N18 Hackspace > (Tottenham Hale, Edmonton, Ikea, Lee Valley Park - What more do you need) _

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 27, 2013, 7:20:16 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

We are about to set up a Hackspace (Tinker, Maker, whatewa...) in N18.

We have a lot of space to fill and not enough members and equipment yet.

What we can offer:

- Space: separate office rooms, kitchen, separate boys and girls WC
- Meeting rooms etc
- Secure parking space with gate
- Virtual Reality interest group-> Oculus Rift (ordered, but still waiting for delivery)
- Augmented Reality interest group
- Interest in games and apps development: (Game Jams etc) -> Unity, Objective-C, Java (Android)
- The warm feeling that you help a charity as they facilitate the place
- Mentoring training sessions to help young people manage their moods so that they can reach their full potential

What we need:

- Members that rock - the more the better
- Electronic RFID Door entrance for front door, back door and parking gate.
- 3D Printer (anyone?)
- Computer equipment (server for electronic entrance etc.)
- Table Football
- Sphero Robotic Ball (2 ideally)
- Lego Mindstorm and other cool robotics stuff
- Club-Mate (obviously!)

Let me know if you are interested to join us (Brixton anyone?)

Cheers,

Richard

rik...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2013, 8:01:01 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomahawk PPC,

I decided to donate my hp dl380 g3 server x 3 to hackspace london, although had no luck on re-homing these server. I decided to post them on ebay. If i dont get any interest on ebay, if it ok, you can have them. I will keep you posted on their status.

many thanks

rikki

Aden

Jun 27, 2013, 8:08:30 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How have you got this space and who is funding it, etc?

tgreer

Jun 27, 2013, 8:32:29 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm interested, as I'm in N18... got a space already? Moar info kthx

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 27, 2013, 9:33:21 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
@Aden: My friend who is running a charity got that building and the backyard with loads of space.

@Tgreer: Yes we have the place and you are welcome to check it out.
Address:
21 Riverside House
Towpath Road
Edmonton
N18 3QX

tgreer

Jun 27, 2013, 9:44:09 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I might pop over tomorrow?

How's it funded exactly?

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 27, 2013, 9:59:02 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great! Let me know what time, so I can make sure someone is around.

Funded by our own (empty) pockets at the moment :(

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 27, 2013, 10:16:13 PM6/27/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks rikki, I appreciate it.

Martin (Crypt)

Jun 28, 2013, 5:21:23 AM6/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
nice work.  It might be a good idea to have some kind of opening party/open night so people can drop by and take a look around.  But well done, hope it all goes well.

Laura

Jun 28, 2013, 5:54:07 AM6/28/13
to london-hack-space
Oooh, thats pretty handy for me, couple of miles cycle up the towpath by the looks of it.  Might try and visit

Any interest in darkroom kit?

Laura

Marc Barto

Jun 28, 2013, 6:01:17 AM6/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, crys...@googlemail.com
Hi Richard

This sounds amazingly close to the Building Bloqs space, is that the same project? If not this maker space is located exactly 0.2 miles to yours according to google map: http://goo.gl/maps/ReB0a

"Building Bloqs is a co-working space for practical people and an amazing new home for makers and artists of all disciplines".
It would be somehow counter-intuitive to build 2 different communities, you might want to merge the projects! Anyway happy to introduce you to Al and his friends if you haven't yet as I'm sure they'll want to meet you.

Marc

Martin Dittus

Jun 28, 2013, 6:13:35 AM6/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

I assume you've neither decided on a name, nor created a website yet?

I started tracking new hackspace-type ventures in London here, feel free to update your entry once you have these:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/User:Martind/LondonSpaces#Early-Stage

Have you seen these pages yet? Well worth reading.
http://hackspace.org.uk/view/Starting_a_Hackerspace
http://russ.garrett.co.uk/2009/10/25/starting-a-non-profit-in-the-uk/

m.

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 28, 2013, 6:20:02 AM6/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, crys...@googlemail.com
@Martin: Sounds like a cunning plan ;) Not sure what day and time (or night) is best from your experience?

@Laura: Yes, there is a door bell at the front door. I am in today till 1pm and tomorrow the whole day from 10am onwards.
What is a darkroom kit? Google tells me nothing... ;)

Laura

Jun 28, 2013, 6:38:42 AM6/28/13
to london-hack-space
Darkroom, as in photographic darkroom, for developing and printing

Tomahawk PPC

Jun 28, 2013, 2:46:04 PM6/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Darkroom sounds interesting. How much equipment / size is it?
Sorry for this non-educated question...

rik...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2013, 7:37:13 AM7/1/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomahawk PPC,

I decided to cancel the listing of the 3 server, so they are up for grabs. Please note I don't have the hard drive, I brought the server for a project that never started. I can drop it off.

thanks

rikki

Martin Klang

Jul 1, 2013, 7:45:43 AM7/1/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I might have some spare proliant drives, if they are SCA SCSI ones.

/m

On 1 Jul 2013, at 12:37, rik...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Tomahawk PPC,

Tomahawk PPC

Jul 1, 2013, 8:42:28 AM7/1/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys!

Let me know what day and time you can make and I should be there.

A few days in advance would be good ;)

Tomahawk PPC

Jul 2, 2013, 11:57:48 AM7/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laura,

When would you like to come around?

Tomahawk PPC

Jul 12, 2013, 7:14:12 AM7/12/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

we had Ian and Richard from Artist Blacksmith @ Artisan Ironwork checking out our place and they like it.
Especially the spacious parking space.

I checked out the Building Bloqs close by and it is a nice space, but different from ours. So if anything it seems we are complementing each other :)

Stay tuned...

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 10, 2013, 9:52:28 AM8/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello, more news from the one-man Hackspace in N18.

We, ok I, have finally an Oculus Rift, Leap Motion and Ouya now.

Anyone interested in that location to come along and play / test etc ;)

Cheers,

Richard

Martin (Crypt)

Aug 10, 2013, 10:52:39 AM8/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sounds great, I'm working on some things right now that will hopefully work on the rift so might drop by and show if off.  Also can just come by and hang out, when u available?

He Was Eaten By Owls

Aug 10, 2013, 2:41:05 PM8/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Richard!
This space sounds great! I have a few laptops I'd gladly donate, and could probably source a bunch of wiring etc that you might need... We're a D.I.Y music collective currently based in Tottenham, only the place we've been squatting for four years is being renovated, so we're out of a studio... I was wondering, would there be space where you are to securely store our stuff, and rehearse / record our albums? We'd gladly donate at least £50 a month to the upkeep of the place, and so long as nobody minds the noise... ;-)
  Anyway, the laptops are yours if you want them, let me know if you're interested?
All the best,

E.L

tomaha...@gmx.net

Aug 12, 2013, 3:36:14 PM8/12/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi E.L,

That sounds great.

Let me know when you want to see the place.

Cheers,

Richard

tom

Aug 13, 2013, 7:16:47 AM8/13/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
are you guys using IRC or similar?
I'm moving up that way soon so will have to pop in sometime :)

He Was Eaten By Owls

Aug 13, 2013, 5:01:27 PM8/13/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! How would thursday, after 4pm be for you?
Thanks Richard,
E.L

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 13, 2013, 9:54:39 PM8/13/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi E.L,

I am not there at that time, but someone should be there to show you around.

Cheers,

Richard

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 14, 2013, 8:29:47 AM8/14/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We have a party / Open day on Friday from 5pm. Would that work for you?

He Was Eaten By Owls

Aug 14, 2013, 4:59:53 PM8/14/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Friday sounds great! I can be there after six. Thanks, see you then.

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 14, 2013, 7:00:00 PM8/14/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
great! the more the merrier!

tom

Aug 16, 2013, 10:30:16 AM8/16/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i'll be popping along about 7:30 - 8 ish, is that ok?

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 17, 2013, 1:26:47 PM8/17/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,

Did you came at the end?

I was caught up with work and came around 9pm.

It was a great evening with fireworks at the end.

He Was Eaten By Owls

Aug 17, 2013, 3:05:32 PM8/17/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
argh, sorry i didn't make friday! wish i had... i popped up thursday but alas nobody was home. the building looks great though. any chance people will be around tuesday afternoon for a visit? thanks, all the best. E.L

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 18, 2013, 9:43:17 AM8/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi EL,
Yes Tuesday after 19:30 I should be around.

He Was Eaten By Owls

Aug 22, 2013, 1:40:08 PM8/22/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Richard! I popped by on tuesday, maybe I missed you? met a really nice guy called Roy outside though, who had come for a meeting and explained a lot more to me about what goes on at the space, which got me really excited! there's loads I'd like to discuss with you! If there's a free evening over this weekend please let me know and I'll come straight up. My mobile number is 07772796701. Hope this finds you well, E.L

Tomahawk PPC

Aug 22, 2013, 3:44:16 PM8/22/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sorry missed you 15 - 20 minutes.

Will call you soon.

Richard

Aug 22, 2013, 3:42:36 PM8/22/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi E.L.

Sorry I must have missed you by 15 - 20 minutes.

calling you soon

On 2013-08-22 18:40, He Was Eaten By Owls wrote:

Hey Richard! I popped by on tuesday, maybe I missed you? met a really nice guy called Roy outside though, who had come for a meeting and explained a lot more to me about what goes on at the space, which got me really excited! there's loads I'd like to discuss with you! If there's a free evening over this weekend please let me know and I'll come straight up. My mobile number is 07772796701. Hope this finds you well, E.L

Kind regards, Richard PS: My SKY address is gone. please use richard....@arcor.de in the future.

Jonty Wareing

Aug 23, 2013, 12:31:56 PM8/23/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Guys, this is going out over two thousand people. Can you please take
this off-list?

Thanks,
--jonty