Found a gentleman who is willing to do our plumbing for free

atom

Dec 17, 2011, 6:07:38 PM12/17/11
to London Hackspace
Hullo

Last week i met a chap called Chris, through Occupy London. He runs
community based plumbing workshops in Lewisham, and after i explained
about hackspace and the community we have here. he offered his
plumbing services for free next week, after i said that we needed some
plumbing done in the kitchen and possibly the darkroom.

he is also willing to do a kind of workshop when he is fitting the
plumbing - im going to be learning from him as he does it, and anyone
else is welcome to join. Will be able to confirm a day between monday-
thursday next week.

opinions/issues/rants/please :)

Also, do we have a sink for the kitchen? I can get one if needs be.
Also will be trying to get a sink for the darkroom.

Ollie

atom

Laura

Dec 17, 2011, 6:21:54 PM12/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to come and watch and learn. And if we get the darkroom
plumbing sorted, I could loan all my darkroom kit, which I've had to
put into storage.

Laura

Dec 17, 2011, 6:22:18 PM12/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All sounds awesome to me :)

Billy

Dec 17, 2011, 6:27:27 PM12/17/11
to London Hackspace

I'd like to watch and learn. And probably ask daft questions.

atom

Dec 17, 2011, 7:26:19 PM12/17/11
to London Hackspace
Ace glad to hear people are interested! Ill be ringing him and
probably seeing him tomorrow, i will get a day sorted and then let you
all know via this thread.

Im only around until thursday until i go home for christmas so it will
be before then.

Ollie

Russ Garrett

Dec 18, 2011, 9:11:41 AM12/18/11
On 17 December 2011 23:07, atom <theat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last week i met a chap called Chris, through Occupy London. He runs
> community based plumbing workshops in Lewisham, and after i explained
> about hackspace and the community we have here. he offered his
> plumbing services for free next week, after i said that we needed some
> plumbing done in the kitchen and possibly the darkroom.

Cool, speak to Phil to get the specifics of exactly what needs doing.
I'm probably not going to be around that much this week.

> Also, do we have a sink for the kitchen? I can get one if needs be.
> Also will be trying to get a sink for the darkroom.

As far as I know, we seem to have everything except the kitchen sink.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Adrian Godwin

Dec 18, 2011, 9:26:28 AM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Actually, I'm pretty sure we do have the kitchen sink (a new stainless
one, behind one of the kitchen units). It's the darkroom sink that we
don't have. The auction Akki14 pointed out has a useful looking one
(the smaller of the two pictured).

-adrian

Martin Klang

Dec 18, 2011, 10:33:44 AM12/18/11

On 18 Dec 2011, at 14:11, Russ Garrett wrote:

> Cool, speak to Phil to get the specifics of exactly what needs doing.

Phil is in Ghana.

/m

Russ Garrett

Dec 18, 2011, 10:35:08 AM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Good lord, what's he doing there? Is anyone else familiar enough with
the kitchen plans to let this guy know what needs doing?

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Billy

Dec 18, 2011, 11:31:11 AM12/18/11
to London Hackspace

Yes.

Phil showed me where the water for the sink is to plumb in from.

There are two pipes in the false ceiling, that need run down into the
studwall and out to the sink. The waste pipe needs run through the
quiet room, through into the bio-lab and onto the the capped waste
pipe.

The sections of wood on the floor in the quiet room are for the facing
to hide the waste pipe.

Rob Leverton knows more as he's spoken to Phil about it more recently
than me...

On Dec 18, 3:35 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18 December 2011 15:33, Martin Klang <m...@pingdynasty.com> wrote:
>
> > On 18 Dec 2011, at 14:11, Russ Garrett wrote:
> >> Cool, speak to Phil to get the specifics of exactly what needs doing.
>
> > Phil is in Ghana.
>
> Good lord, what's he doing there? Is anyone else familiar enough with
> the kitchen plans to let this guy know what needs doing?
>
> --
> Russ Garrett

> r...@garrett.co.uk

Billy

Dec 18, 2011, 11:39:25 AM12/18/11
to London Hackspace
forgot to say.

There's a couple of through valves that need to be fitted, where the
input pipes are currently capped off, so they can be turned off for
maintenance.

Adrian Godwin

Dec 18, 2011, 11:45:20 AM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

If he got waste & hot & cold water to somewhere in the kitchen it
would overcome the worst hurdle. I think the sketch plan on the wall
shows a possible location for the sink but Phil was talking about
putting it on the short wall.

However, actually connecting the sink is easy, it's the rest of the
piping (especially the waste) that needs a bit of skill and effort, so
just getting that pipework to the corner would be a fantastic help.

-adrian

Akki

Dec 18, 2011, 5:41:21 PM12/18/11
to London Hackspace
Unfortunately unless someone went on to the darkroom auction on
Saturday to bid and pay for said darkroom sink, it's probably already
gone to someone else :/ so I think at the moment we don't have a sink
to plumb in in the dark/wet room.

On Dec 18, 2:26 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 17 December 2011 23:07, atom <theatomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Last week i met a chap called Chris, through Occupy London. He runs
> >> community based plumbing workshops in Lewisham, and after i explained
> >> about hackspace and the community we have here. he offered his
> >> plumbing services for free next week, after i said that we needed some
> >> plumbing done in the kitchen and possibly the darkroom.
>
> > Cool, speak to Phil to get the specifics of exactly what needs doing.
> > I'm probably not going to be around that much this week.
>
> >> Also, do we have a sink for the kitchen? I can get one if needs be.
> >> Also will be trying to get a sink for the darkroom.
>
> > As far as I know, we seem to have everything except the kitchen sink.
>
> > --
> > Russ Garrett

> > r...@garrett.co.uk

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 18, 2011, 5:37:19 PM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If the pipework could be brought to under the worktop and capped off in
right in the corner by the window that would be great. Use flexible
plastic pipe, that way it can be done in one run from the joint above the
solder bench, through the ceiling space and down the cavity in the wall.
So much easier than struggling with copper tube and recalcitrant fittings.
About 500mm or so above the floor will do for the final connexion to the
water heater and the cold tap. Please do not cut the sink into the top
yet, I may have a more suitable one on the way (haven`t seen it yet!)

The waste pipe needs to traverse the quiet room, a considerable distance
considering the short vertical available. I was going to space it from the
wall to avoid having to introduce three or four elbows around the pillar
between the two units. This is a very inelegant solution so if anyone has
other ideas let us know, kudos is waiting for you.

I shall be back next week and should be able to talk it over with whoever

Phil

--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

Adrian Godwin

Dec 18, 2011, 7:01:49 PM12/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just don't mention pushfit plumbing in the hearing of any of the
Brighton hackspace people.

-adrian

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 19, 2011, 3:18:51 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:01:49 -0000, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just don't mention pushfit plumbing in the hearing of any of the
> Brighton hackspace people.
>
> -adrian

Never had any problem with it, but it does need to be properly done. It is
a different technique is all... Relies on the pipe ends being properly
prepared, rough or non square ends damage the seals during assembly.

Mike

Dec 19, 2011, 9:38:30 AM12/19/11
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 03:27:27PM -0800, Billy wrote:

> I'd like to watch and learn. And probably ask daft questions.

To quote Jon Postal: "Be conservative with your solder and liberal with
your flux and heat".

Mike.

signature.asc

Mike

Dec 19, 2011, 9:39:30 AM12/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

They have telephones in Ghana. They even have the Interweb too!

Mike.

signature.asc

Billy

Dec 19, 2011, 11:09:20 AM12/19/11
to London Hackspace

Yus. I forgot to mention some of this.

Last time i spoke to Phil, he had some fairly specific ideas for
securing/supporting the work-surfaces.

At the moment the are supported at the back, but have no other support
at the front. There are some cupboards propping them up, but this is
just a temporary solution.

How they'll be supported will be partly determined on the final
placement of the sink.

Like Phil said, if we get the water pipes plumbed in somewhere handy,
and the waste pipe installed, the final connection to the sink can
wait until we get the proper one.