Storage Request #348: `2 cast iron radiators by ian fisher

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Feb 11, 2016, 5:48:02 AM2/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
`2 cast iron radiators
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/storage/348
by ian fisher
11th Feb 2016 - 26th Feb 2016
Request for 15 days in the yard (a)

Dismantling into sections.....so that I can polish and paint them and install on my dutch barge we are converting to use as a performance space/gallery/workshop...I only really need enough time so split them into manageable sections (each section weighs 40 kilos) and can then take them to our studio for the rest of the work

***If no one replies to this topic the request will be automatically approved within 7 days.***

tim_n

Feb 11, 2016, 6:07:26 AM2/11/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Hi Ian,

Just checking - are these radiators you own and have ripped out of your boat and are relatively new? Or are they very old cast iron radiators which *might* be lead painted?

If you're happy there is no risk of lead paint being on them or chipping off in the yard, not a problem, but if you were stripping them down etc, it's not the sort of pollutant I think many would want in the yard without adequate protection.

I only mention it because people don't look at radiators and go "does this have lead paint on it" and having had several contractors been hospitalised because of it due to lack of due care (even when it's in the work information pack!)

Ian Fisher

Feb 13, 2016, 12:18:43 PM2/13/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Hi Tim

I can appreciate your concern..the radiators are old ...the plan was to split them in to sections of a manageable size and take them to be safely sandblasted elsewhere (probably Sinopol polishing in Hackney Rd)...our main problem is that they are so heavy that we cant get them out of the van without a forklift unless we partially dismantle them....there is a special tool called a spudwrench needed to take them apart which I was hoping to make in your metalwork shop....We have spent the last year in Holland restoring the barge and have been very careful working with and disposing of any old coatings that could potentially be hazardous...even the barnacles we scraped from the bottom of the hull were classified as a biohazard and cost us 800 euros to dispose of....we always work on the principle of assuming things are potentially dangerous unless we have concrete proof to the contrary..

In summary...the radiators are old...we cannot be sure what paint is on them but have no plans to remove any paint at hackspace...our main goal is to create a tool to dismantle them and then put them back in the van and take them away....hope this helps

Ian

tim_n

Feb 16, 2016, 3:52:35 AM2/16/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Fair enough!

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Feb 16, 2016, 5:09:00 AM2/16/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Approved with the reason 'All queries answered.' by Edward Rosten

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Mar 18, 2016, 8:15:30 AM3/18/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'can we have an update please' by Dean Forbes

Ian Fisher

Apr 11, 2016, 10:11:42 AM4/11/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Sorry...It took forever to get them sandblasted ....they are now completely free of all old coatings....would it still be ok to keep them here for a couple of weeks while we replace the old gaskets and asemble them into more manageably sized pieces

Thanks

Ian

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jun 11, 2016, 1:08:57 PM6/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'has it been removed ?' by Timour chomilier

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jun 30, 2016, 6:28:06 AM6/30/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
They have not been removed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0

On 11/06/2016 18:08, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk wrote:
> Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'has it been removed
> ?' by Timour chomilier

Mr Ed

Jun 30, 2016, 9:11:13 AM6/30/16
to London Hackspace

On Thursday, 30 June 2016 11:28:06 UTC+1, Sci wrote:
They have not been removed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0

Time to NOD them. Speaking of which how can these be actually D'd if they're not picked up by the owner? They can't go in the bin and would anyone take them even for free now they've gone pretty rusty?

 -Ed

On 11/06/2016 18:08, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk wrote:
> Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'has it been removed
> ?' by Timour chomilier

Mike

Jun 30, 2016, 11:00:46 AM6/30/16
On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 06:11:12AM -0700, Mr Ed wrote:

> Time to NOD them. Speaking of which how can these be actually D'd if
> they're not picked up by the owner? They can't go in the bin and would
> anyone take them even for free now they've gone pretty rusty?

I regularly leave things on the front drive of my house and the two
things that never cease to amaze me are how fast they go (record is 30
minutes) and the sort of things which people will collect:

* rusted cold water tank
* microwave oven chassis after all the good bits were removed
* Tent with a sign attached reading "leaky tent"
* satellite dish that had been thrown off the roof and used as a fire
pit
* office chair with defective gas lift and the cover ripped off

The only concern I'd have about leaving the radiators outside the gates
would be that they may get collected so fast that the resulting sonic
boom may break near by windows.

Mike.
signature.asc

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jun 30, 2016, 5:40:13 PM6/30/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sell them? They are very nice radiators.

I'll happily take them if they're being NOD'd.

On 30/06/2016 14:11, Mr Ed wrote:

> On Thursday, 30 June 2016 11:28:06 UTC+1, Sci wrote:
>
> They have not been removed.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0>
>

> Time to NOD them. Speaking of which how can these be actually D'd if
> they're not picked up by the owner? They can't go in the bin and would
> anyone take them even for free now they've gone pretty rusty?
>
> -Ed
>

> On 11/06/2016 18:08, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk <javascript:>
> wrote:
> > Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'has it been
> removed
> > ?' by Timour chomilier
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Adrian Godwin

Jun 30, 2016, 5:51:41 PM6/30/16
to london-hack-space
There. Taken before they even got to the gate. That's fast.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jun 30, 2016, 8:58:27 PM6/30/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to collect them at the weekend.

On 30/06/2016 22:51, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> There. Taken before they even got to the gate. That's fast.
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Peter "Sci" Turpin <s...@sci-fi-fox.com
> <mailto:s...@sci-fi-fox.com>> wrote:
>
> Sell them? They are very nice radiators.
>
> I'll happily take them if they're being NOD'd.
>
> On 30/06/2016 14:11, Mr Ed wrote:
>

> On Thursday, 30 June 2016 11:28:06 UTC+1, Sci wrote:
>
> They have not been removed.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhyc9xu0gur9mbz/2016-06-29%2019.13.39.jpg?dl=0>
>

> Time to NOD them. Speaking of which how can these be actually D'd if
> they're not picked up by the owner? They can't go in the bin and
> would
> anyone take them even for free now they've gone pretty rusty?
>
> -Ed
>

> On 11/06/2016 18:08, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
> <mailto:no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk> <javascript:>
> wrote:
> > Status changed to Passed Deadline with the reason 'has
> it been
> removed
> > ?' by Timour chomilier
> >
> > --
> from it,
> send
> > an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:london-hack-space%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> it, send
> an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:london-hack-space%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:london-hack-space%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.

Giacomo Giacomo

Jul 1, 2016, 6:02:40 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Could someone check in with Ian Fisher before disposal/removal please.  His last entry on this thread was April and previous by Google Groups.  He may not have been following the subsequent discussion/been able to/understand that he needs to etc.  I ask a courtesy to him, if there are mitigating circumstances.

Samb1

Jul 1, 2016, 6:43:28 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace
Hi,

I've sent him an email based on the contact details given.
We should give him a few days to respond I think then I suppose it's fair game.

Cheers,

Sam

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 7:07:47 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

Sounds fair to me. They're very long past the expired date.

-Ed

Cheers,

Sam

Giacomo Giacomo

Jul 1, 2016, 8:18:34 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, thanks Sam.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 1, 2016, 10:37:56 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well be sure to let them know vultures are circling. Might hurry them up.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 7, 2016, 8:39:59 AM7/7/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any word from them? Have they collected the radiators or should I
arrange a collection this weekend?

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 18, 2016, 5:09:17 PM7/18/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
These are still in the yard. Has the owner responded?

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 20, 2016, 9:36:54 AM7/20/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Got a message back from Sam. Apparently there has been no response from
Ian Fisher for 20 days and counting. They are 5 months over their
storage request. Are there any remaining objections to NOD'ing them?

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 20, 2016, 6:23:28 PM7/20/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In potential "last minute reprieve" news, I spoke to Simon Tyszko
tonight and he knows Ian and their partner.

They couldn't contact Ian directly, but managed to get through to their
partner and explained that the radiators are 5 months over their limit,
due for disposal and unlikely to be granted a storage extension.

I'm not privy to the details, but it sounds like they've spent a lot of
the last 5 months hurriedly making sure their boat won't sink. That at
least is an understandable distraction from email.

Hopefully we should hear back something concrete about whether they will
be collected in the next couple of days.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jul 22, 2016, 5:31:35 PM7/22/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have been told Ian may be able to collect these next week. I'm not
going to vouch for someone I've never met though, so have advised him
via Simon to seek a week or so storage extension to serve as a formal
notice of their impending removal by their owner.

simon tyszko

Jul 23, 2016, 9:35:47 AM7/23/16
to London Hackspace
eeeeeeek..... I've contacted ian re radiators..... he has been in boatland incommunicado both radio and emotionally.... (a common problem when refurbing giant dutch barges apparently).. he is under a bridge with no radio contact but... messages  received  and I'm going to help remove the radiators this week..... apologies all round from the errant captain  (omg is is july etc etc etc )...
sorry for the blockage...

and thanks Sci for passing this on....

best best
simon
tyszko

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Aug 6, 2016, 10:48:29 AM8/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Removed with the reason 'The radiators are no longer in the yard. Apparently collected by owner.' by Peter William Turpin