Mini-lathe update.

Billy

Jan 11, 2012, 9:17:24 AM1/11/12
to London Hackspace

I've just installed the new compound slide leadscrew endplate.

I made it out of some nice scrap steel that Phil and i found in a skip
in the last day of last year.

Making it was fun, and an entertaining way to improve my skills. I'd
been shaving the metal away for around 4 hours, when Russ said that
the big lathe wouid do it more easily.

It took him 10 minutes!

I then shaved the internal holes so they would fit the compound slide
leadscrew, and give a better fit than the old one. It's a higher grade
of steel than the leadscrew, so the leadscrew shaft will probably be
the point of failure next time round.

It was fun to use the mini-lathe to make the replacement parts for
itself.

Toby Catlin

Jan 11, 2012, 9:18:38 AM1/11/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com