DemoScene Viewing and Live Coding Night! 30th of May

Benjamin Blundell

May 6, 2015, 5:38:00 PM5/6/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ever heard of the DemoScene? Do you know your GLSL from your HLSL? Do you love pretty computer graphics and digital art? If you want to learn more about any of these things, plus have the chance to hack away on some livecoding then this night is for you!

We are showing a selection of demos from various parties, including some from Revision 2015. We have a decent rig, projector and soundsystem setup. Bring your favourite beverage of choice and enjoy the best in computer art.

To end the night, we'll be having a live coding session (software tbc but will likely involve GLSL and be cross platform). We'll link you up to our big projector and pipe in some excellent mixes to drive the visuals.

We'll be making the list of demos and software available here in the coming weeks. You can join us on irc at #lhs-graphics on freenode.

For more information check out http://www.graphicshackspace.org/

We'll be updating the page with the demos we want to show, and the programs we'll be using for the livecoding.

We'd like to run the event at the end of the month, saturday the 30th in the main classroom. We'll be using projectors and playing music. We are aware that Bad TV night is booked for then, however we'd like to ask the Bad TV night chaps if they don't mind postponing for this month as this was the best and only time we could run this event. We've not had such an event before and a few people have mentioned it would be fun. We'd appreciate the opportunity to make this a most-excellent night!

Cheers ya'all!

Crypt, Fridgehead and Oni

Peter "Sci" Turpin

May 6, 2015, 7:09:55 PM5/6/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ooooh, that sounds like a lot of fun to attend!

Eugene Nadyrshin

May 7, 2015, 3:44:14 AM5/7/15
to london-hack-space
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Joe Poser

May 7, 2015, 4:57:42 AM5/7/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
In the diary, always been interested in the Demoscene but found it difficult to find out much about it other than it exists.

See you then!

Paddy Duncan

May 7, 2015, 5:02:00 AM5/7/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Please note there has been no reply yet from those who have the room booked, and this is not yet confirmed or in the calendar.

All the replies so far seem to assume it is confirmed, possibly as the request part of the OP was at the bottom of the email.

Paddy

Benjamin Blundell

May 7, 2015, 5:03:41 AM5/7/15
to Joe Poser, london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
It’s not something that really exists in the UK, or the USA really for that matter; it’s much more of a european thing - as a scene. There are plenty of really talented artists and programmers in the UK but the parties and such happen abroad. There is one in the UK called Sundown, and there is an excellent party in Germany called Revision which Crypt and I have been to. In fact, it was their live coding, party atmosphere that inspired us to make this night happen.
signature.asc

Benjamin Blundell

May 7, 2015, 5:09:01 AM5/7/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Paddy, Ivan - yes, we'd like to book the classroom though if that turns out not to be possible we have other options we can choose, including timing changes and the main room if people don't mind. I'm sure we can make it work.

Ivan K.

May 9, 2015, 12:26:20 PM5/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
*sigh*

yeah, BTVN can be suspended for the evening (it turns quiet room booking is a vortex of drama i'd rather stay away from). Anyhow, Simon has bribed me with free beer for the evening. (this is in writing now)

in future you may wish to couch your proclamation in more of a question or do a lookup on the calandar *before* posting, oni.

-ik

Benjamin Blundell

May 9, 2015, 1:49:55 PM5/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
Thanks Ivan, we appreciate it.

We are putting together a list of demos we want to show for the first half of the night but for the second half we'd like to do a couple of things.

We are going to have a live coding session with our demo machine and the big projector but we'd like to use the second projector and the large telly for anyone else who wants to show off some interesting computer graphics work they've been tinkering with, much in the manner of the bring your own Beamer nights. We'll keep going till we run out of wall space to project onto :D

In the next couple of days I'll post up one of the live coding tools we'd like to use so people can have a play beforehand.

Looking  forward to it! :D

tom

May 9, 2015, 3:17:36 PM5/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, o...@section9.co.uk
WOO!

I've been working on a Java based livecoding tool (yeah yeah java is horrible, deal with it) that i'd like to play about with on a large projector and with music if we can

I'm also working on some tools to deliberately glitch JPG files in an interactive way (https://vine.co/v/emJdhXudQKb

We discovered that the orange projector I have can pretty much cover the classroom wall too :D

Benjamin Blundell

May 12, 2015, 5:04:17 PM5/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i've uploaded the first build of the windows live glsl coding tool.
Please test it and see what you think, and get some practice in! :P

Martin (Crypt)

May 30, 2015, 4:55:54 AM5/30/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick reminder, this is tonight.  We have lots planned, so would be good to see a few of you there.  We have a facebook group set up with more info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/386124034927272/