Storage Request #490: Stretching Frame by Dean Forbes

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jun 28, 2016, 11:39:00 AM6/28/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Stretching Frame
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/storage/490
by Dean Forbes
4th Jul 2016 - 3rd Jan 2017
Request for 5 months, 30 days in the basement (General Area )

construction and completion of stretching frame construction to be metal and wood with some autmation

***If no one replies to this topic the request will be automatically approved within 2 days.***

Dave Mansfield

Jun 28, 2016, 11:44:48 AM6/28/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Where would it be stored, and how much space would it take up?

deanforbes

Jun 28, 2016, 11:52:14 AM6/28/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
genral area it will move through genral areas in the basement i.e  the metal area, wood area, and storage areas depending on what is being worked on, will be similar in size to a person

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 16:39:00 UTC+1, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk wrote:
Stretching Frame
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/storage/490
by Dean Forbes
4th Jul 2016 - 3rd Jan 2017
Request for 5 months, 30 days in the basement (General Area )

construction and completion of stretching frame construction to be metal and wood with some automation

Dave Mansfield

Jun 28, 2016, 12:10:20 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering which storage area will it be kept in when not being worked on in the metal area, or wood area.

deanforbes

Jun 28, 2016, 12:19:00 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
during each stage the components related to that stage will be stored in the respective area related to the task associated with that stage,  if there are "between"  stages it will be in a general area where there is a space probably near the racks, when it is complete it will be removed,

Robert McWilliam

Jun 28, 2016, 12:25:30 PM6/28/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, at 17:19, deanforbes wrote:
during each stage the components related to that stage will be stored in the respective area related to the task associated with that stage,  if there are "between"  stages it will be in a general area where there is a space probably near the racks, when it is complete it will be removed,

You want permission to store some vaguely defined stuff variously around the space for about 6 months?

That's not really how this is supposed to work is it?

Robert
--
Robert McWilliam      rm...@allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Apparently, three out of four people make up 75% of the population.

matthew aspinall

Jun 28, 2016, 2:15:02 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace
Approved! Crack on

Robert McWilliam

Jun 28, 2016, 6:15:44 PM6/28/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, at 19:15, matthew aspinall wrote:
> Approved! Crack on

As much as emailing the list has any effect on actual approval (I'm
pretty sure that's not at all): no, not approved.

For storing stuff in the space for 6 months I'd want to have a lot more
details of what's being stored, where, and why it needs 6 months before
considering approval.

timour chomilier

Jun 28, 2016, 6:31:51 PM6/28/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
I would have to be in agreement with Robert here, unclear on what and were and for 6 month, its a no for me at the moment

Mr Ed

Jun 30, 2016, 6:01:51 AM6/30/16

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 23:31:51 UTC+1, Timour Chomilier wrote:
I would have to be in agreement with Robert here, unclear on what and were and for 6 month, its a no for me at the moment

I'm really failing to see the problem here. It's either going to be in the metal shop, wood shop or I presume outside by the wood rack where other stuff is sometimes stored, based on what Dean wrote.

6 months is quite long, but doesn't seem excessive. Stuff takes time to build especially as these are side projects for most people. People generally underestimate project lengths. I'd rather have accurate verging on over estimates than unrealistically short ones with many extensions.

-Ed

Dave Mansfield

Jun 30, 2016, 9:38:51 AM6/30/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
This location makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the clarification, Dean. I'd be for this.

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jun 30, 2016, 3:04:01 PM6/30/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Unapproved with the reason 'objections withdrawn' by Edward Rosten

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jun 30, 2016, 3:23:40 PM6/30/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Approved with the reason 'Previous change made no sense' by Adrian Godwin

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 2:26:43 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Were the 2 objections from Robert and Timour actually withdrawn or did you just decide they didn't count?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, 20:04 , <no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk> wrote:
Status changed to Unapproved with the reason 'objections withdrawn' by Edward Rosten

Robert McWilliam

Jul 1, 2016, 3:15:50 AM7/1/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 07:26, Lex Robinson wrote:
Were the 2 objections from Robert and Timour actually withdrawn or did you just decide they didn't count?

My objection wasn't withdrawn: I still think this request is too vague to consider.

Without a location for where the stuff will be stored it's impossible to guage how likely it is to be in the way - which is kind of the point of the storage request system.

I really don't like the approach of "it'll be stored where it's being worked on". I think things should be tidied away from work spaces when they're not actually being worked on. Especially for something that'll be here for 6 months.

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jul 1, 2016, 3:33:59 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Pending Approval with the reason 'Objections were not withdrawn' by Lex Robinson

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 5:40:10 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 07:26:43 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Were the 2 objections from Robert and Timour actually withdrawn or did you just decide they didn't count?

Well given the main objection is "there's no location where it's stored" despite the location being specified and then clarified by me, yeah I reckon that doesn't count as a valid objection because it's impossible to satisfy under any conditions. There are spaces around the edge of the various work areas where in-progress projects are routinely stored without trouble.

-Ed

Robert McWilliam

Jul 1, 2016, 6:58:22 AM7/1/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 10:40, Mr Ed wrote:
On Friday, 1 July 2016 07:26:43 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Were the 2 objections from Robert and Timour actually withdrawn or did you just decide they didn't count?

Well given the main objection is "there's no location where it's stored" despite the location being specified and then clarified by me, yeah I reckon that doesn't count as a valid objection because it's impossible to satisfy under any conditions. There are spaces around the edge of the various work areas where in-progress projects are routinely stored without trouble.

The location hasn't been specified any more than variously around the basement. If there's lots of places where it could be stored and wouldn't be in the way of anything (hard to tell when the size is given as "similar in size to a person" - people come in a variety of sizes) then why not pick one? That lets other people decide if that is an acceptable location or if it will be in the way there and somewhere else would be better (or if we don't have space for it).

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 7:06:47 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 11:58:22 UTC+1, Robert McWilliam wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 10:40, Mr Ed wrote:
On Friday, 1 July 2016 07:26:43 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Were the 2 objections from Robert and Timour actually withdrawn or did you just decide they didn't count?

Well given the main objection is "there's no location where it's stored" despite the location being specified and then clarified by me, yeah I reckon that doesn't count as a valid objection because it's impossible to satisfy under any conditions. There are spaces around the edge of the various work areas where in-progress projects are routinely stored without trouble.

The location hasn't been specified any more than variously around the basement.

Apart from when Dean clarified by mentioning that it would be stored in the metal shop for some of the time, for example and the wood shop for some of the time? If you're in at the same time as me next week, I can point you to the areas where projects are routinely stored in the workshops. There's a few good out-of-the-way bits, which don't get in the way.

If there's lots of places where it could be stored and wouldn't be in the way of anything

Well great, so what's the problem? He's specified roughly where and you concede that there are places, so you seem to have no real objections at all!

(hard to tell when the size is given as "similar in size to a person" - people come in a variety of sizes)

Oh come on, now you're just being pointlessly pedantic. The range of people sizes is not especially big and it gives a perfectly good impression of the size. It's clearly a relatively tall, thinnish thing, not something like a table which requires a lot of volume due to the legs etc.

then why not pick one? That lets other people decide if that is an acceptable location or if it will be in the way there and somewhere else would be better (or if we don't have space for it).

We demonstrably have space and there are demonstrably places in the wood and metal shop where a person-sized (pick the biggest person you know if it makes you happy) could easily fit without getting in the way. It very much feels like you are nit-picking for the sake of it.

Unless I see objections that are even remotely reasonable, I'm going to start changing it back to "accepted". There's meant to be some sort of reasonable consensus here, not "biggest nitpicker always gets a veto".

-Ed

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 7:22:45 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dave, Robert and Timour are also asked what it actually is that will be stored, as "metal and wood with some autmation" doesn't actually explain what will be stashed in these various useful project storage locations.
Which bit is of similar size to a person? The completed product? The entire project throughout its lifetime?
A rough inventory and size guideline with actual numbers would help here.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 1, 2016, 7:40:59 AM7/1/16
to london-hack-space
The idea of this storage scheme is to allow for some sense of control over what large projects are built and how long they'll be there for. It's really not intended to be determined in this level of detail. This is a hackspace, not a civil service trophy cupboard. Things change as they're built, and what is planned might not be the final design.

If you think these projects are some sort of paint-by-numbers or instructable with everything rigidly defined., you've got the wrong idea.

Robert McWilliam

Jul 1, 2016, 8:32:32 AM7/1/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 12:06, Mr Ed wrote:

If there's lots of places where it could be stored and wouldn't be in the way of anything

Well great, so what's the problem? He's specified roughly where and you concede that there are places, so you seem to have no real objections at all!

I didn't concede anything - I said *if* :)

I will now concede that I am pretty sure there are places where a person sized (assuming a roughly average sized person) object could be stored out of the way. There are also certainly places where a person sized object would very much be in the way. And a massive area of fuzziness between the two, where people will disagree about whether or not something there is in the way.

I'd like to see Dean tell us where he's going to store things so we can be sure it is in the first (not in the way) category of locations. When I originally asked I expected a short description of a suitable location and that to be the end of it.

If you're in at the same time as me next week, I can point you to the areas where projects are routinely stored in the workshops. There's a few good out-of-the-way bits, which don't get in the way.

Argh! Why do I need to meet you in the space to be told where you think is an appropriate location?

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 9:00:52 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 13:32:32 UTC+1, Robert McWilliam wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 12:06, Mr Ed wrote:

If there's lots of places where it could be stored and wouldn't be in the way of anything

Well great, so what's the problem? He's specified roughly where and you concede that there are places, so you seem to have no real objections at all!

I didn't concede anything - I said *if* :)

I will now concede that I am pretty sure there are places where a person sized (assuming a roughly average sized person) object could be stored out of the way. There are also certainly places where a person sized object would very much be in the way. And a massive area of fuzziness between the two, where people will disagree about whether or not something there is in the way.

I'd like to see Dean tell us where he's going to store things so we can be sure it is in the first (not in the way) category of locations.

Like he said in the metal shop, wood shop and possibly in some of the general storage areas of the basement which is specifically not in the way.

When I originally asked I expected a short description of a suitable location and that to be the end of it.

And you got one.   Like I've said already there are out of the way places in both workshops which are routinely used to store in progress projects. And like I said I can point out those areas to you if you're in on Wednesday.

-Ed

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 9:03:55 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 12:22:45 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Dave, Robert and Timour are also asked what it actually is that will be stored, as "metal and wood with some autmation" doesn't actually explain what will be stashed in these various useful project storage locations.

Well, sounds like some metal, some wood and some bits for automation. That's going to be an actuator of some sort. And possible some means of control. Beyond that why on earth does it matter? It's not like anyone else is required to provide complete plans for projects.

Which bit is of similar size to a person? The completed product? The entire project throughout its lifetime?
A rough inventory and size guideline with actual numbers would help here.

The rough size was "similar to a person". I don't get the problem with this. Unless you're accusing Dean of lying, then that means the project being stored is... the rough size of a person! Which means when the project is stored it will take up about he same size of a person. In other words, the amount of storage space used is approximately person sized. Or to put it another way:

it's about the same size as a person.

Clear?

-Ed

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 9:05:33 AM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 13:32:32 UTC+1, Robert McWilliam wrote:

Argh! Why do I need to meet you in the space to be told where you think is an appropriate location?

Because it would take ma about 15 seconds to wander over to the right location and simply point rather than go in to long, detailed explanations that could get pedanted to death.

-Ed

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jul 1, 2016, 9:06:43 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Approved with the reason 'The only objections left are inane.' by Edward Rosten

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 9:11:26 AM7/1/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 at 14:03 Mr Ed <edward...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, 1 July 2016 12:22:45 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Dave, Robert and Timour are also asked what it actually is that will be stored, as "metal and wood with some autmation" doesn't actually explain what will be stashed in these various useful project storage locations.

Well, sounds like some metal, some wood and some bits for automation. That's going to be an actuator of some sort. And possible some means of control. Beyond that why on earth does it matter? It's not like anyone else is required to provide complete plans for projects.

No one is asking for complete plans.
If you look, nearly every storage request actually states what it will store, not just "some stuff to make a thing".
If you look harder, you'll see that every storage request that doesn't specify what is being stored is updated with a request asking what will be stored.
This is not an unreasonable request.

Which bit is of similar size to a person? The completed product? The entire project throughout its lifetime?
A rough inventory and size guideline with actual numbers would help here.

The rough size was "similar to a person". I don't get the problem with this. Unless you're accusing Dean of lying, then that means the project being stored is... the rough size of a person! Which means when the project is stored it will take up about he same size of a person. In other words, the amount of storage space used is approximately person sized. Or to put it another way:

it's about the same size as a person.

Clear?

No. If it was clear I wouldn't have asked for clarification.
Please calm down.

Robert McWilliam

Jul 1, 2016, 9:30:48 AM7/1/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 14:00, Mr Ed wrote:
On Friday, 1 July 2016 13:32:32 UTC+1, Robert McWilliam wrote:
When I originally asked I expected a short description of a suitable location and that to be the end of it.

And you got one.

No, I didn't.

Dean hasn't even replied to this thread since I asked for an actual location, rather than a few rooms that he might store it in.

Argh! Why do I need to meet you in the space to be told where you think is an appropriate location?
Because it would take ma about 15 seconds to wander over to the right location and simply point rather than go in to long, detailed explanations that could get pedanted to death.

Except I will be in Aberdeen next Wednesday so that'll be 15 seconds of pointing and about a day spent on planes/trains.

Even if I was going to be in the space anyway and it was just the 15 seconds of pointing for both of us that would only tell me where you thought was appropriate. That wouldn't mean Dean was actually going to store his stuff there and it wouldn't give anyone else a chance to say if they thought it was a good/bad location.

I'm not asking for anything more than a description along the lines of "between things X and Y". Typing that shouldn't take much longer than the 15 seconds of pointing, and sending it to the list tells everybody who might care at once so there will be no need for repeated pointing.

Robert

Martin (Crypt)

Jul 1, 2016, 9:47:43 AM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Its some storage space for a thing he's making that doesn't
a) smell bad
b) blow up
c) jump out of the corner and assault random passers by

I trust Dean to find somewhere thats not entirely unreasonable to store it for a while.  It doesn't seem like its going to be a huge issue.  Let him get on with it.

I think as a hackspace our default position should be to allow something and not request intimate details of everything thats going on unless the situation clearly calls for it.

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 1:55:31 PM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

Let me try one more time:

Imagine if you will, a person standing somewhere in the workshop.

OK so far?

Good!

Now imagine you have a bunch of stuff in place of the person which takes up about the same amount of room.

Right?

That is what "about the size of a person means". I think it's entirely reasonable to assume that since Dean said about the size of a person, he means it's about the size of a person, not that it will be the size of a person some of the time then morph to be substantially larger at some unspecified point.

Still unclear?

-Ed

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 3:44:20 PM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it a person the size of Dean or a person the size of me?
People come in many many shapes and sizes from well over 6ft to 4ft something. Some people are fat, some people are thin. People take up less floor space at the bottom but overhang at the top.

Additionally is this person made primarily of 5ft tall beams of metal or a pile of 2x4 wood planks?
Are they a robot?

Mr Ed

Jul 1, 2016, 5:03:46 PM7/1/16
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 1 July 2016 20:44:20 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
Is it a person the size of Dean or a person the size of me?

You finally understand! Now ask yourself: how much does it matter. You have an upper bound on size. Is there room given that bound? Yes. Of course there is.

People come in many many shapes and sizes from well over 6ft to 4ft something. Some people are fat, some people are thin. People take up less floor space at the bottom but overhang at the top.

My re-approval of the request is seeming more and more justified by the moment.

Additionally is this person made primarily of 5ft tall beams of metal or a pile of 2x4 wood planks?

What does it matter?

Are they a robot?

You know what? Sure why not.

-Ed

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 7:13:55 PM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OK.
Let's approach this from another angle, so maybe you'll understand.
I (and several others) have asked what Dean wants to store.
Now let's just stop here, because you're already imagining that I've asked for blueprints.
I haven't
I've asked what he wants to store.
Not for plans.
Not for an inventory.
Not for a spreadsheet with the exact dimensions and weight of every item.
I simply want to know.

WHAT.
IS.
HE.
STORING????

Now let's stop again, because you're clearly very excitable and another post about the average size of humans is completely unnecessary.

Dean has said that he wants to store "wood and metal" "about the size of a person".
This description could be applied to a vast many things. It is not a helpful description.
Here are some examples:
  • A 0.5m by 0.5m box with several lengths of 2m metal & planks
  • A tall stack of planks and a box of nails
  • Roughly a thousand 1cm balsawood cubes arranged into the shape of The Queen with a metal pole up the middle for stability
  • A minature of The Statue of Liberty rendered in copper with a wooden frame
  • A large number of boxes of aluminium foil and a rolling pin
  • A pillar drill with a block of wood in the clamp
  • The pneumatic tube from the radio club aerial without it's holding frame
Quite frankly if Dean would like to store any of these in the metal workshop I have no objections, as long as he actually said what it was.
This is all I'm asking for.
A description
Of what
He wants
To store.

As a side note, I am asking Dean for the description. Not you.
Thank you for your understanding.

deanforbes

Jul 1, 2016, 7:51:50 PM7/1/16
to London Hackspace, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk
I believe i have answered all the question raised  earlier however

yes it is a stretching frame and it will be stored in the basement, it will move through the general areas in the basement i.e  the metal area, wood area, and storage areas near the wood racks in between stages depending on what is being worked on, It will be similar in size to a person clearly as its for me it a person my size

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 16:39:00 UTC+1, no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk wrote:
Stretching Frame
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/storage/490
by Dean Forbes
4th Jul 2016 - 3rd Jan 2017
Request for 5 months, 30 days in the basement (General Area )

construction and completion of stretching frame construction to be metal and wood with some autmation

***If no one replies to this topic the request will be automatically approved within 2 days.***

Lex Robinson

Jul 1, 2016, 7:55:44 PM7/1/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All the google image results for "stretching frame" are pictures of trucks.
Please could you provide a brief description of what you are building?

chrisbob12

Jul 1, 2016, 8:24:31 PM7/1/16
to London Hackspace
Something like a tailor's mannequin?

Mike

Jul 1, 2016, 8:30:30 PM7/1/16
On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 11:55:31PM +0000, Lex Robinson wrote:
> All the google image results for "stretching frame" are pictures of trucks.
> Please could you provide a brief description of what you are building?

It's a torture device. As the name suggests, it stretches one's limbs
until they dislocate or, if the torturer has had a particularly bad day,
until they are detatched from the torso.

I would have assumed it was intended to assert Dean's authority over the
metal workshop but his previous corrispondance seems to suggest that he
plans to use the draconian device on himself. A prospect which I find
most perplexing.

Mike.
signature.asc

Mr Ed

Jul 2, 2016, 5:55:58 AM7/2/16
to London Hackspace

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 00:13:55 UTC+1, Lex Robinson wrote:
OK.
Let's approach this from another angle, so maybe you'll understand.

You seem to believe that me thinking you're unreasonable is me not understanding. I understand fine.

I (and several others) have asked what Dean wants to store.

Some bits of wood and metal.

Now let's stop again, because you're clearly very excitable and another post about the average size of humans is completely unnecessary.

You're the one who engaged in that bit of mindless pedantry, not me.

Here are some examples:

Quite frankly if Dean would like to store any of these in the metal workshop I have no objections, as long as he actually said what it was.

So basically we've established that (a) it's mostly wood and metal for a frame, so they're going to be long, thin bits because what on earth do you think a frame is (b) there's a whole bunch of possibilities (some likely, others wildly unrealistic) none of which you object to and (c) it will be stored somewhere reasonable and (d) doesn't take up too much room.

So what's the problem?

Basically there isn't one from the point of view of actually storing stuff.

As a side note, I am asking Dean for the description. Not you.
Thank you for your understanding.

If you want and answer from Dean only, send a private email. If you're going to be unreasonable on the mailing list about a storage request, I'll call you out on it.

-Ed

Lex Robinson

Jul 2, 2016, 7:15:15 AM7/2/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 at 10:56 Mr Ed <edward...@gmail.com> wrote:
So what's the problem?

Ah see here's where your lack of reading comprehension comes into play again.

The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.

I'll repeat that again

The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.

You have assumed you know what he wants to store, but

The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.
The problem is that Dean has not said what he wants to store.

Paddy Duncan

Jul 2, 2016, 7:48:06 AM7/2/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

In trustee mode.
This thread has descended into stupid and ends here.
Go and look if you desperately need to know exactly what it is.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 2, 2016, 8:38:59 AM7/2/16
to london-hack-space

And what business of yours is that? Your only concern need be that it doesn't hurt anyone else's use of the space. If you want to take an interest then that's fine, but don't turn it into an objection.

Henry Best

Jul 5, 2016, 9:46:55 PM7/5/16
to London Hackspace
The concern is that the description isn't precise enough.
I make a request to store two 6' lengths of pipe. You approve that request and I turn up with two six foot lengths of 2' dia concrete pipe.
My description, such as it was, was correct, but probably not what you were expecting!
That's why precision is necessary.

Mr Ed

Jul 6, 2016, 5:59:31 AM7/6/16
to London Hackspace

On Wednesday, 6 July 2016 02:46:55 UTC+1, Henry Best wrote:
The concern is that the description isn't precise enough.
I make a request to store two 6' lengths of pipe. You approve that request and I turn up with two six foot lengths of 2' dia concrete pipe.
My description, such as it was, was correct, but probably not what you were expecting!
That's why precision is necessary.

As far as I can tell, the point of storage requests are to:

1. Keep track of what's being stored to stop the infinite buildup of junk.
2. Make sure that hard to remove things are actually going to be removed (whole buses, for example)
3. Make sure big things aren't going to be in the way.
4. Make sure nothing which screams "DANGER! DOOM!" is being stored (e.g. a smelter for stolen copper)
5. Make sure nothing too dangerous/flammable/toxic/corrosive/venomous is being stored.

In your example, there's not a lot of places to store 6' lengths of 2' diameter pipe, so it would fall foul of 3 and 2 probably as well. In this case we know roughly what it's made of, roughly how big and roughly where it's going, so I don't really see how any more information would be informative.

-Ed

Mike

Jul 6, 2016, 11:13:41 AM7/6/16
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 02:59:30AM -0700, Mr Ed wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the point of storage requests are to:
>
> 1. Keep track of what's being stored to stop the infinite buildup of junk.
> 2. Make sure that hard to remove things are actually going to be removed
> (whole buses, for example)
> 3. Make sure big things aren't going to be in the way.
> 4. Make sure nothing which screams "DANGER! DOOM!" is being stored (e.g. a
> smelter for stolen copper)
> 5. Make sure nothing too dangerous/flammable/toxic/corrosive/venomous is
> being stored.

Whilst the above is broadly correct, I think there's also a certain
amount of ensuring that the request seems reasonably well planned, ie
the time allocated seems reasonable, that the person has the ability
to carry out the project, that they are likely to carry out the project,
etc, etc.

A bit of a peripheral information would likely help this request.
Something of a challenge given Dean's "tell 'em nothing, let them buy a
programme" approach.

I will likely be in the Space tonight and in an attempt to break the
deadlock and improve my diplomancy skills, I shall attempt to extract
the following from Mr Forbes:

1) What is a streatching frame?
2) What work is needed to create one?
3) What is the work schedule?
4) What are the dimensions?
5) How will the finished product be removed from the space?
6) An assurance that any Aluminium used in the project will not be
ground on the grinding wheels

I hope that will cover everything. If anyone would like to submit
audience questions, please post them here or on twitter with the hashtag
#deandungeonmaster

Mike.
signature.asc

Mr Ed

Jul 6, 2016, 1:02:22 PM7/6/16
to London Hackspace, hack...@norgie.net

On Wednesday, 6 July 2016 16:13:41 UTC+1, Mike wrote:

Whilst the above is broadly correct, I think there's also a certain
amount of ensuring that the request seems reasonably well planned, ie
the time allocated seems reasonable, that the person has the ability
to carry out the project, that they are likely to carry out the project,
etc, etc.

A bit of a peripheral information would likely help this request.
Something of a challenge given Dean's "tell 'em nothing, let them buy a
programme" approach.

I will likely be in the Space tonight and in an attempt to break the
deadlock and improve my diplomancy skills, I shall attempt to extract
the following from Mr Forbes:

I'd just like to point out that there isn't a deadlock here. It's marked as approved on the storage system and the official word from the trustees is:

> In trustee mode.
> This thread has descended into stupid and ends here.
> Go and look if you desperately need to know exactly what it is.

Which I take to mean there is sufficient information to support the decision.

1) What is a streatching frame?
2) What work is needed to create one?
3) What is the work schedule?
4) What are the dimensions?
5) How will the finished product be removed from the space?
6) An assurance that any Aluminium used in the project will not be
ground on the grinding wheels

I do hope that point 6 is a joke.

-Ed

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Dec 6, 2016, 7:53:15 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Pending Approval with the reason 'Removed by error' by Martin Clarke

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Dec 6, 2016, 7:53:34 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Approved with the reason 'Removed by error' by Martin Clarke

Martin (Crypt)

Dec 6, 2016, 7:55:21 AM12/6/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This seems to be a sane way to do things, original had permission until january, so if its erronously marked removed, we should just be able to reverse that, but seems you can only go from removed state to pending approval.  Possibly we could add a reversal feature to the storage system at some point.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM, <no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk> wrote:
Status changed to Approved with the reason 'Removed by error' by Martin Clarke

no-r...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Jan 17, 2017, 12:26:21 PM1/17/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Status changed to Removed with the reason 'Phase 2 request covers current storage.' by David Mansfield