Lasercutter out of order

Griff

May 4, 2015, 4:24:35 PM5/4/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have out the laser cutter 'out of order'.

When it was cutting the last section of the job (a rectangle) it started juddering and then stopped completely - as if there was a problem with the data on the file? I stopped the job which cased the head to return to the home position. When it reached the furthest part of the bed it made a noise as if it was jamming against something. I turned the unit off and have left it at that position.

Other members of Hackspace came over and suggested we try moving the head away from its position using the manual adjust buttons on the unit. We started the job again and it had a problem in the same section of the job and again tried to get to the 'home' position and made the jamming noise again.

For info - I was cutting 300 G/M2 card.

The file that I was using is on the Desktop of the computer under 'problemfile'.

Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone that wants the use the laser cutter in the meantime.

Ryan

Henry Sands

May 4, 2015, 4:33:07 PM5/4/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the steppers are skipping, will look into it at some point this week.

Charles Yarnold

May 4, 2015, 4:46:58 PM5/4/15
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for emailing and putting it out of order, definitely the right thing to do in this situation. Also thanks for logging your job.

Speed 400 is way too fast for a cut, this will be why the steppers were grinding and skipping. Please limit yourself to 100 speed and knock down the power until you get the cut you are looking for.

Will swing by and access the situation tomorrow before its placed back in order.

Sol

Griff

May 4, 2015, 4:52:39 PM5/4/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Ah,

I got speed 400 as a piece of (bad) advice from another laser cutter user a couple of weeks ago! That might just be it then.

I wonder if we can get some more info on cut & engrave speeds printed next to the laser cutter? I would be happy to do it using the laser cutter log info?

Charles Yarnold

May 4, 2015, 5:01:32 PM5/4/15
to Hackspace Mailing List
Hey,

The current longer list on the left were all the current approved settings (I updated them on Thursday), it will get added to as we approve more.

That said I will make a note to make max settings more obvious to avoid this in the future. There could also be other issues with the cutter too though, will see tomorrow.

Sol

Christopher Paton

May 4, 2015, 7:06:40 PM5/4/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The list of approved settings was missing on wednesday (paper on laser cutter). Not sure if it has been replaced.

Charles Yarnold

May 4, 2015, 7:08:27 PM5/4/15
to Hackspace Mailing List
On 5 May 2015 at 00:06, Christopher Paton <christop...@gmail.com> wrote:
The list of approved settings was missing on wednesday (paper on laser cutter). Not sure if it has been replaced.

Jasper Wallace

May 5, 2015, 5:13:15 PM5/5/15
to Hackspace Mailing List
On Mon, 4 May 2015, Charles Yarnold wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
> Thanks for emailing and putting it out of order, definitely the right thing to do in this situation. Also thanks for logging your job.
>
> Speed 400 is way too fast for a cut, this will be why the steppers were grinding and skipping. Please limit yourself to 100 speed and knock down the
> power until you get the cut you are looking for.

Is it ok for etching? The notes stuck to the cutter have speed 800 and
1000 for etching...
--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Russ Garrett

May 5, 2015, 5:20:15 PM5/5/15
to London Hack Space
Etching is a different matter - 1000 is fine for etching (although
lower might be slightly better).

400 is the maximum for cutting but you tend to start experiencing
issues when you go above 100-150.

Russ
--
Russ Garrett