Spare graphics cards and lovelace upgrade (attn to Oni, ivan, jasper and cepmender)

Will Pearson

Dec 11, 2011, 3:33:30 PM12/11/11
to London Hackspace
We have at least two GeForce 7800 of various flavours floating about
the space (these are marginally better than what is in lovelace, but
it is probably not worth an upgrade).

One is in the light grey dennis (http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
view/Dennis#Light_Grey) which is a candidate for being an upgrade for
lovelace. Jasper/Phil do you mind me reinstalling ubuntu in standard
hackspace style? It doesn't seem to have the same set up as normal
(can't easily sudo, unless I am missing something). If we do replace
lovelace we will have a spare quadro fx (which is of the same era I
think).

There is also a silver PC currently in bits which I've not tried to
assemble yet.

Oni has asked for a graphics card for resurrecting the touch table,
which I think that will have precedence, if any have enough grunt.
Ivan and jasper have called dibs on the graphics card in the dark grey
dennis. But then we might have another decent spare depending on what
it is in the silver machine.

Will

Will Pearson

Dec 11, 2011, 3:59:53 PM12/11/11
to London Hackspace
Oh difference has a bad graphics card. So one might go there...
Possibly just move the lovelace machine over there as it seems fairly
stable/workable,

Will

Jasper Wallace

Dec 11, 2011, 4:04:01 PM12/11/11
to London Hackspace
On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, Will Pearson wrote:

> We have at least two GeForce 7800 of various flavours floating about
> the space (these are marginally better than what is in lovelace, but
> it is probably not worth an upgrade).
>
> One is in the light grey dennis (http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
> view/Dennis#Light_Grey) which is a candidate for being an upgrade for
> lovelace. Jasper/Phil do you mind me reinstalling ubuntu in standard
> hackspace style? It doesn't seem to have the same set up as normal
> (can't easily sudo, unless I am missing something).

I think the light grey dennis was setup by an occupylsx person (??? not
sure tho), hence the naming collision, i don't mind what happens to it.

> If we do replace
> lovelace we will have a spare quadro fx (which is of the same era I
> think).
>
> There is also a silver PC currently in bits which I've not tried to
> assemble yet.
>
> Oni has asked for a graphics card for resurrecting the touch table,
> which I think that will have precedence, if any have enough grunt.

yes vote to the precedence for the touch table from me.

> Ivan and jasper have called dibs on the graphics card in the dark grey
> dennis. But then we might have another decent spare depending on what
> it is in the silver machine.

I don't care about this so much.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the machines!

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Mark Steward

Dec 11, 2011, 6:11:57 PM12/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 11, 2011 9:04 PM, "Jasper Wallace" <jas...@pointless.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, Will Pearson wrote:
>
> > We have at least two GeForce 7800 of various flavours floating about
> > the space (these are marginally better than what is in lovelace, but
> > it is probably not worth an upgrade).
> >
> > One is in the light grey dennis  (http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
> > view/Dennis#Light_Grey) which is a candidate for being an upgrade for
> > lovelace. Jasper/Phil do you mind me reinstalling ubuntu in standard
> > hackspace style? It doesn't seem to have the same set up as normal
> > (can't easily sudo, unless I am missing something).
>
> I think the light grey dennis was setup by an occupylsx person (??? not
> sure tho), hence the naming collision, i don't mind what happens to it.

Was this Abs? I think you'll find it has another name when you log on.

> > If we do replace
> > lovelace we will have a spare quadro fx (which is of the same era I
> > think).
> >
> > There is also a silver PC currently in bits which I've not tried to
> > assemble yet.
> >
> > Oni has asked for a graphics card for resurrecting the touch table,
> > which I think that will have precedence, if any have enough grunt.
>
> yes vote to the precedence for the touch table from me.
>
> > Ivan and jasper have called dibs on the graphics card in the dark grey
> > dennis. But then we might have another decent spare depending on what
> > it is in the silver machine.
>
> I don't care about this so much.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at the machines!

This, definitely!

Benjamin Blundell

Dec 12, 2011, 9:24:59 AM12/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Im certainly game for setting up the table again. Once a machine is
available, if you could let me know or leave it next to the table,
I'll start a rebuild. This means I can put the laptop out for general
use (currently, marconi is inside the table)

(>) SECTION9 * Benjamin Blundell * Digital Creative * London & Manchester
(>) o...@section9.co.uk * www.section9.co.uk
(>) www.twitter.com/secti0n9 * www.flickr.com/photos/section9