introduction... "Make sure things that should be locked or
clamped are. Don't put you hands under the blade!". Doesn't seem worth
it. Or at least it is so trivial you could put it in a video, and add
a label saying "You must have watched this 3 minute
instructional/safety video before using: ..." I think that would be
far less annoying and just as effective.

If people agree to this by Tuesday, I will even make such a video (I'm
temporarily in London until then).

Kimball Johnson

Dec 19, 2011, 7:57:18 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Or at least it is so trivial you could put it in a video, and add
> a label saying "You must have watched this 3 minute
> instructional/safety video before using: ..." I think that would be
> far less annoying and just as effective.
>
> If people agree to this by Tuesday, I will even make such a video (I'm
> temporarily in London until then).

I would say such a video would be useful, even if a key system is
still decided on. Going to be much easier to do a safety briefing if
a video has already been watched.

Kimball

Niels

Dec 19, 2011, 8:02:10 AM12/19/11
to London Hackspace
I have always considered the key stops to be a temporary, non optimal
measure.

An oyster card system is obviously the full solution.

I have observed an attempt to use the lathe that was dangerous. In
addition, on several occasions I have witnessed a failure to
understand that power tools have a secondary function as projectile
launchers. The Rage has a substantial capability in this area.

In addition, it is quite easy to ruin the blade and the alignment on a
tool like this.

Dave Ingram

Dec 19, 2011, 8:05:26 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Kimball Johnson
+1 for safety/intro videos for all the major tools (e.g. lathe, laser
cutter, etc). Sounds like a useful way to get to know them, or to
refresh your memory.

Martin Klang

Dec 19, 2011, 8:12:47 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

<£0.02-warning>

On the subject of key-locks, access restriction, and compulsory training:

Machines like the lathe are complicated to use and provide innumerable ways for an unexperienced user to cause damage to themselves and/or the equipment.
Even with their best intentions and common sense in sufficient supply.
Therefore compulsory training and a lock is, imho, well justified.

However the chop saw is a very straightforward tool: it has a sharp blade which spins very fast and eats fingers. This _is_ obvious.

Training is always a good thing, and I'd be up for learning more from an experienced member: how to do complicated cuts et c.

However what training is so important, from a safety point of view, that it must be compulsory?
- Don't use to trim your nails.
- Don't stop blade with hand.

The workshop, being a workshop, will never be 'safe', there are always ways to hurt yourself with tools.
Perhaps we can make this clear at the entrance, perhaps we write a disclaimer to the effect that no-one must use any tool they don't know how to use.

But, word of note, talking down to members will set us on a path where we end up behaving like the children we treat ourselves as.

/m

Martin Klang

Dec 19, 2011, 8:21:23 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

tl;dr
everything in my mail was already said <=20mins ago.

/mx

Niels

Dec 19, 2011, 8:21:51 AM12/19/11
to London Hackspace
All true - however I have seen some fairly crazy things happening.
Mostly in the relm of not clamping stuff properly first. The first
time something goes zinging across the space it is entertaining... The
third time it is just annoying to be franks

The other issue is what happened to the chop saw that was brought into
the space earlier - the blade was blunted extremely rapidly. I wonder
how many £40 blades we will go through in a year.

Amran

Dec 19, 2011, 8:23:55 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

If people agree to this by Tuesday, I will even make such a video (I'm
temporarily in London until then).

awesome idea Tim. i hope you do it.

does LHS have its own youtube channel?

Amran

Dec 19, 2011, 8:25:05 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I have observed an attempt to use the lathe that was dangerous. In
addition, on several occasions I have witnessed a failure to
understand that power tools have a secondary function as projectile
launchers. The Rage has a substantial capability in this area.

In addition, it is quite easy to ruin the blade and the alignment on a
tool like this.

this is what i meant about being able to use equipment carefully.  it wouldnt have been obvious to me. thanks for that

Russ Garrett

Dec 19, 2011, 8:28:59 AM12/19/11
On 19 December 2011 13:21, Niels <malmesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The other issue is what happened to the chop saw that was brought into
> the space earlier - the blade was blunted extremely rapidly. I wonder
> how many £40 blades we will go through in a year.

Given the claims made by the manufacturer, I'm quite interested in the
activities you could conduct which would blunt the blade...

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Hutt

Dec 19, 2011, 8:34:44 AM12/19/11
On 19 December 2011 13:02, Niels <malmesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Rage has a substantial capability in this area.

Really? I agree with the lathe, but I'm not sure how it would be
possible to launch something with the rage... even if I were trying!

Mark Steward

Dec 19, 2011, 8:35:41 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
People bring a lot of bad DIY habits into the space: I've seen someone impatiently tell a novice to just to lean harder on the tool instead of holding it correctly.  And I can't count the number of times I've seen people shrug their shoulders and try working on that's not clamped, because they're not sure whether it'll even work.  I think you'd learn a lot about someone's aptitude simply by asking "how do you use this tool safely?"

Mark

Adrian Godwin

Dec 19, 2011, 8:36:09 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Tool access system is a great idea for the lathe, the laser cutter,
maybe the makerbot.

It's going to have to be a moderately sized box with network
connectivity. I don't see that being very convenient for a bench saw,
unless we bolt it down. I guess we could spec a small reader box too,
but let's get the initial ones done first.

I agree the saw is simple and obvious, but so are plenty of tools,
including hand tools. Some people use them respectfully, safely and
carefully. Some people don't. I don't see how we can distinguish
between the two without some form of handover, even if it's only 'can
has key ?' / 'here you go; live long & prosper'.

It is frustrating to be unable to use a tool that you feel you're
entitled / capable of using. But that only happens until you get a
key. If it's broken through abuse every time you want to use it (see
makerbot ..) then you have that problem forever.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Dec 19, 2011, 8:41:26 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Russ, I'm surprised at you. Believing a salesman ? :)

I have no doubt that the blade will be dull in a month and useless in
a couple of months. I won't be very surprised if it only lasts a week.
Problem is, if we don't know who used it we'll have no way of finding
out exactly what the activities are. We've been there before!

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Dec 19, 2011, 8:44:50 AM12/19/11
On 19 December 2011 13:41, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no doubt that the blade will be dull in a month and useless in
> a couple of months. I won't be very surprised if it only lasts a week.
> Problem is, if we don't know who used it we'll have no way of finding
> out exactly what the activities are. We've been there before!

Not to mention that we have no idea what activities will result in it
being blunted...

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Dec 19, 2011, 9:33:38 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> However the chop saw is a very straightforward tool: it has a sharp blade which spins very fast and eats fingers. This _is_ obvious.
>
> Training is always a good thing, and I'd be up for learning more from an experienced member: how to do complicated cuts et c.

Not sure that is always the case. Having observed things now for a year (and with sea of bit of a chance from the Archery place) I think it is absolutely called for to give our peers a bit more handholding and help when it comes to a lot of the equipment in the space. And foster a bit of a culture of asking and helping around:

- Help/show people how to clamp things safely.

- Forster an understanding what the different types of saw blades and drill types are for. Why certain things have a fine tooth and others are designed more for hammering.

- What chisels are for; what flatbed screwdrivers are for and how they are best used.

- Help people understand the benefit of having some scrap metal/wood under something they are drilling/sawing/etc on.

- Caution/help with the amount of force applied to (electrical) drills, saws, sanders and what not.

and so on. So perhaps it is not bad to start things off a bit safer; make most electrical things work on a key or oyster card - and have use of these be subject to a bit of training -and- implicitly the promise that you'll also help foster good use/training from thereon. Or alternatively - perhaps consider that we have a bit of a rota of someone helping during certain hours once you have a key. I found that doing that is usually not that time consuming (and good for your own health - it is amazing what flies through the space!) - as there are not that many people working at the same time.

Dw.

Simon Howes

Dec 20, 2011, 3:34:17 AM12/20/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I have this saw at home
And use it regularly

You can cut some things *without* clamping them, like thick metal bar. But you have to put other things like thin or round metal bar in a vice. Its terrifying when you make a misjudgment on this - the first and last time that happened to me scared me out of my wits, chewed up a piece of hexstock and took a few teeth of the blade, lucky it didnt engage launch capability.

Any sort of lock is needed. Even if just to protect other people

Niels

Dec 20, 2011, 5:12:05 AM12/20/11
to London Hackspace
I say we put the key stop on as a temporary measure until the oyster
card system is setup. Either that or I implement my other plan for
tool protection... {evil laugh}