Cleaning up monitors & members boxes

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 5, 2016, 1:12:21 PM12/5/16
to London Hackspace
This is just a heads up. At some point in the near future, me and Andy
will probably be doing another sweep of the members boxes since it
filled up pretty fast.

I also intend to go through the shelves of spare monitors, laptops and
projectors to see what ones work and run it down to just the best ones.
I'll also be doing the same to the screen tree, prioritising for low
power consumption, but decreasing the total number.

I figure we only need maybe 10 monitors at most for communal use, since
almost everyone uses laptops. I'll make a list of the laptop & projector
specs for later vetting.

Christian Jaeger

Dec 5, 2016, 5:54:31 PM12/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> I figure we only need maybe 10 monitors at most for communal use, since almost everyone uses laptops.

There are various people who like using external monitors, not everybody has a huge or very high resolution screen on his or her laptop. This includes myself.

That said, yes there are lots of monitors that are no good for this purpose. If you go through the trouble of checking the monitors perhaps adding stickers with max resolution and ev. notes on small issues would help a lot for finding the best unused monitors. I'll help you with that when I can (Sunday?).

Ch.

Adrian Godwin

Dec 5, 2016, 6:18:08 PM12/5/16
to london-hack-space
What's the largest number of external monitors anybody has seen in use at one time ?

Ten Yen

Dec 5, 2016, 7:01:42 PM12/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 06:12:15PM +0000, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:
> This is just a heads up. At some point in the near future, me and Andy will
> probably be doing another sweep of the members boxes since it filled up
> pretty fast.

Cool, I'd encourage people to take stuff home as well....

> I also intend to go through the shelves of spare monitors,

Anyone know what the deal is with the SGI Monitor, apparently its not
compatible with the SGI we have, can I post it to:
?

it'd probably make someone very happy...
(wiki says it might have been Aden, loooong game troll? ;)

How about starting of by printing off a "The monitor purge is coming, if
your looking at this label consider: https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Maintenance/Adopt-a-Spanner" label . Adopt it or risk losing it?

it's been a while since I heard anyone say "Well Volunteered", but just
in-case: I'll do both the above after I do my tax return (possibly
february then...) , so monitor-gate ( ;P ) will probably have blown over by
then...

werd,

--
http://tenyen.net/

Tim Reynolds

Dec 5, 2016, 7:16:50 PM12/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What SGI system do you mean when you say it isn't compatible? There was
a thread about Jontys O2 last week and apparently its the monitor for that.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 5, 2016, 9:14:51 PM12/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be in Wednesday to inspect the new pump that's arriving, so
was going to see about starting it then.

I'll be looking for any outright faults, then prioritising based on
resolution & condition. I believe we mostly have VGA, so DVI or other
improvements on that will get bonus priority. Monitors that require
external power adaptors will get decreased priority, due to added
storage complexity.

I'll sticky-note specs on each as I go.

I'll also bring a power meter to prioritise low-power screens for the
pruned screen-tree. I'll be paring that down to whatever number of
screens can go on a single one of the power-strips already there.

At worst, it should only take 3-4 hours.

Disposing of the surplus is another matter. I'm half inclined to put
them in the front porch with a "free monitors" sign. Putting them into
the 3wk system would flood it and inevitably mean them going back onto
the shelves.

Aden

Dec 6, 2016, 2:04:27 AM12/6/16
to london-hack-space
The SGI O2 was missing the flat panel monitor adapter, which is required to connect it to the SGI 1600SW monitor. Maybe you could source one.

Adrian Godwin

Dec 6, 2016, 2:20:21 AM12/6/16
to london-hack-space
Looks like the 1600SW uses an LVDS interface similar to a laptop display and the O2 has VGA out. So an adapter board might be found in a VGA monitor (if it has LVDS to the display panel).

Lex Robinson

Dec 6, 2016, 2:55:04 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Back when I regularly came in to work on Saturdays I occasionally was unable to find a suitable monitor because anything with a resolution above 800x600 was plugged into someone's laptop.
Anecdotal I know, but the monitors do get a lot of use during coworking hours.

Lex Robinson

Dec 6, 2016, 3:00:22 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
(second email because phones don't do multiqotes)
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, 02:14 Peter "Sci" Turpin, <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
I believe we mostly have VGA, so DVI or other
improvements on that will get bonus priority.
Bear in mind that most laptops only have VGA, DisplayPort or HDMI on them. The number of people that bring desktops into the space is extremely limited and they nearly always have VGA or HDMI too.
True on the other hand many people will have miniDisplayPort adapters of some kind, but VGA isn't useless, especially with older hardware.

Nigel Worsley

Dec 6, 2016, 9:12:33 AM12/6/16
to london-hack-space
On 6 December 2016 at 07:20, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like the 1600SW uses an LVDS interface similar to a laptop display and
> the O2 has VGA out.

The O2 has a VGA style connector, but isn't fully VGA compatible. VGA
uses separate pins for horizontal and vertical sync, the O2 only has
sync on the green output. This is supported by some VGA monitors, but
not many.

Nigle

Christian Jaeger

Dec 6, 2016, 9:19:01 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> What's the largest number of external monitors anybody has seen in use at
> one time ?

At busy times there may be 3 or sometimes even 4 monitors in use in
the quiet room (where I am usually), probably about the same number in
the class room, and I've also seen like 3 monitors in use at the same
time in the main room, although I've never counted the total across
all 3 locations at the same time. Probably the total wasn't ever 10 at
the same time since I don't think there are 10 monitors worth using on
a laptop. That could also mean that the limit on the total number used
at the same time may not be interest, but availability. My experience
is that searching on the shelves is frustrating and usually not worth
it, chances are the good monitors are taken already and it's a pain to
try 5 others only to find none that's better than the laptop screen
(this is where labels would be useful: having a look at a label on the
monitor would be way faster than lugging it around). (The heaviest
monitor users may know each monitor by heart already though. But
that's not friendly to new or medium heavy users.)

My points are:

- there is a limited set of good monitors that are heavily used
- there are more monitors that work but are worse than laptop screens,
but they might be used by PC users sometimes (or Raspberry Pi with
adapter?), or perhaps there are group events sometimes who could use
them? I've never seen such groups though.
- it would be useful to see quickly (label with resolution + defects)
which group a monitor belongs to.

Christian.

Jasper Wallace

Dec 6, 2016, 10:26:30 AM12/6/16
to Lex Robinson, london-h...@googlegroups.com
We also have some machines that are VGA only kicking about.

Also DVI <-> HDMI adaptors and cables are cheap (they are electicaly
compatible).

> --

[http://pointless.net/] [0x416333590FC0E569]

Jasper Wallace

Dec 6, 2016, 10:28:56 AM12/6/16
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:

> I'll also bring a power meter to prioritise low-power screens for the pruned
> screen-tree. I'll be paring that down to whatever number of screens can go on
> a single one of the power-strips already there.

I think they are all powered by the vertical strip thats already in place.

In anycase please don't remove than 2 or so at the bottom (They are too
low down to see eaisly and get in the way of people on the desks).

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x416333590FC0E569]

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 6, 2016, 11:12:02 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think there's 10 sockets on each strip and there's 22 screens on the
tree at the moment. Halving the number of potentially live screens seems
like a good amount to get it down to what might actually be used.

Also if it's going to be largely Pi-powered on rebuild, it needs mostly
DVI screens. If memory serves, you can't readily convert a DVI signal to
VGA without powered adaptors.

Christian Jaeger

Dec 6, 2016, 11:17:15 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I'm going to be in Wednesday to inspect the new pump that's arriving, so
> was going to see about starting it then.

I might be around tomorrow evening (after 7 PM or so), will come over
if I see you.

> I'll be looking for any outright faults, then prioritising based on
> resolution & condition. I believe we mostly have VGA, so DVI or other
> improvements on that will get bonus priority. Monitors that require
> external power adaptors will get decreased priority, due to added
> storage complexity.

Makes sense. Perhaps use a point system like: each 100 horizontal
pixels yields a point, VGA/HDMI/DVI each yielding a point, and each
issue subtracts 1..5 points depending on severity (3 for a minor issue
like somewhat off colors or a smallish spot in the picture missing).
For example:

800x..., VGA, no issues: 9 points
1280x..., VGA, spot missing: 10 points
1920x..., VGA+DVI, no issues: 21 points

> I'll sticky-note specs on each as I go.

I suggest to use real (more permanent) labels directly unless you've
got a reason not to?

Christian.

Jasper Wallace

Dec 6, 2016, 12:28:56 PM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:

> On 06/12/2016 15:28, Jasper Wallace wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:
> >

> > > I'll also bring a power meter to prioritise low-power screens for the
> > > pruned
> > > screen-tree. I'll be paring that down to whatever number of screens can go
> > > on
> > > a single one of the power-strips already there.
> > >

> > I think they are all powered by the vertical strip thats already in place.
> >
> > In anycase please don't remove than 2 or so at the bottom (They are too
> > low down to see eaisly and get in the way of people on the desks).
> >

> I think there's 10 sockets on each strip and there's 22 screens on the tree at
> the moment. Halving the number of potentially live screens seems like a good
> amount to get it down to what might actually be used.

I've got 15 raspberry pi's that work, and another 15 that moght be fixable

We can add more sockets if needed, please don't strip the tree!

Don't forget that I've got those mains relays units. We can have 1 screen
+ pi thats on permantly, ~ 5 on during the day and all on in the evenings
and weekends (or maybe only go for the max during the open evenings).

Power consumption will be minimised, there is no point having them all on
during the night.

> Also if it's going to be largely Pi-powered on rebuild, it needs mostly DVI
> screens. If memory serves, you can't readily convert a DVI signal to VGA
> without powered adaptors.

Yes, and I have some of those pwoered HDMI to VGA adaptors.

(and we had more in the screen tree bits box but they got nicked, grrr).

P.S. Please don't strip the tree!

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x416333590FC0E569]

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 6, 2016, 12:36:12 PM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Makes sense. Perhaps use a point system like: each 100 horizontal
> pixels yields a point, VGA/HDMI/DVI each yielding a point, and each
> issue subtracts 1..5 points depending on severity (3 for a minor issue
> like somewhat off colors or a smallish spot in the picture missing).
> For example:
>
> 800x..., VGA, no issues: 9 points
> 1280x..., VGA, spot missing: 10 points
> 1920x..., VGA+DVI, no issues: 21 points

A bit over complex for the number dealing with, but I'll take it under
advisement.

>> I'll sticky-note specs on each as I go.
>
> I suggest to use real (more permanent) labels directly unless you've
> got a reason not to?

Just that I have to work out what I've done with my sheets of sticker paper.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 6, 2016, 12:37:53 PM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
>> I think there's 10 sockets on each strip and there's 22 screens on the tree at
>> the moment. Halving the number of potentially live screens seems like a good
>> amount to get it down to what might actually be used.
>
> I've got 15 raspberry pi's that work, and another 15 that moght be fixable
>
> We can add more sockets if needed, please don't strip the tree!
>
> Don't forget that I've got those mains relays units. We can have 1 screen
> + pi thats on permantly, ~ 5 on during the day and all on in the evenings
> and weekends (or maybe only go for the max during the open evenings).
>
> Power consumption will be minimised, there is no point having them all on
> during the night.
>
>> Also if it's going to be largely Pi-powered on rebuild, it needs mostly DVI
>> screens. If memory serves, you can't readily convert a DVI signal to VGA
>> without powered adaptors.
>
> Yes, and I have some of those pwoered HDMI to VGA adaptors.
>
> (and we had more in the screen tree bits box but they got nicked, grrr).
>

> P.S. Please don't strip the tree!

Okay, I didn't realise that many Pi's were going to be available. I'll
just prioritise on power consumption where feasible and trim the bottom
rows.

David

Dec 6, 2016, 3:23:10 PM12/6/16
On 06/12/2016 00:45, Aden wrote:
> The SGI O2 was missing the flat panel monitor adapter, which is required
> to connect it to the SGI 1600SW monitor. Maybe you could source one.

My O2 has the adapter but no panel or cable. I'm pretty sure the O2 will boot without it, do you want it?

If not I might be interested in the panel if it gets NOD'd.

David.

Aden

Dec 6, 2016, 7:28:32 PM12/6/16
to london-hack-space
That would be awesome, maybe we could set it up as a public terminal. It was me that donated the 1600SW, so if we do decide to NoD it you are welcome to it (I've still got your microvax)

David

Dec 6, 2016, 8:16:12 PM12/6/16
On 07/12/2016 00:16, Aden wrote:
> That would be awesome, maybe we could set it up as a public terminal. It
> was me that donated the 1600SW, so if we do decide to NoD it you are
> welcome to it (I've still got your microvax)

OK, great. I'll dig it up and PM you.

David.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 7, 2016, 8:51:44 PM12/7/16
to London Hackspace
95% of the monitors have been checked. The 6 highest resolution ones are
back on the shelves, plus one multi-input TV. Missed a couple hiding in
the quiet room & classroom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq21dphuetkmesr/2016-12-07%2023.46.44.jpg?dl=0

They've all got the correct cables plugged in and wrapped around them so
there's no searching for matches. Hopefully this means we'll be able to
greatly decrease the amount of cables we're holding onto (which were
already on that table when I got there).

I misjudged how long this will take. The rest of the screens (lower res
and/or without stands) are under the screen tree for now so I can finish
doing the sort & compare in the next couple of days.

The three big TVs next to the shelves were all dead. A number of other
monitors are also dead. They're all in the big rubbish pile by the
shutter. PLEASE do not reintroduce them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfzw8fmzabxyl8z/2016-12-07%2023.46.53.jpg?dl=0

JJ

Dec 8, 2016, 4:16:12 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
Great work!  Having cables attached is a good idea for the reason you give, as long as no-one tries to make them stay by tightening the plugs with a big screwdriver so when someone does need to swap one the nuts unscrew from the sockets.  Cable-tying them to the monitor in some way is best, and to keep the free ends tidy when not in use I have a source of velcro straps if we don't have any.  I've still got a small stock of VGA and DVI cables (and just maybe one or two HDMI) plus any number of IEC so if any are needed shout here and I'll bring some in.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 10, 2016, 12:30:47 PM12/10/16
to London Hackspace
I'm not likely to be able to get in this weekend afterall. I will try to
finish this during the week.

Secondly, since we have some sturdier shelves in the classroom now, I'm
thinking we should move the communal electronics to there. It would free
the area by the shutters up for centralising project storage on the
ground floor (and decreasing the number of storage-request items that
don't get checked up on by virtue of being hard to locate).