Hackspace Motorbike Gang - The Technical Chapter!!!

Calum Millbank

Jun 23, 2016, 1:48:13 PM6/23/16
to London Hackspace

Anyone interested in motorbikes, drug running, sweet rides and general shenanigans....?!

This would just be another interest group like crochet or aurduino haxxing - I don't recommend meeting up at the space with bikes 1) because its loud and shiz and 2) riding around central london here is rubbish...

But I do recommend maybe bi-monthly or monthly meets and regular weekend rides and stuff, plus support for any mechanical repairs/modifications...

Anyone down for this or am I barkin up the wrong tree...?

Calum

Henry Sands

Jun 23, 2016, 1:53:58 PM6/23/16
to London Hackspace
I enjoy bikes verily! I have an SV650 and doing the odd ride to southend would be a lot of fun.

Chris Wilkie

Jun 23, 2016, 6:17:11 PM6/23/16
to London Hackspace
Interested, although I live out in Buckinghamshire (near Aylesbury) so it rather depends where the proposed ride out(s) start/end as to whether it would work for me.

I've got a Yamaha MT-09 and a Kawasaki Vulcan so something to suit most types of riding.

Chris

Matthew Haynes

Jun 23, 2016, 9:22:09 PM6/23/16
to London Hackspace
Hey,

Sounds good, I have a Yamaha XJ6n which doesn't really get to fill it's potential on London commutes :)

Be interested in some rides and also a few pointers with maintenance from the more mechanically competent!

Matt

Henry Sands

Jun 24, 2016, 2:57:42 AM6/24/16
to London Hackspace
It's going to be pissy and horrible on saturday, anyone want to meet up on sunday at the hackspace and have a chat?

I could also do with some electrical fault finding, my rear left indicator isn't working and it's not the bulb.

Martin (Crypt)

Jun 24, 2016, 3:42:33 AM6/24/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll probably come join you too.  I'll probably be around on sunday, what time you thinking?

Aden

Jun 24, 2016, 4:18:33 AM6/24/16
to london-hack-space
Which side is it going to be on, Hell's Angels or Outlaws?

Henry Sands

Jun 24, 2016, 4:51:29 AM6/24/16
to London Hackspace
Well I'm really 50/50 on the issue, I can understand the economic problems but I believe we really are stronger in a united Hell's Angels.

Billy

Jun 24, 2016, 6:11:37 AM6/24/16
to London Hackspace

Or the Road Rats... :P

Nick Reynolds

Jun 24, 2016, 6:15:13 AM6/24/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm a lapsed motorcyclist with a couple of nice bikes sitting needing
some TLC before they get used again. It's a shame the space has a bit
of a downer on vehicle projects (I guess they are dirty and nasty)
otherwise I'd think about using it to work on my old KTM project.
Which needs some frame mods if it ever is to go back together again.
--
Nick Reynolds - 950SM|620SC
In the land beyond cleaning where the Dust Donkeys dwell

Henry Sands

Jun 24, 2016, 7:30:24 AM6/24/16
to London Hackspace
I'm semi-against mailing lists for such small groups, does anyone want to make a facebook group or something?

Calum Millbank

Jun 24, 2016, 8:27:54 AM6/24/16
to London Hackspace
Well Henry, let it ride for another day or two, seems like we've got a bit of a buzz around this. It might get big enough to warrant a sub-group, maybe it won't...

More importantly the technical value  of this group could be very valid to Hackspace. (electrical fault finding can be a pain in the ass depending on bike make - I'm looking at YOU, KTM!!!).

I ride a bandit 600 which I've got some mods etc that I'd like to do over the summer, but I'm fairly flexible - maybe if we did decide to do any work on bikes etc... we could sort out some sort of rota so that there aren't too many bikes/frames spread everywhere?

R.E. rideouts, Sunday sounds good for a chat!

Also - we should be members of the Nomads - since we're a stateless bunch now...!

James Tregaskis

Jun 25, 2016, 9:18:36 AM6/25/16
to London Hackspace
  Yes I'm interested , I have a 1983 R80rt and a GS fettling and riding is my thing. Happy to meet although not around for a couple of weeks...
James

Calum Millbank

Jun 25, 2016, 6:38:04 PM6/25/16
to London Hackspace
I'll be about tomorrow (Sunday) - fixing up my tatty bandit....

Martin (Crypt)

Jun 26, 2016, 6:48:31 AM6/26/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sorry can't make it to the space today.  Will join you for the next meetup though.  Let me know what you decided

On 25 Jun 2016 23:38, "'Calum Millbank' via London Hackspace" <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'll be about tomorrow (Sunday) - fixing up my tatty bandit....

Calum Millbank

Jun 26, 2016, 11:54:18 AM6/26/16
to London Hackspace
Hey Martin, long time no see

A couple of us met up today, and I fixed a leaky oil filter - so twas alright.

I can see Henry's point about sub groups and messages and that, I don't have Facebook but I guess it'd be better to sort a group out there to post rides and stuff.

I'll try and sort that this evening and put the link on here.

I think we thought a ride to Southend would be good. Spend a day eating gritty cockles and playing the penny slots on the pier -
We might break into two groups: 150cc and under and and bigger bikes, if there's a big enough demand that is....

Calum

Ryan

Jun 26, 2016, 3:17:35 PM6/26/16
to London Hackspace
Ryan from Reading hackspace here!

cleaning my carbs in our fume cabinet right now and totally up for this!!!

Patrick Dent

Jun 26, 2016, 6:35:21 PM6/26/16
to London Hackspace
I'd love to join in with my Honda NT650V Deauville, but it needs serious work doing.
As several prominent members have assessed it, it needs new discs, pads, exhaust seals, fork seals, possibly tyres, probably oil and sparks too.

That's gonna be fun to get done on my nonexistent budget but I live in hope.

Nick Reynolds

Jun 27, 2016, 5:44:01 AM6/27/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A lot of that stuff can be had _fairly_ cheaply unless you really mean
zero, rather than low budget. I used to use Wemoto for cheap pattern
parts on old bikes. Disks will be painful, but they may be that same
as other models and I've had good luck buying secondhand disks. Were
it an old Yamaha I might even have had some stuff I could donate, I've
drawers full of parts from my bike modding supermoto building days.

What's wrong with the electrics?

Nick Reynolds

Jun 27, 2016, 5:46:36 AM6/27/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh and on another note, I've been thinking of 3D printing a bracket
needed to mount a brake caliper on an old motard chassis then using
that as a template to machine from. How realistic is that? Milling
brackets was something I had an old-school engineer do but that was a
decade ago and he's almost certainly not working any more.

Tim Reynolds

Jun 27, 2016, 6:24:17 AM6/27/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What would you want them milled out of? We've got the gantry CnC
downstairs now that I hear can do metal. Not sure if it can do anything
hard enough to be suitable though.

timour chomilier

Jun 27, 2016, 6:34:12 AM6/27/16
to London Hackspace
it can do alluminium very slowly

Nick Reynolds

Jun 27, 2016, 6:34:36 AM6/27/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My old bracket is made of dural. I'm unlikely to be able to meet the
training requirements of the CNC mill any time soon, hence my thinking
to prototype it with my 3D printer then copy it by hand.

I went to 320mm when I did the conversion and I'm now thinking the
original 300mm disk was a better fit for the bike and caliper.
Although I may then have spoke clearance issues.

Nick Reynolds

Jun 27, 2016, 6:36:02 AM6/27/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's just I kind of hanker after resurrecting an old bike project
instead of messing about with microcontrollers which has been my thing
for the last couple of years.
Message has been deleted

Calum Millbank

Jun 27, 2016, 7:48:39 AM6/27/16
to London Hackspace
Do it!!

Im sure that there will be enough support, technically and morally to get through a real resurrection project...

I'm planning a couple bike builds/conversions for the next year and it'd be great to see if the space can handle it..

Benjamin Blundell

Jun 28, 2016, 6:08:01 AM6/28/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good! I had a motorbike a while back and I'm considering another at some point. I've been thinking about a design for a patch for quite some time now.

Michael Wheeler

Jun 30, 2016, 10:03:43 AM6/30/16
to London Hackspace
very interested in this, but sadly I don't have a bike here :( but definitely keen to talk bikes/look at bikes/help others with their projects

Nick Reynolds

Jul 1, 2016, 4:52:20 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I got grumped at for responding to a storage request so I'll post
again in here...

I have a motorcycle[1] frame and an engine[2] that _almost_ fits it.
I'd be really interested in making the modifications to one of the
downtubes that are necessary. Are there people at the space who'd be
up for helping?

Doing modifications to motorcycle frames involving cutting and welding
a frame downtube without compromising it is well out of my area of
expertise.

[1] 1994 KTM 620SC
[2] 1998 KTM 620SC

Calum Millbank

Jul 1, 2016, 5:06:54 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace
Whoop whoop! Yes I'm down, I can mig and tig weld - and I like the cutting up of metals too...

I have "experience" with KTMs - I've destroyed three of them....not sure if that's what you way but...I am familiar with that particular beasty...

Is that what we're talking about? Fitting up a Ktm ??

Calum Millbank

Jul 1, 2016, 5:06:54 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

Nick Reynolds

Jul 1, 2016, 5:42:39 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I had a 1994 LC4 620SC Supermoto I raced badly with NORA and blew
the engine up. I acquired a 1998 620SC and raced that badly too but
had the crap tuned out of it.

I also acquired a spare 1998 engine and have a LOT of spare engine
parts but the addition of a balancer shaft means the engine doesn't
quite fit in the 1994 frame despite all the mounting points being the
same. It clouts the left hand engine cradle tube. I'm not sure how
much needs removing, it may only need a little cutout.

I think I've still got all the chassis parts to make a second bike,
although I don't think I'd make another Supermoto. I fancy something
lower and more flat track style.

If I were to get the 1994 frame to fit a 1998 engine I might stick the
tuned one in it. It's a monster. I only went to 637cc rather than
660/690 but it had head work, FCR41 etc. and span up stupidly quickly
for an old thumper because I didn't lengthen the stroke too much.

On 1 July 2016 at 10:06, 'Calum Millbank' via London Hackspace

Nick Reynolds

Jul 22, 2016, 10:40:00 AM7/22/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well I got my bike back on the road and may pop down to the space on
it occasionally.

I'm still thinking of that KTM project and have spent an awful lot of
time looking at the sort of project bikes people are building
nowadays. OTT mega-bucks cafe-racer builds of old CB250s/CX500s seem
to be the thing.

I couldn't compete with that, but I am tempted to build something that
isn't a conventional trailie/motard. Having started as a proper
off-road bike it's kind of minimalist to begin with.

Des Quilty

Jul 22, 2016, 11:09:16 AM7/22/16
to London Hackspace
Might be worth bearing in mind that after 2020 it'll be an expensive ride into Central London.

My 1993 VFR and 2003 Benelli Adiva will both probably have to be sold to non-Londoners..

Sob sob!!

Des Quilty

Jul 22, 2016, 11:09:25 AM7/22/16
to London Hackspace

Nick Reynolds

Jul 22, 2016, 11:19:29 AM7/22/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've been kind of ignoring this as I've not been commuting the last
few years. My 950 _might_ have come out of the factory as Euro3, I'll
have to check. It's not Euro3 any more as I've arsed about with it,
but until MOTs start to check that, whatever.

My LC4 has an FCR41 and the accelerator pump squirts a jet of fuel
straight down the inlet tract whenever you crack open the throttle.
It's a moving cacophanal environmental disaster.

If I'm commuting come 2020 I'll have to do something about it.

Scooby

Aug 1, 2016, 6:42:10 AM8/1/16
to London Hackspace
Hi Calum sounds like a super great idea, ill be so up for it and i have a loud Harley Davidson. When you next down the space and when do you plan to kick start this? before we loose the good weather.

Patrick Dent

Aug 1, 2016, 6:45:32 AM8/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm going to be off the road for at least a few weeks as I discovered that my MOT has lapsed and, looking at the stitching showing through my rear tyre, it would most likely fail it. So, going on holiday next week then coming home and buying replacement parts for everything that's broken. :(

Calum Millbank

Aug 1, 2016, 7:26:58 AM8/1/16
to London Hackspace
Forgot to mention this useful bit of info....if you need an MOT, but your bikes a bit rough round the edges, PM me and I'll send the details of a place in North London (Zone 2) that will treat you well (as long as it's not dangerous). They do the bare bones MOT, no going out of there way to fail you so they get some work....

Calum

Patrick Dent

Aug 1, 2016, 7:46:45 AM8/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the heads up, but upon close inspection, my tyres actually are rather dangerous. Also, brake pads probably mostly down to the metal so need a whole new set of those too. Exhaust needs cleaning and sealing as well as the fork seals and most likely air filter, oil filter and sparks.

On 1 Aug 2016 12:27, "'Calum Millbank' via London Hackspace" <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Forgot to mention this useful bit of info....if you need an MOT, but your bikes a bit rough round the edges, PM me and I'll send the details of a place in North London (Zone 2) that will treat you well (as long as it's not dangerous). They do the bare bones MOT, no going out of there way to fail you so they get some work....

Calum

Scooby

Aug 1, 2016, 10:01:29 AM8/1/16
to London Hackspace
Hi Calum, how do i PM you?

Dave Mansfield

Aug 1, 2016, 10:15:43 AM8/1/16
to London Hackspace
PM is short for "Private Message".

In this case it means "Send an email to me, not to the whole Google Group".

Scooby

Aug 2, 2016, 12:03:24 PM8/2/16
to London Hackspace
Hello again Calum how do i send you a PM (Private/Personal Message)?