Storage Request #40: large format printer a0 by joshua miller

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Dec 12, 2014, 7:15:23 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
large format printer a0
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/storage/40
by joshua miller
13th Dec 2014 - 14th Jan 2015
Request for 1 month, 1 day in the ground floor (anywhere)

I have had designjet 500 printer that I do not have room for at the moment.... I'm proposing long term loan to the space.... It's capable of printing a0 x 10 m full colour on most types of paper.... It needs 90 quids worth of print heads to run though..... Any suggestions

***If no one replies to this topic the request will be automatically approved within 2 days.***

privateer

Dec 12, 2014, 7:18:31 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
T might be really useful for designers or anyone really...i bought it for printing templates for car body's for instance.. Just imagine the possibilitys lol

Henry Sands

Dec 12, 2014, 7:45:17 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This would actually be quite cool to have, would probably have to figure out a payment system and where it would actually fit beforehand though.

Sarah Simmonds

Dec 12, 2014, 8:16:25 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Have you removed your 3D printer? It's showing as passed deadline on the storage systems do was due for removal over a week ago.

Tim Reynolds

Dec 12, 2014, 8:17:11 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Have you got a model number?

Nigel Worsley

Dec 12, 2014, 8:21:45 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The big problem with old HP printers is driver support for current versions of Windows. We have a Designjet 480 at work that we may
end up scrapping as we can't find drivers for ANY of our current PCs.

Nigle

Henry Sands

Dec 12, 2014, 8:27:37 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Is it on the wheeled base? If so then its probably just a bit larger than the vinyl cutter and can be rolled away when not in use.

If it does have the wheeled base, then I say go for it, would be great for printing posters and banners and stuff.

Tom Newsom

Dec 12, 2014, 9:01:06 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We have a Designjet 500 at work, identical to the OP's. We can print from all versions of windows up to 8.1 using unmodified HP drivers.

The 480 must be that little bit too obsolete.

Paddy Duncan

Dec 12, 2014, 9:28:32 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Does it have network connectivity?

Tom Sands

Dec 12, 2014, 9:40:01 AM12/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Have you tried unofficial cartridges? They seem to be £25 for a set rather than £90.

David Sullivan

Dec 12, 2014, 9:50:58 AM12/12/14
On Friday, 12 December 2014 14:28:32 UTC, PaddyD wrote:
Does it have network connectivity?

I can supply one if it doesn't, they're normal HP AIO cards, perhaps take the one out of the HP 2100 if it's not gone yet.

Sully.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

privateer

Dec 13, 2014, 10:46:45 AM12/13/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The inks fine... its the print heads that need replacement .... 30 quid a head...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

privateer

Dec 13, 2014, 11:19:59 AM12/13/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not sure...about connectivity never tried... I imagine someone can get it on the network ..
but drivers etc do work on win 7 etc . Just needs new heads.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/250826137366

.... it has a wheeled stand and a big roll of paper...

Henry Sands

Dec 13, 2014, 11:31:44 AM12/13/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
if its got a wheeled stand then I'm all for it.

privateer

Dec 14, 2014, 12:23:32 PM12/14/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Tomasz Mloduchowski

May 2, 2015, 5:29:50 PM5/2/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Bumping it up - what are the news?

Did anyone manage to get it into some working shape? What still needs to be done?

Eugene Nadyrshin

May 2, 2015, 8:14:08 PM5/2/15
to london-hack-space
The pledge was met recently but no further updates.

Tomasz Mloduchowski

Jun 28, 2015, 5:11:26 PM6/28/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OK. Update!

1) I bought the Print Heads - so, everyone on that pledge, please pay up (and could please someone explain to me how would I get reimbursed?)
2) Joshua and Jay and myself have installed the heads in the printers - and it works, and is supported reasonably well under CUPS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a2qfn8f8a9pcxx/IMG_20150628_210752.jpg?dl=0

There is a caveat - the switch that was meant to detect if the printer operates with it's window/cover closed has lost it's lever - I've worked around it by adding a manual switch (red, dangling loose on the wires) - so whenever it asks you to close/open the window, just toggle it. Be careful - the printer is pretty snappy, make sure there is nothing in the work area that it can hit/get caught on.

The panel UI is very self-explanatory, you should have no trouble operating it at all.

We would need to decide how do we deal with the consumables, printservers v/s direct USB connection, etc. If the ink level indicator is to be trusted, the printer has ~50% of black and around 90% of C/M/Y.

I'm not sure how much does the ink cost.

Best,
Tomasz

David Sullivan

Jun 28, 2015, 5:43:02 PM6/28/15
On Sunday, 28 June 2015 22:11:26 UTC+1, Tomasz Mloduchowski wrote:
We would need to decide how do we deal with the consumables, printservers v/s direct USB connection, etc. If the ink level indicator is to be trusted, the printer has ~50% of black and around 90% of C/M/Y.

HP indicate that it's compatible with a HP Jetdirect 610n network card which I have a few spare of. I'll leave one on top of the printer when I'm in later in the week.

Sully.

Marc Torres

Jul 3, 2015, 5:20:42 PM7/3/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomasz,

I would like to use the printer to print large scale patters. Just black lines but might be some meters of paper, maybe 5 meters.
I can collaborate buying a roll of paper. Is there a chance to meet you this weekend in the Hackspace and show me how to, and where to buy the roll, etc?

Thanks!
Marc

El diumenge, 28 juny de 2015 22:11:26 UTC+1, Tomasz Mloduchowski va escriure:

JJ

Sep 10, 2015, 12:05:16 PM9/10/15
to London Hackspace
What's the current status of the HP plotter/large format printer?  Does it have an owner/maintainer?  I ask because I've just heard of another of the same but with an HPGL2 network card fitted, becoming available in a week or two.  I've known it since it was a year or two old, it's in working order, possibly slightly better cosmetic condition than the one at the space, and recently overhauled but the x-axis carriage is making some unhappy noises so it's being replaced by a new model in case it fails when they have a rush job.

It's in Thames Ditton but I just might be able to get it dropped off.  Or if it's not felt to be useful enough as a whole are there any parts I should cannibalise before it's scrapped?  If the whole top section is easily separated it could possibly be stored on the base of the stand of the existing one.

In any case I'll see if there are any redundant consumables (ink, heads, spares) that I can snaffle.

JJ

JJ

Oct 14, 2015, 5:58:40 AM10/14/15
to London Hackspace
That other printer I mentioned is being decommissioned tomorrow so if the space wants it or any parts or consumables please let me know today or they'll be putting it on ebay.  (Or if anyone wants it privately, pm an offer as they'd rather not wait for an ebay sale.)

Otherwise, if nothing's going to be done with the existing one, should we get rid of it and free up the - not insignificant - space it's occupying?

JJ