Re: [london-hack-space] FS (or FTAG if you're nice) 3x 12-bay FreeNAS (or similar) Storage servers

Message has been deleted

Adam Paigge

Jun 16, 2018, 1:27:06 AM6/16/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This is dope, we'd like it in exchange for help.

Adam

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 18:31 kraptv, <skylab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,
I've got three Xyratex HS-1235T Storage Servers that need to be moved out or recycled.  Motherboard is an OEM variant of the Kontron KTC5520. Motherboard Data sheet linked on wiki below.

Currently have Intel Xeon Quad Core E5620 2.40GHz chips but can be upgraded to Dual Hex-Core pretty cheaply using chips off of eBay. You can also consolidate processors/heatsinks to one system easily.

Motherboard has 12 memory slots and can take up to 192GB of memory. Populate it with cheaper lower density DIMMs and you're none the wiser.

To use the hard drive bays, they require a 30 quid LSI SAS2008-based JBOD card off of eBay to connect to the drive backplane but work perfectly for FreeNAS or Debian or ChooglePro 2018 SP9.

You could either take the chassis with redundant power supplies and stick in your own faster motherboard and have a very modern 6Gbps storage server, rip out the mobo and stick in your own weird tower and have fun with that, or just play with the parts.  The disk shelves are easily acquired - either 3D print your own, or grab some cheap used ones for IBM XIV, NetApp DS4243, Dell Compellent, etc.

I've not got much memory for them, but I can give you what extra I have to enable minimal tinking-and-booting if you need.

Preferably you'd take all three and recycle the remaining bits. The third one may be missing a few extra parts as it may be a donor of 'standby spares' for the Hackspace servers.

Items are located in Richmond TW10. I can meet you at the Richmond station (Underground, Overground National Rail stop here) if you and a friend can carry 'em home!

And yes, I am building twin-servers for the London Hackspace on this platform, so you can possibly use my handy-work on the wiki as a reference when building your own NAS/VM/Container system: https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/Landin

Cost? Donate some time to London Hackspace doing some refurbishment of the new space and/or simply £20 for the lot.

Please reply DIRECTLY and not a public message on the list! Thanks!