Library question, C++ books

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 14, 2016, 7:44:35 PM10/14/16
to London Hackspace
Does the hackspace library have a copy of "Programming: Principles and
Practice Using C++" by Stroustrup? I'm seeing it advised as the best
beginners guide and I'm worried that the self-teaching guide I'm
currently using is dangerously out of date (2002, doesn't list C++ version).

Mr Ed

Oct 15, 2016, 4:12:22 AM10/15/16
to London Hackspace
I'd be very suspicious of the one from 2002. If you post it's name, I'll be able to confirm (or refute!) that suspicion.

The Stroustrup one is very good, but make sure you get the second edition.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 15, 2016, 10:22:52 AM10/15/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
"Teach yourself C++ in 24hrs" by Jesse Liberty. A gift that's been sat
on my shelf for years symbolising good intentions. Half the debugging
software illustrated in it doesn't exist anymore and a lot of it seems
written in a "we'll mention this term now but will we explain it later?
Who knows!" style.

Mr Ed

Oct 17, 2016, 10:20:38 AM10/17/16
to London Hackspace

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 15:22:52 UTC+1, Sci wrote:

"Teach yourself C++ in 24hrs" by Jesse Liberty. A gift that's been sat
on my shelf for years symbolising good intentions. Half the debugging
software illustrated in it doesn't exist anymore and a lot of it seems
written in a "we'll mention this term now but will we explain it later?
Who knows!" style.

I managed to find a PDF of a not ancient version, and I'd say very much don't bother with it. The 2011 edition doesn't seem to cover the standard library anywhere. It's a major part of the language and you'll suffer horribly if you avoid it, especially as it provides things that other languages provide natively.

-Ed

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 17, 2016, 1:14:40 PM10/17/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that reassurance.
It looks like the advised book by Stroustrup is about £40 though. The
only place I can find it cheaper is as a £20 ebook:
http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/23941553/programming-principles-and-practice-using-c-2nd

Chris McClelland

Oct 18, 2016, 7:38:28 PM10/18/16
to London Hackspace
I have a paper copy of Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup, which you can have for free if you collect from my home in E3 or my office at Canary Wharf.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 18, 2016, 10:16:54 PM10/18/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I live in E4, so that sounds extremely doable, thankyou!