Re: [london-hack-space] Help with basic electronics please?

Message has been deleted

Matt Peperell

Jan 18, 2012, 4:27:29 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'd be able to go through some of this with you. I can head to hackspace this evening, if that would be convenient.

That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary electronics course. so two questions, then:

Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event
Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3 including me)

Dates and details to be sorted afterwards; at the moment I'm just assessing interest.

Cheers,
Matt

On 16 Jan 2012 13:32, "Kn0bfidd1er" <skeme...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I am planning on joining the Hackspace shortly as it is something
that has interested me for a while. However, I am very new to
electronics and do not know much at all. I was wondering if it would
be possible to come in at some point over the weekend or during next
week for someone to show me the basics, it would be greatly
appreciated. My aim is to finally build a fuzz distortion pedal for my
guitar, I have some schematics and electronics bits and bobs that I
can bring in. I just need some help to get me kick started in to gear.
I know I can't make a pedals straight away as there are a lot of
things to learn before hand. So if anyone is willing to help, please
let me know, I am completely flexible with time. Not sure how to pay
you back apart from maybe buying you a beer or two but feel free to
recommend anything else.

Cheers,

Simon

Darren McDonald

Jan 18, 2012, 4:28:50 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Id be interested

scary boots

Jan 18, 2012, 5:44:06 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
oh gods train me please

Steff

Jan 18, 2012, 6:20:36 AM1/18/12
On 18 January 2012 09:27, Matt Peperell <mpep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be able to go through some of this with you. I can head to hackspace
> this evening, if that would be convenient.
>
> That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has
> made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary electronics
> course. so two questions, then:
>
> Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event

I would. I know a very little, but would definitely be interested in
learning more.

> Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3
> including me)

I'd love to, but I fear I'd be very little help. I just don't know enough yet.

I can recommend
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Engineering-101-Everything-Probably/dp/0750678127
for beginners, BTW. Better starting point than The Art Of Electronics anyway.

Paddy Duncan

Jan 18, 2012, 6:23:49 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I would be interested in helping..

Paddy

Tim Storey

Jan 18, 2012, 6:27:32 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested as well in attending and helping, at one point
Morris and Jose were talking about doing something similar...

\t

On 18/01/2012 11:23, Paddy Duncan wrote:
> I would be interested in helping..
>
> Paddy

Nigel Worsley

Jan 18, 2012, 6:44:55 AM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Who would be interested in helping

I could help out, depending on dates/times.

Nigle

Alex

Jan 18, 2012, 7:02:00 AM1/18/12
to London Hackspace
Sounds kool, would definitely be up for attending.

Adrian Godwin

Jan 18, 2012, 7:10:38 AM1/18/12
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Matt Peperell <mpep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event
> Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3
> including me)

happy to help.

-adrian

Gavan Fantom

Jan 18, 2012, 7:42:02 AM1/18/12
On 18/01/2012 09:27, Matt Peperell wrote:
> That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has
> made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary
> electronics course. so two questions, then:
>
> Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event
> Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3
> including me)

I'd be up for helping, subject to availability.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget

Gleb Dolgich

Jan 18, 2012, 2:20:30 PM1/18/12

On 18 Jan 2012, at 09:27, Matt Peperell wrote:

I'd be able to go through some of this with you. I can head to hackspace this evening, if that would be convenient.

That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary electronics course. so two questions, then:

Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event

My son (14) and I, depending on date/time.

--
Gleb

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

danny staple

Jan 19, 2012, 2:38:23 AM1/19/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I left "Practical Electronics for inventors" in the space a while back
- a light book with direct practical steps to build on, some of the
theory and can get you coasting.

Danny

On 19 January 2012 02:06, Kn0bfidd1er <skeme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers for the book recommendation, had a quick flick through it and
> it looks like it can help a lot.
>
> Simon
>
> On Jan 18, 11:20 am, Steff <st...@steff.name> wrote:

>> On 18 January 2012 09:27, Matt Peperell <mpeper...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'd be able to go through some of this with you. I can head to hackspace
>> > this evening, if that would be convenient.
>>
>> > That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has
>> > made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary electronics
>> > course. so two questions, then:
>>
>> > Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event
>>
>> I would. I know a very little, but would definitely be interested in
>> learning more.
>>
>> > Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3
>> > including me)
>>
>> I'd love to, but I fear I'd be very little help. I just don't know enough yet.
>>

>> I can recommendhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Engineering-101-Everything-Probabl...

>> for beginners, BTW. Better starting point than The Art Of Electronics anyway.

Danny Staple

Director, ODM Solutions Ltd
w: http://www.odmsolutions.co.uk
Blog: http://orionrobots.co.uk/blog1-Danny-Staple

Ximin Luo

Jan 18, 2012, 9:40:38 PM1/18/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.appropedia.org/Low_voltage_connection_basics
http://www.appropedia.org/Electricity_basics

is pretty useful if you just want a basic knowledge to e.g. select the right
power adapter for a component

On 19/01/12 02:06, Kn0bfidd1er wrote:
> Cheers for the book recommendation, had a quick flick through it and
> it looks like it can help a lot.
>
> Simon
>
> On Jan 18, 11:20 am, Steff <st...@steff.name> wrote:

>> On 18 January 2012 09:27, Matt Peperell <mpeper...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be able to go through some of this with you. I can head to hackspace
>>> this evening, if that would be convenient.
>>
>>> That said, seeing your message and others like it over recent months has
>>> made me wonder if there would be much interest in an elementary electronics
>>> course. so two questions, then:
>>
>>> Who would be interested in attending if I were to run such an event
>>
>> I would. I know a very little, but would definitely be interested in
>> learning more.
>>
>>> Who would be interested in helping (I estimate 1-2 others needed, so 3
>>> including me)
>>
>> I'd love to, but I fear I'd be very little help. I just don't know enough yet.
>>

>> I can recommendhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Engineering-101-Everything-Probabl...

>> for beginners, BTW. Better starting point than The Art Of Electronics anyway.

GPG: 4096R/5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0
https://bitbucket.org/infinity0
https://launchpad.net/~infinity0

signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Paul Rathbone

Jan 29, 2012, 5:02:45 PM1/29/12
to London Hackspace
Helping AND attending :-)

Billy

Jan 29, 2012, 7:14:49 PM1/29/12
to London Hackspace

I've been trying to teach myself the basics for a while now, with
mixed results.

The "Practical Electronics for Inventors" is great and there's a fair
few other textbooks i've come across online.

I'll be along to any teaching sessions that anyone wants to organise,
I'll help with the logistics of organising and running the sessions,
but i'll be there to learn.

On Jan 29, 10:02 pm, Paul Rathbone <paulrathbonelon...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Helping AND attending :-)

deathzerozero

Jan 30, 2012, 9:44:59 AM1/30/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in attending!

Zoe

NNeil

Jan 30, 2012, 6:51:24 PM1/30/12
to London Hackspace
I've been thinking about running a really basic electronics course for
a while now (the basics are the most important). I started doing some
slides, but found it hard going. I'd be much more comfortable doing it
on a black or white board.

Another hurdle is getting kits together. Everyone needs a breadboard,
components, and a battery or two. We can get together a pool of meters
and scopes to loan. But I think you really need to sell the kits or
find someone who has a decent prepared kit. By decent I mean things
like large resistors, which are easier to read and handle when
breadboarding.

Any pointers to kits?

phil jones

Jan 31, 2012, 8:59:33 AM1/31/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Oomlout do a good Arduino + bits kit

vedran

Jan 31, 2012, 10:02:01 AM1/31/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You can also look at:
and

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM, phil jones <inte...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oomlout

John Best

Jan 31, 2012, 10:48:25 AM1/31/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I am a newbie and I found the oomlout kit to be very good.

J.

Sent from my iPhone

Steve M0BPQ

Feb 1, 2012, 6:05:12 AM2/1/12
to London Hackspace
I've use stuff from http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ before for
courses I have run, but it's not cheap as they provide decent PCBs.

I don't have a lot of free time, but will be willing to help out on a
basic electronics course, especially if it is run on an evening rather
than a weekend. If there is enough interest, with a bit of effrot we
could make this a dual purpose course and give interested participants
credit towards an amateur radio licence.

Cheers
Steve

On Jan 31, 3:48 pm, John Best <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I am a newbie and I found the oomlout kit to be very good.
>
> J.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

phil jones

Feb 1, 2012, 10:08:41 AM2/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
FYI : I've created a wiki page for the basic electronics course some
people have been asking about :
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Basic_Electronics_Course
Could put suggestions there for electronics suppliers too.

phil

Zoe Plumb

Feb 1, 2012, 12:34:48 PM2/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would it be a good idea to get people to get a kit from maplin? (I got one and have been trying to solder it together but lack basic understanding of what all the bits are).

vedran

Feb 1, 2012, 1:33:32 PM2/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Concerning electronics it's up to what you wish to achieve.

If you just want to get some basic knowledge, play a bit with those parts, than all those tutorials and kits are good choice. But in case you want to achieve complete understanding, even if it is only basic knowledge, you MUST start with fundamentals from physics and electrical knowledge and than to move further to fundamental and complete books like this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/309

Once you get all those knowledge, you can continue to further into programming, microcontrollers etc...

p.s. ofcourse, correct understanding is very important, you don't need to be master of all that :)

vedran

Feb 1, 2012, 1:34:16 PM2/1/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You can also start with this, in case you really want to achieve complete knowledge: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

benjamin winston

Feb 2, 2012, 5:41:06 AM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you wish to improve your fabrication skills, then a kit is a good plan. If you want to learn to analyse and design electronic circuits, it's a bad place to start, you'd want a good book and a tutor.

vedran

Feb 2, 2012, 9:16:23 AM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
yes, Benjamin was more precise in defining of this issue.

Zoe Plumb

Feb 2, 2012, 6:39:35 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well apologies, I'm a beginner and was just making a suggestion, won't bother joining in in future.

Feb 2, 2012, 6:46:07 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Zoe, the hackspace isn't about putting people down. Your suggestions
are as valid as anyone else's. :)

Nothing stopping you from learning from kits, it depends how you
personally choose to explore the subject and what you want to get out
of it. Seems like a nice starting point, like any other really.

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Tim Storey

Feb 2, 2012, 6:47:09 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Zoe, people are just trying to pin down requirements, there's nothing
personal intended I'm sure.

This following link was posted before but is very helpful
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html as a start to grasping
basics. After that you really need (IMO) to have a project in mind if
you want to get the hang of electronic's rather than just soldering

\t

On 02/02/2012 23:39, Zoe Plumb wrote:
> Well apologies, I'm a beginner and was just making a suggestion, won't
> bother joining in in future.
>
> On 2 February 2012 14:16, vedran <vala...@gmail.com

> <mailto:vala...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> yes, Benjamin was more precise in defining of this issue.
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM, benjamin winston
> <benjamin...@gmail.com <mailto:benjamin...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you wish to improve
> your fabrication skills, then a kit is a good plan. If you want
> to learn to analyse and design electronic circuits, it's a bad
> place to start, you'd want a good book and a tutor.

> On Feb 1, 2012 5:34 PM, "Zoe Plumb" <deathz...@gmail.com

> <mailto:deathz...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Would it be a good idea to get people to get a kit from
> maplin? (I got one and have been trying to solder it
> together but lack basic understanding of what all the bits are).
>
> On 30 January 2012 23:51, NNeil <nne...@gmx.com

Adrian Godwin

Feb 2, 2012, 7:25:48 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I may have misunderstood, but I thought vedran meant benjamin stated
it more thoroughly than he, vedran did.

-adrian

John Best

Feb 3, 2012, 3:52:19 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As people will be at varying degrees of beginnerness, maybe it could be more of a "learning electronics club" format?

Perhaps a few sessions where new people and (generous) knowledgable people meet up and play?

A standard kit could be useful for people to bring if they want to get a basic grounding.

Others could bring bits they wanted to learn about.

Jb

Ps. I have been going through that allaboutelectronics resource, very useful. (although I got the same content from a different place)
Also used the oomlout arduino starter kit, also very good.
Pps. Still not actually been to the hacker space, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to my suggestion.
Ppps. I agree about needing a project, that is certainly what I advise when people want to learn programming.

benjamin winston

Feb 3, 2012, 6:52:56 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hey Zoe, chill! It was actually an offer to help in both avenues. I love sharing what I know and learning more.

vedran

Feb 13, 2012, 11:32:11 AM2/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

those who are interested in serious learning of electronics and if you had basic physics and calculus knowledge, you can enroll at https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/

--
6.002x (Circuits and Electronics) is designed to serve as a first course in an undergraduate electrical engineering (EE), or electrical engineering and computer science (EECS) curriculum. At MIT, 6.002 is in the core of department subjects required for all undergraduates in EECS.

Cos Chapman

Robert Kiggins

Jun 22, 2016, 2:00:12 PM6/22/16
to London Hackspace
There is a rad book called "Getting started in Electronics" by Forrest M Mims

Takes you right the way through the basics, all hand written, little cartoons, I was stoked on it when I found it.

Got a google doc for it here

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/edit

Cheers

Henry Best

Jun 22, 2016, 10:04:55 PM6/22/16
to London Hackspace
Do you realise that you're replying to a thread that's over 4 years old?

Cos Chapman

Jul 13, 2016, 9:17:41 AM7/13/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Opps - and then wrote but failed to send a reply :(

Only just getting the hang of forums!

sorry and thanks - Cos