Rube Goldberg Machine - Help needed

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 4, 2017, 5:44:01 PM3/4/17
to London Hackspace
We are looking for someone with basic knowledge in physics and in engineering to help us for few hours in figuring out few not too challenging moves / actions within a Rube Goldberg Machine. It's all DIY - but we have a bit of pressure and not too much experience to make some things work in the short time that left. It's a short 30 sec video for the University of Northampton. We are on it over few weeks now, but suddenly stuck and really struggle. We know that there are few nice people in hackspace, who actually often helped me out when I was there - but our machine as it needs space is set up in a studio in Seven Sisters. So you would need to come around and see what's going on. We are happy to pay you a symbolic fee £50 for few hours of sharing your practical thoughts and giving your advice. If you could help us anytime tomorrow or on Monday would be amazing. Please get in touch here or call me 07544 891529 Best, CATHARINA.

Adrian Godwin

Mar 4, 2017, 5:53:22 PM3/4/17
to london-hack-space
Sounds like fun, and I need to be near Seven Sisters by tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully you'll get a few responders, in which case we can take the £50 to the pub and get the creative thoughts really moving.

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:44 PM, <cathpro...@gmx.de> wrote:
[...]

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 4, 2017, 6:03:18 PM3/4/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Adrian, would you like to come around? Anyone else is welcome to join - and there are few nice guys outside the space who brew their own stuff :) Best Cath

Adrian Godwin

Mar 4, 2017, 6:12:16 PM3/4/17
to london-hack-space
I can probably get there mid-morning. Need to leave at 3 or so.
It would definitely be better with a few likeminded bodgers, though. Phil, Liam, anyone ?

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 4, 2017, 6:17:49 PM3/4/17
to London Hackspace
Amazing - yeah Liam, how about you? We will be at the space from 9 am - all day - it's 39a Markfield Road,
N15 4QA.

Adrian Godwin

Mar 4, 2017, 6:40:44 PM3/4/17
to london-hack-space
By the way, they're called Heath Robinson machines over here.  Or Tim Hunkin if you want a living artist. Rube Goldberg is an alien.

This one was filmed in a friend's workshop (though nothing to do with me, I'm afraid). The tank could be found on google earth, though it's gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSMecNWdlY

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 4, 2017, 7:02:48 PM3/4/17
to London Hackspace
Very advanced... wow - impressive. .. poor poodle! so we are really not even near any of this levels - it's just two of us - no background in pyro nor physics - but loving any type of art that makes fun and we have 30 sec and a massive inflatable ball ... and need help :)

Nick Reynolds

Mar 4, 2017, 7:04:12 PM3/4/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Also there's this classic...

Nick Reynolds - 950SM|620SC
In the land beyond cleaning where the Dust Donkeys dwell

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 5, 2017, 6:17:43 AM3/5/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Adrian, how are you? Do you know when about approx. you'd like to pop by as we just want to split tasks here and check out wickes on some point today - its all just about scheduling. Thanxxxx

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 6, 2017, 5:05:51 AM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
A massive THANK YOU to Adrian, who came around and helped us - and gave us motivation and hope !!!

David Martin

Mar 6, 2017, 6:09:00 AM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
Hi
Wish I'd seen this in time. I've always liked this sort of thing. Made a couple of automata in the past.
Can we see the video when it's done?
Hope it goes well

Christopher Paton

Mar 6, 2017, 1:42:29 PM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
Hey, still need any help, I live on markfield road?

Chris

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 6, 2017, 2:15:51 PM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
No way!? ha ha.... yeah come around anytime best from Wednesday - we are always happy to hear and share thoughts :)
Just tmr is more difficult. Best text me as it's a building site Cat 07544 891529 -  sooo cooool :)

Christopher Paton

Mar 6, 2017, 2:21:25 PM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
Wicked, I'll pop over Wednesday at about 5/6ish if that's ok?

Chris

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 6, 2017, 4:37:45 PM3/6/17
to London Hackspace
Fab! come around :)

David Martin

Mar 8, 2017, 10:52:35 AM3/8/17
to London Hackspace
Hi

I could pop in about 6 this evening too. I would be interested to see what you are doing.
I've done some of this sort of thing in the past, so might be able to help.

David

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 8, 2017, 11:09:31 AM3/8/17
to London Hackspace
Hi David, yeah if you like and not too far away pls come over for an hour or so :)
Cat 07544 891529! ThanXXXX

David Martin

Mar 8, 2017, 11:37:38 AM3/8/17
to London Hackspace
OK see you later. I will call if I can't find you.

David

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 9, 2017, 7:39:26 AM3/9/17
to London Hackspace
Hi David, thank you for coming over last night.
FYI - we found a solution for the rocket car, the wax tissue ink works well and the toilet paper holder for the ball too :)
Thank you for all the support - we will keep you updated!

David Martin

Mar 9, 2017, 12:26:22 PM3/9/17
to London Hackspace
Glad it's going well. Was good to meet you both.
Looking forward to seeing the video.

David

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 16, 2017, 6:27:54 AM3/16/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Adrian, we did it! We did film the machine yesterday and it all worked :) Thank you so much. When about do you have time for a pint? Next week Tue/Wed? Best Cat and Eva

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 16, 2017, 6:28:25 AM3/16/17
to London Hackspace
Hi David, we did it! We did film the machine yesterday and it all worked :) Thank you so much. When about do you have time for a pint? Next week Tue/Wed? Best Cat and Eva

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 16, 2017, 6:28:52 AM3/16/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Chris, we did it! We did film the machine yesterday and it all worked :) Thank you so much. When about do you have time for a pint? Next week Tue/Wed? Best Cat and Eva

Adrian Godwin

Mar 17, 2017, 3:31:11 PM3/17/17
to london-hack-space
Great !
Yes, I'd love to visit for a pint. I can probably make tuesday or wednesday as long as it's fairly late.

David Martin

Mar 19, 2017, 7:30:38 PM3/19/17
to London Hackspace
Hi
Glad it all worked. Well done.
Sorry I wont be around much this week.i'm in Somerset atm.
Hope to see you around HS sometime soon.
David

cathpro...@gmx.de

Mar 29, 2017, 3:02:04 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Adrian,

hope your are good? Sorry, was away for 4 days and now doing a job in Kent. Coming back home mostly about 10 pm :( But will try to catch up soon!

Adrian Godwin

Mar 29, 2017, 5:21:44 AM3/29/17
to london-hack-space
Hi cath,

Yes, I know the feeling .. full days + commuting leaves me unable to do anything else. Will let you know if I'm in the area.

Romo

Apr 12, 2018, 7:16:58 AM4/12/18
to London Hackspace
Hi to everyone on this chain!

Was there ever a video of the final RGM you guys made? Would love to see it. We are working on a (paid) version of this and would love to get some people on board who have worked on this kind of thing before.

Pop me your email if you're interested - and again, would love to see a video of what was created on the last one!

Thanks,
Ro