Next 3D Printer Training Induction

joshua....@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 9:20:53 AM2/12/17
to London Hackspace
Hi, I'm a new member. When is the next 3D printing induction date?

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Feb 19, 2017, 5:47:24 AM2/19/17
to London Hackspace, Ashton Kirby
Hi Joshua,

I am also interested in doing some training. Give me a shout if you hear of anything in the pipeline and I'll gladly do the same?

Alexander Baxevanis

Feb 20, 2017, 4:27:58 AM2/20/17
to London Hackspace, ashton...@gmail.com
Hi guys,

Training gets announced to the mailing list when maintainers have time to run it. Best ways to find out about it:

1) Watch the mailing list regularly
2) Sign up for the wiki add the training page (https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Lulzbot_Mini_Training) to your watchlist so you're notified by email when new sessions are added. To do this just click the star icon on the top right hand side of the page.

Cheers,
Alex

Angus Brown

Mar 14, 2017, 10:43:25 AM3/14/17
to London Hackspace
Dear Trainers

I am a new member and am interested to know when the next 3D printer training course will take place at Hackspace ?

I am keen to try and print out and test a water desalination idea that I have just modelled in Fusion360?

I appreciate everyone has buy lives but any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Angus

On Sunday, 12 February 2017 14:20:53 UTC, joshua....@gmail.com wrote:
Message has been deleted

Angus Brown

Mar 30, 2017, 9:51:45 AM3/30/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That would be excellent

Angus

Angus Brown-
Personal email address- angus....@gmail.com

On 30 March 2017 at 14:42, Cyrus Razavi <c.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be keen to get some training too, have a couple of projects in mind.

I've not seen the 3d printers in operation at Hackspace any time I've been around, so would be good to get some new members like Angus and me trained up so we can make use of them, and eventually perhaps help take the load off current trainers?

Cyrus

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Mar 30, 2017, 10:01:09 AM3/30/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Agreed Cyrus,

As I mentioned before I am also keen so   We atleast have a class of 3 that I know off and there is a possibility one of my colleagues may want to join.

Is there somewhere we could create a list and then once trainer availability is announced we could book in?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 at 14:44, Cyrus Razavi <c.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be keen to get some training too, have a couple of projects in mind.

I've not seen the 3d printers in operation at Hackspace any time I've been around, so would be good to get some new members like Angus and me trained up so we can make use of them, and eventually perhaps help take the load off current trainers?

Cyrus

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 2:43:25 PM UTC, Angus Brown wrote:

Best Regards, Antonio R. Ferreira Cell: + 44 (79) 610 79 151

Jassim Redha

Mar 30, 2017, 10:52:19 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
Hi, I am really interested in this as well.

Andy Focallocal

Mar 30, 2017, 2:36:10 PM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
also keen

Charline Lalanne

Mar 31, 2017, 4:41:37 AM3/31/17
to London Hackspace
Also interested !

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Mar 31, 2017, 4:50:58 AM3/31/17
to Ashton Kirby, london-h...@googlegroups.com
You still keen Ashton? Looks like we're getting a list together.

Aden

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Mar 31, 2017, 11:20:38 AM3/31/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Alright Kids. let's not argue. Apologies if I didn't keep track of the email thread that started about a month ago and if it offended anyone.
I appreciate these emails could become annoying but we all signed up for them.

This was the last entry on the wiki page which appears to be slightly dated. hence why my confusion.

Inline image 1

Further to this, I can't add my name to any list that I'm aware of on the wiki as to let a trainer assess whether it is worth proposing a training date.

Inline image 2 So I have resorted to the mailing list as suggested.

Best Regards,

Antonio R. Ferreira
Mobile: +44(0) 79 610 79 151

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Cyrus Razavi <c.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Haha or who are not satisfied with the instructions more like...

Patrick Dent

Mar 31, 2017, 7:46:43 PM3/31/17
to London Hackspace
I also register my interest. I used the old machine precisely once and would really like to try it again.

ChrisN

Apr 1, 2017, 3:45:32 AM4/1/17
to London Hackspace
I register my interest.

I added my name to the list on the wiki, which someone then deleted.  Why not: let the list exist, include email addresses, have the trainers send an email alert to the list when the next training session is scheduled.  Surely that's better than the current system?

Advantages:
  • Simplicity.
  • A queue in the event of training being oversubscribed.
  • The trainers know there's enough interest to make it worth running a course.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 1, 2017, 8:27:08 AM4/1/17
to london-hack-space
Because it becomes an effort for the maintainers. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it seems.

 What happens is that the maintainer has to send the emails, wait for replies, decide how long to wait for people who don't immediately respond, send more emails to fill the gaps, repeat until either the places are filled or the numbers responding get, too small, advertise the session in the hope of getting more, etc.. etc.

You can see how this quickly becomes a chore.

On the other hand, if someone were to volunteer to manage the list, I guess it might be possible.

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Apr 1, 2017, 8:32:57 AM4/1/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think Chris has a point.

From that mailing list the trainer can then do a simple google calendar meeting invitation and we take it from there. Can even specify a min class size condition to the event being valid.

There are so many available tools now and I'd welcome any app developers to create a decent app for it. Even if just a embedded web based calendar booking system based on Google calendar.

Im aware I do sound like a google rep now, but Their apps do help me manage many aspects of my personal and professional life.

Aurelio Alimonti

Apr 4, 2017, 12:40:16 PM4/4/17
to London Hackspace
Hello everyone

I am new here, I have been in the hack space, and I would like to learn how to use the 3D printer.
Some of you know when there is the next training course? If I want participate at the next meeting what I have to do?
I need to register on hackey space or not?
on the calendar for the event of the 3D printer there is write that this course don't need to be member of hackey space
thank you so much for your time
see you soon

Patrick Dent

Apr 4, 2017, 12:42:50 PM4/4/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You DO need to be a member of the Hackspace and unfortunately at the present moment we do not know when the next training session will be. We have been told not to ask when it will be but unfortunately we have not had one for a very long time.

Message has been deleted

Alex Palaistras

Apr 17, 2017, 4:05:49 PM4/17/17
to London Hackspace
Hi, not sure if this is the canonical place for registering interest (appears to be the latest
thread about 3D printer training, in any case), but I'd also like to register interest.

Wouldn't the easiest way to track this be via Google Calendar? I'm assuming most of
the people registering interest can make any date, given enough notice and assuming
a reasonable time-slot, so wouldn't a "placeholder" event work to start with?

- Alex

Pingless

Apr 18, 2017, 5:08:11 AM4/18/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Alex,

I'm afraid this is not the place for registering interest. If you have a quick read of the Mailing List Clichés ("I am interested in the Laser Cutter"), pretty much all of it applies to the 3D printers too.
Training gets announced on-list when a trainer has the capacity to run it, then it's a first-come, first-served system because anything else ends up with people who can't make it to the inductions.

Please be patient.

Pingless
Message has been deleted

Mr Ed

Apr 18, 2017, 8:55:40 AM4/18/17
to London Hackspace
Though by the looks of it it's been quite a while since the last training. Long enough that it looks like more maintainers are needed especially as one of the listed ones isn't a member any more.

-Ed

Antonio rodrigues Ferreira

Apr 18, 2017, 8:57:20 AM4/18/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
To be honest I love the concept of hackspace, but at the rate if the training I dont get to use what I signed up for. I fully get that it is on a voluntary basis , but it seems like a tough system to crack.

I like the idea of a google calender. That way attendees can confirm attendance and the trainer can determine whether its worth their time.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 at 13:50, Cyrus Razavi <c.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I got fed up of waiting and bought and assembled my own one of these:

Can knock off a bit of money with 'best offer'

Print quality ok although I'm sure can be improved once I know what I'm doing...

mob 07960 810771

Paul Lessing

Apr 18, 2017, 11:02:29 AM4/18/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Antonio,
I'm sorry to hear that you're finding the existing system difficult. I'd like to elaborate a little.
The reason that the existing system does not allow for a waiting list is because there is a while between people wanting training and training actually happening. This means that by the time training gets announced, a chunk of people on the waiting list no longer want or need training. Anything other than first-come-first-served results in the trainer signing up the first five people, then waiting a week to determine which of these people no longer respond to emails or are not interested, signing up the next set of people, etc. This is an amount of effort that I would not want a trainer to have to go through, seeing as they are already sacrificing their free time to train people.
In summary: The existing system is the easiest on the trainers, and less effort the trainers have to go through means they are more likely to be willing to do the training.

The fact that there currently appears to be a low availability of trainers for tools is unrelated to the reluctance of opening a waiting list.

Hope that's cleared things up,
Pingless

Alex Palaistras

Apr 23, 2017, 6:03:49 PM4/23/17
to London Hackspace
Hi,

I assumed the current setup was a bit of a Catch-22, in that a trainer won't announce a date
until there's enough interest, but there can't be interest unless there's a set date announced,
unless of course there's always a degree of sustained interest. It makes more sense, given
the additional context.

I'll just keep an eye out for any announcements.

- Alex

Hari Karam Singh

Apr 24, 2017, 5:53:48 AM4/24/17
to London Hackspace
What if we scheduled an extended afternoon training on one weekend day and got ~20 people on it paying a £10 a piece?  Might that galvanise one of the trainees to step forward?

HK

Adrian Godwin

Apr 24, 2017, 6:18:03 AM4/24/17
to london-hack-space
For £200 you could buy 2 printers and have the group teach themselves :)

angus....@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 6:25:45 AM4/24/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Good idea- Happy to pay £10-15 if this can expedite matters and make it worthwhile for a trainer?

Angus

tgreer

Apr 24, 2017, 6:40:06 AM4/24/17
to London Hackspace
It's not about making it worthwhile, it's about trainer availability.

Billy

Apr 24, 2017, 7:57:21 AM4/24/17
to London Hackspace

This is why i've been saying that we need more maintainers/trainers.

felixproc...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 8:32:29 AM4/24/17
to London Hackspace
hi im a new member too.
I used to work and would like to register interest in the next training so I can get cracking with a few projects I have lined up.
I used to work in a lasercutters so once trained on this one I would be able to give training  ( in theory)

tgreer

Apr 24, 2017, 9:27:18 AM4/24/17
to London Hackspace
The last 2 maintainers that volunteered flaked out. If anyone has good experience with 3d printers and wants the job, Timour would be happy to show you the ropes.

Hari Karam Singh

Apr 24, 2017, 11:13:37 AM4/24/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> For £200 you could buy 2 printers and have the group teach themselves :)

Ha! Yeah the situation does seem a little absurb imo...  Is it really *that* complicated to figure out how to use these printers in a safe way without a personal trainer?

HK

The future of musical artistry...

http://air-craft.co · 0779 055 6418 · London SE1

Adrian Godwin

Apr 24, 2017, 11:20:20 AM4/24/17
to london-hack-space
No, they're not hard to use, though experience is useful. The object of the hackspace induction is to protect our printers from unintentional abuse.

Mr Ed

Apr 25, 2017, 4:14:45 AM4/25/17
to London Hackspace
Not sure if I'm one of the ones that "flaked out" according to you, but I'm not a maintainer any more and I can assure you, I didn't "flake out".

-Ed

tgreer

Apr 25, 2017, 4:35:50 AM4/25/17
to London Hackspace
Nope wasn't referring to you so back in your corner.

Mr Ed

Apr 25, 2017, 5:53:49 PM4/25/17
to London Hackspace
Tell you what, I'll go back in my corner when you stop making vague insinuations on the mailing list. For bonus points, you could actually be a member of the space before making a fuss on the list.

Pingless

Apr 26, 2017, 9:48:55 AM4/26/17
to London Hackspace
On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 22:53:49 UTC+1, Mr Ed wrote:
Tell you what, I'll go back in my corner when you stop making vague insinuations on the mailing list. For bonus points, you could actually be a member of the space before making a fuss on the list.

Ed,
Can you please stop the shit-stirring? tgreer made a comment that to anyone outside the space was completely innocuous. Just because you thought he might be talking about you and decided to take offense doesn't mean he was being deliberately hostile in any way.

You're being childish and it's making both the space and yourself look bad.

tgreer

Apr 26, 2017, 10:55:15 AM4/26/17
to London Hackspace
To be fair, i completely forgot you helped out get our ao-101 back online...

Jeremy Bond

Apr 26, 2017, 6:19:46 PM4/26/17
to London Hackspace
Just to add to this group grumble, I've been a member for over a year and still haven't been able to get onto an induction. I'm usually able to make it but don't get in there quick enough to get a spot.

I understand that maintainer/instructors have their own time, but that doesn't stop it being frustrating when you can't use something. Especially when members get offended about people asking when they can get trained. I'm happy to carry on being patient, but training 5 members every other month is never going to meet demand. Is it possible to redress this imbalance?

Jack London

Apr 26, 2017, 6:59:45 PM4/26/17
to London Hackspace
Ok so.... whens the next induction?

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 2:24:53 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
When a trainer is available.

Billy

Apr 27, 2017, 6:39:36 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace

So, if members are requesting training, and, training hasn't been put on due to trainers not being available, would this not mean that we need more trainers/maintainers?

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:24:53 AM UTC+1, tgreer wrote:
When a trainer is available.

David Dorward

Apr 27, 2017, 6:50:42 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
On 27 Apr 2017, at 11:39, Billy wrote:

> So, if members are requesting training, and, training hasn't been put on
> due to trainers not being available, would this not mean that we need more
> trainers/maintainers?

You appear to have become stuck in a loop.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/dwFslS6G6VI/_N4_Oxx0AgAJ

Billy

Apr 27, 2017, 7:31:59 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace

My apologies, i missed that comment.

I didn't realise that they'd been looking for more maintainers.

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 10:48:52 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
For those interested in training, who's available this Saturday? I could come in and do a few sessions then if you wanted.

Luca Torrente

Apr 27, 2017, 11:08:44 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I am, count me in please

Adrian Godwin

Apr 27, 2017, 11:13:07 AM4/27/17
to london-hack-space
I need re-training as I was trained pre-lulzbot. Is that a suitable session ?

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 11:13:40 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
OK,

Will 11am work?

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 11:14:51 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
If you want to pop in on Saturday Adrian I can bring you upto scratch. I assume you were trained on our original lulzbot, so just need a 'conversion' course.

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 16:13:07 UTC+1, Adrian Godwin wrote:
I need re-training as I was trained pre-lulzbot. Is that a suitable session ?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Luca Torrente <lucator...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am, count me in please

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 11:50:42 AM UTC+1, David Dorward wrote:
On 27 Apr 2017, at 11:39, Billy wrote:

> So, if members are requesting training, and, training hasn't been put on
> due to trainers not being available, would this not mean that we need more
> trainers/maintainers?

You appear to have become stuck in a loop.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/dwFslS6G6VI/_N4_Oxx0AgAJ

Luca Torrente

Apr 27, 2017, 11:17:27 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
11am would work for me too, I was trained on the ultimaker 2, is that OK?

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 11:18:51 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
Not sure, that was never really anything to do with the 3d printer group.

Tomáš Pokorný

Apr 27, 2017, 11:19:59 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
I would be also interested and I can make Saturday at 11am.

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 11:22:16 AM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
Then you'll both want to read: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/ccmdu9BfBEk :D

See you Saturday.

Luca Torrente

Apr 27, 2017, 11:26:08 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

Adrian Godwin

Apr 27, 2017, 11:27:35 AM4/27/17
to london-hack-space
I was, but I've forgotten it all. So a refresher would be useful.
Happy to pay again if I'm doing the proper course.

Also happy to let the place go to another member if there's a big demand, as I don't need it urgently.

Patrick Dent

Apr 27, 2017, 11:28:45 AM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would really like to get on this training if my work schedule allows because I was trained on the old machine but need the authorising for the new one.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 27, 2017, 11:32:43 AM4/27/17
to london-hack-space
Does the 3d printer meeting  still happen ?

Angus Brown

Apr 27, 2017, 1:44:41 PM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tgreer

Any time Saturday till session ending at 5pm 4 would grand!

How long would a session be??

Thanks for your help I hope that I can reciprocate in some way in the future

Angus

Sent from my iPhone

tgreer

Apr 27, 2017, 1:51:02 PM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
Sesson is normally upto 1h.

Patrick Dent

Apr 27, 2017, 2:01:15 PM4/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I've got work at 7pm so finishing any time up to about 6:15 is fine.

David Martin

Apr 27, 2017, 4:30:45 PM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
Yes, include me in please.
I can make 11am, or any other time.
Thanks

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 15:48:52 UTC+1, tgreer wrote:
Message has been deleted

David Martin

Apr 27, 2017, 5:01:09 PM4/27/17
to London Hackspace
I have added myself to the 12AM list.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 28, 2017, 8:43:45 PM4/28/17
to london-hack-space
Taken myself off the list again as I can't get there in time. That's a free 11:00am slot.