Making plans for Space Organising Day this Saturday, 16 July

Martin Dittus

Jul 10, 2011, 4:43:22 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

we're inviting everyone to join us this coming Saturday (16 July) for the Space Organising Day. This means working on some of our ongoing infrastructure projects, and preparing for the upcoming Open Day at the end of the month.

If you're new to the Hackspace then this is an excellent opportunity to get familiar with our infrastructure, and to meet your fellow hackers and jointly work on the best project we've conceived of so far... the Hackspace itself.

We're looking for three things:
1. Come and join us on the day, we can use lots of volunteers! Even if you only come for an hour your help will have made a difference. We'll start around 11am, but any time is good. Just show up and ask around how you can help.
2. Spread the word: invite your fellow hackers to come along :)
3. Please post suggestions for infrastructure changes we can make on the day.

So far we've received offers for the following:
- Phil, Russ and others are currently preparing for putting down a new floor in the kitchen. You can contribute by e.g. helping to move furniture out of the way.
- Robert, Artag and others are planning to put down carpet in the quiet room. Material is already available.

There's a list of smaller suggested tasks for volunteers [3], e.g.:
- improving the storage layout
- assessing the state of consumables and tools
- general cleaning
- improving the labelling of the space, e.g. storage and waste disposal

As said before, please make sure that all your projects-in-progress are either properly labelled, or stored in your member box. Anything that isn't may become someone else's project, end up in the three-week box, or even in the skip. Also note that items that have been marked for disposal in a recent cleanup session will be thrown out that day.

m.

[1] http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Space_Organising_Day
[2] http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Infrastructure
[3] http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Space_Organising_Day#Tasks

Martin Dittus

Jul 15, 2011, 4:31:02 AM7/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Reminder: this is tomorrow.

m.

Martin Dittus

Jul 15, 2011, 6:32:51 AM7/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Reminder: this is tomorrow.

m.

Senake

Jul 15, 2011, 6:53:48 AM7/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm not sure if creating more efficient storage is on the cards with the plan to move units that I have seen on the discussion boards, but I just wanted to throw in a suggestion to create more storage capacity or free up more workshop space.

I used to use the heavyweight Dexion racking as grown up Meccano when previously prototyping frames for pick and place machinery, so using the same, I was wondering if it might be worth:

(1) Having floor to ceiling 'pigeonholes' storage shelves.
(2) A Dexion constructed ladder running on pulleys top and bottom on a Dexion track - similar to those found in old libraries. The ladder could also incorporate a small platform to allow more bulky items to be temporarily placed and then reached from after getting off the ladder.

What do you think?

I hope to call in tomorrow afternoon, so could maybe help for a while.

Senake

Billy

Jul 15, 2011, 8:56:23 AM7/15/11
to London Hackspace

I'll check the full instructions on the floor primer, but i think that
it needs at least 12 hours to dry, before we put the latex flooring
compound down.

We'll have to strip the kitchen and move all of the worktops/units
tonight. If there are enough warm bodies to help with the initial
moving-things-stage, it would be good. We'll probably have to store
the stuff in either the main room or the workshop, so if you have
stuff in there, please tidy it, or put it somewhere it won't get
mashed by accident.

Do we have any brushes/rollers for the primer, as well as the latex? I
can pick up on the way to the space, just need to know if it's
necessary.,,

On Jul 15, 11:53 am, Senake <sena...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not sure if creating more efficient storage is on the cards with the
> plan to move units that I have seen on the discussion boards, but I just
> wanted to throw in a suggestion to create more storage capacity or free up
> more workshop space.
>
> I used to use the heavyweight Dexion racking as grown up Meccano when
> previously prototyping frames for pick and place machinery, so using the
> same, I was wondering if it might be worth:
>
> (1) Having floor to ceiling 'pigeonholes' storage shelves.
> (2) A Dexion constructed ladder running on pulleys top and bottom on a
> Dexion track - similar to those found in old libraries. The ladder could
> also incorporate a small platform to allow more bulky items to be
> temporarily placed and then reached from after getting off the ladder.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I hope to call in tomorrow afternoon, so could maybe help for a while.
>
> Senake

Russ Garrett

Jul 15, 2011, 9:05:26 AM7/15/11
On 15 July 2011 13:56, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:

> I'll check the full instructions on the floor primer, but i think that
> it needs at least 12 hours to dry, before we put the latex flooring
> compound down.

The instructions are here:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/pdf/154148-Wickes-High-Performance-Floor-Primer-TDS.pdf

Curing time is 60 minutes.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Matte

Jul 15, 2011, 9:20:18 AM7/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll be around for a while this evening.

www.hda1.co.uk

Billy

Jul 15, 2011, 9:22:35 AM7/15/11
to London Hackspace
Thanks Russ.

It's different to the kind of stuff i used, last time i did this.

If it's only 1 hour or so, that's less to worry about.

One or two coats, you reckon?

On Jul 15, 2:05 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 15 July 2011 13:56, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
>

> > I'll check the full instructions on the floor primer, but i think that
> > it needs at least 12 hours to dry, before we put the latex flooring
> > compound down.
>
> The instructions are here:
>
> http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/pdf/1541...
>
> Curing time is 60 minutes.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Jul 15, 2011, 9:25:11 AM7/15/11
On 15 July 2011 14:22, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
> Thanks Russ.
>
> It's different to the kind of stuff i used, last time i did this.
>
> If it's only 1 hour or so, that's less to worry about.
>
> One or two coats, you reckon?

One coat should be fine. If we need to do two layers of levelling
compound (which I suspect we may do), we'll need enough to prime the
first layer as well.

Did the mixing bucket turn up?

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Storey

Jul 15, 2011, 9:29:57 AM7/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll be around from 7/8 ish...

Martin Dittus

Jul 16, 2011, 1:21:27 PM7/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Lots of people came. Somewhere between 10 and 20, maybe more (I didn't actually count.)

The kitchen floor now has a first layer of resin/cement/compound/stuff, and any lumps haven been scraped off; Phil will paint it when it's dry (around midnight?), and says it should all be ready by tomorrow afternoon. We'll then need help putting all the kitchen furniture back in, which in the meantime is stored in the main room.

Other updates:
- there's now carpet in the Quiet Room, this is almost done and we're slowly putting the desks etc back in
- a new sofa has replaced the filthy old blue one
- we threw out a few things that were labelled for disposal for today
- we updated the components wiki page with consumables that need restocking, and labeled more of those plastic boxes
- lots of hoovering, cleaning, wiping, ...

Random lesson learned: Don't hoover metal shavings (we were wondering why the hoover was so weak until we investigated and found big chunks stuck in it.)