[lasercutter] Important info - back up

Charles Yarnold

Dec 8, 2016, 9:35:25 AM12/8/16
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hello all,

Glad to say the cutter is back up and running.

But, in addition we have decided to place a temporary hold on any use if leather in the lasercutter due to the amount of dirt this produces. This may change when we have new optics, but for the moment it will be placed on the banned materials list.

Pew pew pew

Sol

Harry Streuli

Dec 8, 2016, 10:22:34 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
Fab,

Thanks for your efforts in repairing the machine.

Alex Downey

Dec 8, 2016, 10:23:26 AM12/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great news thanks for getting it back up and runnin! Now the tube is replaced does that mean the cutting speed will have increased? I remember at one point for 3mm ply I had to take the speed right down to 40/45... Will that still be the case or will the speed be more up tot the guideline speed/power list of materials?  Cheers, Alex

Henry Sands

Dec 8, 2016, 10:36:24 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
You really shouldn't have been lowering speeds without telling us. If you ever have to use a speed slower than what is mentioned on the wiki, something is wrong and you need to stop using it.

Kind regards,
Henry.

Alex McConnachie

Dec 8, 2016, 11:23:40 AM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
Speaking of which, will the wiki need updating for the new tube and thus higher power?

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 8, 2016, 11:48:37 AM12/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It may be useful to specify some boundaries on that then. Ply for
instance can cut through fine in one place on recommended settings, but
not even penetrate on a different area of the same sheet.

When does compensating for the organic nature of the material become an
issue? 10% speed speed change? 20?

Russ Garrett

Dec 8, 2016, 12:10:00 PM12/8/16
to London Hack Space
On 8 December 2016 at 16:23, Alex McConnachie <mcconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking of which, will the wiki need updating for the new tube and thus
> higher power?

Power fluctuations are compensated for by tweaking the maximum power
in the machine configuration. The numbers you use should remain the
same.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Dec 8, 2016, 12:12:56 PM12/8/16
to London Hack Space
On 8 December 2016 at 17:09, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> Power fluctuations are compensated for by tweaking the maximum power
> in the machine configuration. The numbers you use should remain the
> same.

Although, having said this, I'm not sure we had to do this at all for
the old tube. The power output of the tube tends to be flat up to a
certain time, when it starts tailing off.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Dec 8, 2016, 1:06:11 PM12/8/16
to Hackspace Mailing List
If the correct settings aren't working for your material it isn't good enough quality material and shouldn't be used.

Billy

Dec 8, 2016, 1:15:05 PM12/8/16
to London Hackspace

Cheap laser-plywood can have inconsistent densities, so even though it's been steam-pressed to the same thickness overall, some parts will cut more easily than others.

Charles Yarnold

Dec 8, 2016, 1:23:40 PM12/8/16
to Hackspace Mailing List
Yes, that's not sufficient quality.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 8, 2016, 1:38:18 PM12/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Are there quality ratings for material we should be following? Because I
recall the current settings being derived from 9mm ply tests where some
failed to cut through but other tests did like butter, from different
areas in the same sheets.

On 08/12/2016 18:23, Charles Yarnold wrote:
> Yes, that's not sufficient quality.
>
> On 8 Dec 2016 18:15, "Billy" <bi...@billycomputersmith.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --

Henry Sands

Dec 8, 2016, 1:53:05 PM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
This could have been a bed height issue IMO.

Generally the power settings are such that it should cut through the material with "enough spare" to cope with deviations.

Henry.

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:38:18 UTC, Sci wrote:
Are there quality ratings for material we should be following? Because I
recall the current settings being derived from 9mm ply tests where some
failed to cut through but other tests did like butter, from different
areas in the same sheets.

On 08/12/2016 18:23, Charles Yarnold wrote:
> Yes, that's not sufficient quality.
>
> On 8 Dec 2016 18:15, "Billy" <bi...@billycomputersmith.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Patrick Dent

Dec 8, 2016, 6:25:30 PM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
I have been advised that a member known for their preference of engraving leather and cutting fabrics is currently using the laser.
I'm not present so don't know if they are using any tonight, but is anybody able to inform them directly about the leather ban?

Alex McConnachie

Dec 8, 2016, 6:35:18 PM12/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
will do...

Alex McConnachie

Dec 8, 2016, 6:43:11 PM12/8/16
to London Hackspace
I'll stick a more official looking notice on it when I'm done scribbling in the classroom :-)

Alex Downey

Dec 9, 2016, 7:30:29 AM12/9/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I Was using laser ply from Kitronik,so it wasnt a quality issue and at the time I was advised by someone there it was towards the end of the tube and losing power. so had to lower the speed in order to get a clean cut.

Patrick Dent

Dec 10, 2016, 10:33:55 AM12/10/16
to London Hackspace
I have again been informed that more leather has been used in the machine for at least an hour and a half despite a notice on the machine (which I haven't seen).
Can somebody PLEASE stop them before they take it out of service again?? I haven't had a chance to use it since it came back online yet!!

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Dec 10, 2016, 11:01:27 AM12/10/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Even when the 9mm ply was first tested it didn't always cut through all
the way. I even made sure to note that on the parameters listing for it.
The birch ply just barely cut through enough to be push-out by hand at
the slowest allowed speed of 10mm/s. 9mm Poplar ply will usually cut
through fine at 20mm/s, but occasionally just won't in some sections of
a sheet.

There are lots of reasons why this could be the case. It could be slight
warping of the material, age & absorption of air moisture, voids,
filler, misadvertised surface/core wood combos, different lamination
patterns, number of layers, amount of glue or how much pressure was used
in lamination.

Ply is not a good material to judge the condition of the lasercutter on.

I'm also noting there are a number of materials on the approved list
with no listed cutting parameters, which is going to tacitly encourage
people to work out their own settings anyway. And we did crowd-source
the settings we have in the first place.