New pledge - Compressor

Charles Yarnold

Jan 1, 2012, 6:16:20 AM1/1/12
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hello all,

I have added a new pledge to the wiki, it is for a Airmaster Tiger 8/44 Air Compressor, I have been using one recently and the benefits of having one around a workshop are self evident, but if you want reasons why you should pledge to help get one for the space take a look at its pledge page:

I have added £50 to kick it off, and we need just under £170 to get it and 3 tools to go with it.

Pledge by bitch up!

Sol

Russ Garrett

Jan 1, 2012, 11:30:04 AM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 1 January 2012 11:16, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pledge by bitch up!

I promised to buy one of these when we got the new workshop last year,
I think it'll be a pretty handy bit of infrastructure.

I've pledged £40, and I propose to match the pledges 100% with
Hackspace funds. If that's OK with everyone then we've hit the pledge
target already.

However, I have two points:

It would be quite nice to hide this in the other toilet (I think we
should probably stop thinking about this as a toilet as the waste
plumbing seems to be insufficient), so it might be worth putting a bit
of permanent plumbing in with a couple of air connectors.

Secondly, it would be quite nice, if we can get enough pledges, to get
a more complete set of tools, such as this one:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p81899

(Air-powered impact wrenches are awesome.)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Steff

Jan 1, 2012, 11:36:48 AM1/1/12
On 1 January 2012 16:30, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

> Secondly, it would be quite nice, if we can get enough pledges, to get
> a more complete set of tools, such as this one:
> http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p81899
>
> (Air-powered impact wrenches are awesome.)

Having used one on my framebuilding course (to remove the excess bits
of seat- and downtube inside the bottom bracket using a
pineapple-shaped hardened burr) I can _highly_ recommend getting a die
grinder. Imagine a sort of high-precision angle grinder you can use in
a tightly constrained place - saves a lot of fuckups and extra filing
and grinding.

Russ Garrett

Jan 1, 2012, 12:11:53 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 1 January 2012 16:30, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> I've pledged £40, and I propose to match the pledges 100% with
> Hackspace funds. If that's OK with everyone then we've hit the pledge
> target already.

I've added the larger tool set and the Hackspace matching details to
the pledge page, so there's now only £47 remaining in the pledge!

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Storey

Jan 1, 2012, 12:17:41 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I agree about air tools, having set up several workshops over the years
they are invaluable tools, however if we are to do this then I think we
should invest in a higher grade air compressor, the compressor linked to
on the pledge page is not great and very very noisy in operation, also
the tank is not sufficient to hold pressure should several tools be in
operation at the same time, nor can it easily supply a spray gun which
will surely be wanted in the future ?

IMO we should buy a rotary compressor rather than a piston one, the
difference in efficiency is massive and they are also quiet, they are of
course more expensive.

If people agree about this then I will find some alternatives...

\t

Charles Yarnold

Jan 1, 2012, 12:23:51 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All I can say is that that compressor is rated fine for those tools, and that this compressor has served me well over the past few months. I can see multiple simultaneous tools being an issue for 95% of its operation, and waiting in line never hurt anyone ;) If you can find a better one for not a huge about more then ofcause that would be great!

Sol

Charles Yarnold

Jan 1, 2012, 12:24:25 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Should have read "I can't see"

Tim Storey

Jan 1, 2012, 12:27:24 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would be surprised if I can, air vane compressors hit the 400 mark,
but they are well worth the extra money... but then again I tend to
think far too industrial grade anyway... ;)

\t

On 01/01/2012 17:24, Charles Yarnold wrote:
> Should have read "I can't see"
>
> On 1 January 2012 17:23, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com

> <mailto:charles...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> All I can say is that that compressor is rated fine for those tools,
> and that this compressor has served me well over the past few
> months. I can see multiple simultaneous tools being an issue for 95%
> of its operation, and waiting in line never hurt anyone ;) If you
> can find a better one for not a huge about more then ofcause that
> would be great!
>
> Sol
>

> On 1 January 2012 17:17, Tim Storey <tim.s...@gmail.com

> <mailto:tim.s...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I agree about air tools, having set up several workshops over
> the years
> they are invaluable tools, however if we are to do this then I
> think we
> should invest in a higher grade air compressor, the compressor
> linked to
> on the pledge page is not great and very very noisy in
> operation, also
> the tank is not sufficient to hold pressure should several tools
> be in
> operation at the same time, nor can it easily supply a spray gun
> which
> will surely be wanted in the future ?
>
> IMO we should buy a rotary compressor rather than a piston one, the
> difference in efficiency is massive and they are also quiet,
> they are of
> course more expensive.
>
> If people agree about this then I will find some alternatives...
>
> \t
> On 01/01/2012 16:36, Steff wrote:
> > On 1 January 2012 16:30, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Jan 1, 2012, 12:56:51 PM1/1/12
On 1 January 2012 17:17, Tim Storey <tim.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree about air tools, having set up several workshops over the years
> they are invaluable tools, however if we are to do this then I think we
> should invest in a higher grade air compressor, the compressor linked to
> on the pledge page is not great and very very noisy in operation, also
> the tank is not sufficient to hold pressure should several tools be in
> operation at the same time, nor can it easily supply a spray gun which
> will surely be wanted in the future ?

I don't expect we'll be using multiple tools at once. I guess it's not
suitable for paint spraying because it isn't oil-free? But at any rate
I don't expect a large amount of paint spraying to happen given that
we haven't got a dedicated area for it.

The amount I'm prepared to match out of Hackspace funds is £150. I'm
up for getting a more expensive compressor if people are willing to
pay, but I'm not sure there's that much demand.

Russ

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Adrian Godwin

Jan 1, 2012, 2:18:17 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I agree about multiple tools, and think we can probably use the
existing compressors for paint so don't need to worry about oil free
air. In fact we should probably add a lubricator as air tools
generally want oily air.

But die grinders use a surprising amount of air. Check specs before
assuming the suggested compressor will be sufficient. A quick look
suggests it's marginal. I have a much smaller 4cfm compressor and it
can't handle them, and can only run air wrenches intermittently.

I'm not really trying to argue for a bigger one as I suspect 8cfm is
enough for most uses and I'm not sure it's worth getting a huge one
for just a few tools that need it. I'm just saying, if you would like
to use a particular tool, check out the specs to ensure you won't be
disappointed.

Unusually for me, I'm also going to moan about safety. Blow guns seem
such innocuous and convenient devices. They can maim or kill. Don't
take them lightly. The main risks are : air injection into bloodstream
if you attempt to block the air outlet with a finger, and propelling
flying debris into eyes or flesh. They are useful for all the things
you'd expect .. and an uneducated user can cause serious damage.
Safety versions mitigate the risks but don't completely remove them.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Jan 1, 2012, 2:22:32 PM1/1/12
On 1 January 2012 19:18, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But die grinders use a surprising amount of air. Check specs before
> assuming the suggested compressor will be sufficient. A quick look
> suggests it's marginal. I have a much smaller 4cfm compressor and it
> can't handle them, and can only run air wrenches intermittently.
>
> I'm not really trying to argue for a bigger one as I suspect 8cfm is
> enough for most uses and I'm not sure it's worth getting a huge one
> for just a few tools that need it. I'm just saying, if you would like
> to use a particular tool, check out the specs to ensure you won't be
> disappointed.

The suggested tools have a usage of 4.5cfm and the compressor can
supply 7.5cfm, so by my reckoning that gives us ample headroom.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Adrian Godwin

Jan 1, 2012, 2:31:46 PM1/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that sounds OK, sorry I hadn't noticed there was a grinder in
that kit. Most tools are fine because they don't take continuous air,
but drills and grinders are more difficult- I found several that take
8cfm.

-adrian

Nigel Worsley

Jan 9, 2012, 10:48:26 AM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> IMO we should buy a rotary compressor rather than a piston one, the
> difference in efficiency is massive and they are also quiet, they are of
> course more expensive.

Something like this, perhaps?
http://www2.ppauctions.com/lot.php?l_id=11776&id=50&search=&cat=all&perPage=20&sort=2&thisPage=12

Nigle