Farnell power supply

Adrian Godwin

Jan 28, 2018, 3:41:39 AM1/28/18
to london-hack-space
The big farnell power supply I donated has broken down.

In the interests of trying to clear the space, I've taken it away to repair. It may take me some time as I'm busy at the moment, but eventually I'll return it, provided the mailing list agrees.

-adrian

Liam Lynch

Jan 28, 2018, 5:35:43 AM1/28/18
to London Hackspace
As is originally your donation, and it is broken. Then I for one can see no objection.

Liam

Adrian Godwin

Jan 28, 2018, 5:43:21 AM1/28/18
to london-hack-space
Wasn't really expecting objections : I'm just repairing some equipment :) But I thought I'd let people know where it's gone and why.

Lucia N

Jan 28, 2018, 6:21:44 PM1/28/18
to London Hackspace
Is that the big 70v power supply in the corner of the electronics bench? If so, the output seems OK, it is the voltage and current meters that are not working and remain at zero. I have been using it by measuring the output voltage with a multimeter.

I don't mind if you take it away to repair it. :-)

Adrian Godwin

Jan 28, 2018, 6:53:13 PM1/28/18
to london-hack-space
That's the one. The meters did fail first but then I couldn't get anything.

Adrian Godwin

Jan 28, 2018, 6:55:27 PM1/28/18
to london-hack-space
Do you tend to use it on the higher range ? I have another one, it's half the size but has only the 30V/10A range and no meters.

Lucia N

Jan 29, 2018, 6:08:56 AM1/29/18
to London Hackspace
I only use the lower range, so 30V/10A would be fine. Is it digital? I try to avoid the digital power supplies because they don't work well with some of my projects (flyback transformer driver and induction coils).

Thank you for repairing Hackspace equipment. :-)

Adrian Godwin

Jan 29, 2018, 7:05:21 AM1/29/18
to london-hack-space
No, it's unashamedly analog (Farnell B30/10) and of the same generation as the other one.
You might find the switchers (Server supplies giving 100A / 12V in a small space are pretty handy) behave better on horrible loads if you add a big capacitor to the output.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:08 AM, 'Lucia N' via London Hackspace <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I only use the lower range, so 30V/10A would be fine. Is it digital? I try to avoid the digital power supplies because they don't work well with some of my projects (flyback transformer driver and induction coils).

Thank you for repairing Hackspace equipment. :-)

Adrian Godwin

Feb 18, 2018, 6:12:52 AM2/18/18
to london-hack-space
Lucia (or anyone else who's used it) - do you remember it ever getting exceptionally hot ?

The reason the meters stopped working is that the black trim on the front has warped. It might be just age or it might be heat. The rest of the meter plastic is fine so it probably didn't get red hot, but maybe ran well above room temperature for a while - left on but shorted ?

I might fit a high temperature cutout.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
No, it's unashamedly analog (Farnell B30/10) and of the same generation as the other one.
You might find the switchers (Server supplies giving 100A / 12V in a small space are pretty handy) behave better on horrible loads if you add a big capacitor to the output.

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Feb 18, 2018, 7:02:32 AM2/18/18
to London Hackspace
The SMT oven used to live on top of it. Might that be the source of the heat?

Phil

Ioannes 8:32
> wrote:
>
>> I only use the lower range, so 30V/10A would be fine. Is it digital? I
>> try to avoid the digital power supplies because they don't work well with
>> some of my projects (flyback transformer driver and induction coils).
>>
>> Thank you for repairing Hackspace equipment. :-)

Adrian Godwin

Feb 18, 2018, 7:55:16 AM2/18/18
to london-hack-space
I wondered about that, but unless it's got a slot at the bottom that radiates downward at just the right angle to sine into the meter, it's unlikely.

Easy fix, anyway. I was thinking about cutting some black acrylic to fit, but then realised that the way they're mounted in the panel means the trim can't even be seen :)

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM, 'cepm...@yahoo.co.uk' via London Hackspace <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The SMT oven used to live on top of it. Might that be the source of the heat?

Phil

Ioannes 8:32

Lucia (or anyone else who's used it) - do you remember it ever getting
exceptionally hot ?

The reason the meters stopped working is that the black trim on the front
has warped. It might be just age or it might be heat. The rest of the meter
plastic is fine so it probably didn't get red hot, but maybe ran well above
room temperature for a while - left on but shorted ?

I might fit a high temperature cutout.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> No, it's unashamedly analog (Farnell B30/10) and of the same generation as
> the other one.
> You might find the switchers (Server supplies giving 100A / 12V in a small
> space are pretty handy) behave better on horrible loads if you add a big
> capacitor to the output.
>

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:08 AM, 'Lucia N' via London Hackspace <
> london-hack-space@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> I only use the lower range, so 30V/10A would be fine. Is it digital? I
>> try to avoid the digital power supplies because they don't work well with
>> some of my projects (flyback transformer driver and induction coils).
>>
>> Thank you for repairing Hackspace equipment. :-)

Lucia N

Feb 18, 2018, 7:55:26 AM2/18/18
to London Hackspace
I didn't notice that it was getting too hot when I was using it. The projects I was using it for were drawing about 2A at 6-12v.

It may have been left shorted though (not by me). The last time I used it, when I turned it on there were sparks, and this was because someone had left the clip leads both clipped to the metal case. Sometimes I have found it like that before and noticed before turning it on, so it must be a common problem. The handles at the corners are convenient places to clip the leads when not in use, for those who have forgotten that metal conducts electricity.