Chisels

Paddy Duncan

Jan 16, 2012, 4:24:40 PM1/16/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I have donated a set of 12 carving chisels which are hanging on the tool rack…

Please do not sharpen them; I will attack them with my waterstones over the next few days hopefully (and the existing ones, 1 done today).

Paddy

Sam Kelly

Jan 16, 2012, 4:58:08 PM1/16/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You are wonderful. Thank you!

--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger
dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Sci

Jan 16, 2012, 5:44:45 PM1/16/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou, and you're very brave! I hope there's signage stating they're
for wood-carving only, and a proper mallet assigned to them. Because
someone will use them on other materials, while smacking them with a
claw hammer.
Hopefully I'm just being over-cautious (my grandfathers rosewood-handled
chisels got destroyed that way). Still maybe it's another subject
suitable for a primer in?

~ Sci

On 16/01/2012 21:24, Paddy Duncan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have donated a set of 12 carving chisels which are hanging on the tool

> rack�

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 17, 2012, 3:46:18 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
WV!

--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

Tim Storey

Jan 17, 2012, 5:19:27 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Paddy, when are you planning on sharpening them, I never did
get the hang of sharpening carving chisels...
i.e would you show me how sometime ?

\t

On 17/01/2012 08:46, cepm...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> WV!
>
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:44:45 -0000, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
>
>> Thankyou, and you're very brave! I hope there's signage stating they're
>> for wood-carving only, and a proper mallet assigned to them. Because
>> someone will use them on other materials, while smacking them with a
>> claw hammer.
>> Hopefully I'm just being over-cautious (my grandfathers rosewood-handled
>> chisels got destroyed that way). Still maybe it's another subject
>> suitable for a primer in?
>>
>> ~ Sci
>>
>> On 16/01/2012 21:24, Paddy Duncan wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have donated a set of 12 carving chisels which are hanging on the tool

>>> rack�

Paddy Duncan

Jan 17, 2012, 8:37:54 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
When I remember to bring to the appropriate things in... :(
Btw I can leave a set of diamond sharpening things too so if Russ has not
yet bought some he need not. I'm not all that brave either, none of these
things were particularly expensive; but then no proper sharpening work has
been invested yet....
Thanks for volunteering to help Tim :)
Paddy

Nice one Paddy, when are you planning on sharpening them, I never did
get the hang of sharpening carving chisels...
i.e would you show me how sometime ?

\t

On 17/01/2012 08:46, cepm...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> WV!
>
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:44:45 -0000, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
>
>> Thankyou, and you're very brave! I hope there's signage stating they're
>> for wood-carving only, and a proper mallet assigned to them. Because
>> someone will use them on other materials, while smacking them with a
>> claw hammer.
>> Hopefully I'm just being over-cautious (my grandfathers rosewood-handled
>> chisels got destroyed that way). Still maybe it's another subject
>> suitable for a primer in?
>>
>> ~ Sci
>>
>> On 16/01/2012 21:24, Paddy Duncan wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have donated a set of 12 carving chisels which are hanging on the tool

>>> rack.

Russ Garrett

Jan 17, 2012, 8:42:04 AM1/17/12
On 17 January 2012 13:37, Paddy Duncan <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:
> When I remember to bring to the appropriate things in... :(
> Btw I can leave a set of diamond sharpening things too so if Russ has not
> yet bought some he need not.

I have already got some, but they're still at home and I keep
forgetting to bring them in.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Simon Howes

Jan 17, 2012, 8:49:24 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Tangental enquiry: does anyone have any experience sharpening ceramic knives? What do you use to do so, is it even possible?

My friend picked up a slightly nicked and blunted (but otherwise rather expensive ceramic chefs knife) I'd love if there was some way to salvage this pricey blade and there would be a great deal of satisfaction in it.

Initiate flaming sequence now! :)

Paddy Duncan

Jan 17, 2012, 8:55:08 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll be interested to see if they are any different. Mine are pretty
rough, more suited to removing loads of metal but not real sharpening.

Jan 17, 2012, 9:06:11 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Only diamond will do, and finer than mine; if the grain size of the stone is too big it breaks chips off the edge rather than cutting.

Ideally a powered diamond wheel of 1000grit+ then finer paste by hand..?

Btw I’ve always wanted one, I can’t stand brown-edged lettuce.

Jan 17, 2012, 9:15:11 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
generally speaking to get a really fine edge I used to use a medium grit
for the initial sharpening and then a fine for the extra zing sharpness
(when working with hardwood's) that allowed for really nice injuries,
the stones were diamond and very expensive at the time and I cannot
offhand recall what grit size specified medium and fine.
If I was feeling extra spiffy I then used a Japanese whetstone for final
polish of the edge, but that's overkill and unnecessary IMHO. My old
boss used to occasionally use a leather strop impregnated with jewellers
rouge, show off.

anyway happy to volunteer for a bit of sharpening duty... ;)

\t

Sam Cook

Jan 17, 2012, 9:30:57 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+ 1 on learning how to sharpen the chisels as well as learning to use (if you're feeling teachy)

Tim Storey

Jan 17, 2012, 9:34:09 AM1/17/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
sure thing, I'll be in Wednesday for lathe 101, perhaps afterwards if
time permits..

\t

On 17/01/2012 14:30, Sam Cook wrote:
> + 1 on learning how to sharpen the chisels as well as learning to use
> (if you're feeling teachy)

> On 17 January 2012 14:15, Tim Storey <tim.s...@gmail.com

Sam Cook

Jan 17, 2012, 9:40:52 AM1/17/12