Wheel Hub Bearing Leads?

Akuma Osito Qiu

Sep 28, 2016, 2:11:28 PM9/28/16
to London Hackspace
Hi all,

Anyone have a Wheel Hub Bearing lying around? Or know of a scrapper yard?

cheers!

Tangent-man

Sep 29, 2016, 11:11:20 AM9/29/16
to London Hackspace
Wheel bearing for what exactly? Is that a Landrover wheel bearing? Is that what you want?

:-)

Akuma Osito Qiu

Sep 29, 2016, 11:20:25 AM9/29/16
to London Hackspace
Yeah, but any wheel bearing would probably do. I'm making a "body spinner", it's basically a lazy susan but for a human to stand on. The requirements are it's gotta be really smooth and sturdy, so I can't use any old lazy susan mechanism. Car Wheel Bearings are really good for this. And I only need one, haha.

Toby Catlin

Sep 29, 2016, 11:52:42 AM9/29/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Scrap Car Kings are in E2 6QH

Akuma Osito Qiu

Sep 29, 2016, 12:36:40 PM9/29/16
to London Hackspace, to...@korfball.com
Thanks, I actually walked over since they were so close to the hackspace. Couldn't even find an office...

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 4:52:42 PM UTC+1, Toby Catlin wrote:
Scrap Car Kings are in E2 6QH

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 4:11:20 PM UTC+1, Tangent-man wrote:
Wheel bearing for what exactly? Is that a Landrover wheel bearing? Is that what you want?

:-)

Scooby

Oct 2, 2016, 4:57:01 PM10/2/16
to London Hackspace
Try the scrap dealers on Witan Street off Cambridge Heath Road closest tube Bethnal Green Road.

Harrison Chiu

Oct 4, 2016, 9:45:31 AM10/4/16
to London Hackspace
Thanks Scooby~! I'll hit them up!

Scooby

Oct 4, 2016, 4:23:34 PM10/4/16
to London Hackspace
Also try the small mechanic garage on Cremer Street right next door to the old Hackspace they do quite a lot repairs on rotor parts 0207 729 6423

Patrick Joseph Shellard

Oct 5, 2016, 8:48:28 AM10/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be building something similar, though I don't need it to be super smooth. I had been looking at using either of these things:

http://www.engineeredsolutionsdirect.com/pallet-turntable-ring.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lazy-Susan-Rotating-Aluminium-Turntables-Small-to-Large-/141742604866?var=&hash=item2100848242:m:mQF8iVp3s0rgciAL1knq_ag
(the 1000mm version)

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the wheel bearing and how much it costs, it seems like maybe it good be a good alternative.

Toby Catlin

Oct 5, 2016, 9:02:53 AM10/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Car wheel bearings can often take multiple tons of force. Think how much load is being applied if you hit a speed bump at 40mph.

I have seen quite a few wind turbine projects that use them due to them being cheap (£5 or so from car scrapper) and strong.