Gas fired Crucible Furnace

goenzoy

Apr 13, 2018, 4:01:13 AM4/13/18
to London Hackspace
Hello,

Not sure how many people are reading this mailing list at the moment when Hackspace is without home.
A couple of years back I went to "Model Engineering" show at Alexandra Palace and bought  a book called Building a Gas-Fired Crucible-Furnace
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has done the same with intention to build such a furnace
At this point I am just interested on a BOM ( Bill of Material ) and a list where to source the material for such a build in the UK

Rgds Gottfried

Billy

Apr 13, 2018, 2:48:31 PM4/13/18
to London Hackspace

Get in touch with Ian Lowe, https://www.urbancraftsfoundation.co.uk/ and https://www.urbancraftsfoundation.co.uk/contact

He's been the main contact for the blacksmiths that have been coming to EMF.

He built a simple version of one of these, using an external blowtorch.

We've had a great time discussing the pro's and cons of the various approaches towards metal-casting. :D

Billy

Apr 13, 2018, 2:57:29 PM4/13/18
to London Hackspace

I also left a copy on an excellent book on designing & making crucibles in the hackspace reference library. I put it with the Gingery books, including the one on making solid-fuel furnaces. :D

I've got another copy at home, if you're interested.

DomK

Apr 15, 2018, 5:23:41 AM4/15/18
to London Hackspace
Depending what you're smelting will dictate the fuel and delivery system. If youre looking at just Ali a venturi propane burner is what you need. for castiron you're better off with a liquid fuel forced air system. Then you need refractory lining to hold in the heat but also a initial reflectory to keep the outside cool.
For the Bruner you can use 1" black iron pipe with a 2"/1" reducer a 2" t, a 2" length and a 2"end cap. With a hole drilled and tapped in the middle. For the gas delivery our want a a piece of copper tube with a 2mm mig tip soldered on the end sent to a gas regulator with a check valve at the regulator end. Here are some pictures of the gas furnaces at my college that the farriers use.
20180412_095641.jpg

Ian Lowe

Apr 16, 2018, 6:14:09 AM4/16/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Gottfried,
                    I've built several furnaces for foundry work, and cast a few types of metal.  We're holding an open day at the forge this Sunday,  starting at 11am, you're welcome to drop by and bend my ear about it.  I'm based at Lambourne End Centre, Romford, RM4 1NB.  If you want to stop by another time then email me.  The site isn't usually open to the public.
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'd also like to offer the metal bashers a place to hang out while the space finds a new home.  If whoever leads that group wants to get in touch feel free to email me and we can chat.

As ever

Ian

Des Quilty

Apr 17, 2018, 5:45:22 AM4/17/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the offer re: metal bashers.

Unfortunately I'm not around this Sunday but perhaps some other MBs are able to attend. I would like to pop over at some point and say hello so will drop you a line. Do you have any other open days planned?

Thx

Des

Ian Lowe

Apr 17, 2018, 8:08:59 PM4/17/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Des,
              If you can't make this weekend and want to arrange a visit it's not a problem, I'd just have to book you in (i.e. let the centre know you were coming) and then sign you into the visitors book at the centre's main reception when you got there. That way you can get onto the site as a badged visitor.to the UCF.
Lambourne End Centre do a lot of work with vulnerable and special needs kids (as do we) so they aren't open to the general public. Anyone walking around without a badge who the staff don't know.will get stopped and checked on sight.   Which is a good thing in my opinion.  Visitors are genuinely welcome, you just have to abide by the Centre's rules when you're on site.

We haven't planned another open day till later in the year when the centre do their other yearly open day (we do two 'have a go' days a year as part of the centre's own open days where all proceeds go to the centre).  We might run one ourselves in between times, you'd have to keep an eye on the U.C.F.'s  facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/TheUrbanCraftsFoundation/  for announcements.  Our last was a couple of months ago I think.

We do have classes in the works and such, but I don't want to sound like I'm trawling for business here, I just genuinely wondered if the metalbashers had anywhere to play that wasn't going to rip their arms and legs off cost wise till the space is rehoused. We're a community interest company so everything after actual costs gets put into the kitty for doing good stuff.

Our email is ucf.o...@gmail.com
My number is 07899780703

Otherwise than that we'll be at this years EMF Festival so you'll definitely catch us there!

As ever

Ian

Pete A

Jun 2, 2018, 7:29:04 AM6/2/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Ian,

I would be really interested in having a place to hang out and bash some metal / talk about metal work stuff :-) I am not sure if the offer till stands?

I used to go to LHS sometimes when I could / had time etc.

I live in Essex so to be honest the new HackerSpace in Wembley  is going to be a bit far out for me to travel that often.

I have done a bit of Sheet Metal and some Welding stuff. I am interested in learning more about metal work. I am particularly interested in learning Machining / Lathe work but...

Any chance I could pop down one day?

Did any of the other metal bashers take you up on your offer? :-)

Pete A

Ian Lowe

Jun 8, 2018, 8:23:17 PM6/8/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Pete,
              no you're the first of the metal bashers to get in touch apart from Billy, who's a mate anyway.
Yes the offer still stands.  If you or any of the metal bashers want to just hang out at the Forge then it'd be a case of passing along your numbers so I can text or email you when I'll be at the shop. I don't have any fixed days, it all depends on what I've got on and how well I feel.  I try to get in over the weekends, but again, that's not all the time.
I don't have any machinists gear at the workshop unfortunately (unless you count a pillar drill) but I've fabrication, foundry and Blacksmithing gear all available.  I'd love a lather and a mill but the power supply to the shop is single phase and only good to 16 amps.

If you want to do some work for yourself (ie for you personally) while I'm there then that's no problem either, you'd just have to cover the costs of whatever materials, fuel etc you used, plus a donation.. How much is entirely up to you, whatever you can afford or want to spend basically,  it'll be for us to use to do good stuff in any case. If you got a few people together you could even hire the shop for a day, me included.  There's all sorts of options but you're always welcome to come visit and shoot the sh-t, that'll stay free :)

regards

IAN

(07899780703)

Pete A

Jun 10, 2018, 7:25:21 AM6/10/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Ian,

  That's awesome :-) I'll text you my number in a bit...

Be great to see what you guys get up to...

Pete A