Have you hugged your spanner today ?

Adrian Godwin

Oct 29, 2012, 9:59:35 AM10/29/12
to london-hack-space
The hackspace has a lot of people who do great work maintaining the
tools. You probably don't realise how often they fix stuff, or fetch
supplies and replacements.

But they can't do everything. You have to help.

To ensure absolutely everything's covered, from the 3-in-1 lathe/mill
to the roll of sellotape, I'm proposing an 'Adopt-a-spanner' scheme to
ask every member to take responsibility for something. More details
here :

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Maintenance/Adopt-a-Spanner

That isn't a complete list, it's just to show the range. There's no
need to ask if something 'should' be on it - just add it yourself, or
refine a description that's there. If you don't know how to edit the
wiki, ask.

Please don't feel it's too difficult, or will take too much time, or
you haven't the skill. Anyone can help - just choose a suitable job.
In many cases, it's just a matter of regularly checking that the item
hasn't been lost, or damaged, or run out of widgets.

-adrian

Eugene Nadyrshin

Oct 29, 2012, 10:26:32 AM10/29/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Good initiative Adrian, thanks for setting it up.

I'm happy to take ownership of the soldering bench as it's what I use
most often in the space. Also gonna help out Artag with the etch tank

Cheers
Mentar

Ian Henderson

Oct 29, 2012, 12:13:06 PM10/29/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Adrian

I've see you've pencilled me in for the 3in1 which I'm happy to do!

Billy

Nov 6, 2012, 4:06:46 AM11/6/12
to London Hackspace

I've put myself down for maintaining the minilathe.

When it's working, i'll also be happy to teach the basics, provided
any of the people i'm demonstrating the quirks to, will pull me up on
my mistakes.

I'm mostly self-taught, so while i've got a good grounding in the
basics, my knowledge is a bit spotty with anything more than that.

I'd love to get a proper run-through of using the 3-in-1.

Might be a good idea to direct the new members to this page,
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Maintenance/Adopt-a-Spanner
, that way they both know who to talk to about the various machines,
and they can see what needs volunteering for.

Tim Hardy

Nov 6, 2012, 5:53:18 AM11/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
>> Might be a good idea to direct the new members to this page,
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Maintenance/Adopt-a-Spanner
, that way they both know who to talk to about the various machines,
and they can see what needs volunteering for.

Fantastic initiative, thanks!

I've added a reference to it the draft new member's manual:

Eugene Nadyrshin

Nov 6, 2012, 8:30:25 AM11/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Billy,
I should hopefully get the control board sorted out soon. Hopefully will
tune it today if I'm in. After that there is little need to recalibrate
the control board so I'll leave you and Boyaa to maintain it as I've got
the soldering station and co-own the etch tank

Mentar

Adrian Godwin

Dec 2, 2012, 10:32:16 AM12/2/12
to london-hack-space
About twenty people have signed up to this effort and we're already starting to see some tired equipment brought back into use. But there's plenty more sad, unhugged spanners, drills, chairs and sellotape rolls in need of your love.

If you're one of the 500-odd other members who haven't yet volunteered to help keep the hackspace working, please take a look at

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Maintenance/Adopt-a-Spanner

and see if there's something you can help with. Large commitment of time or money is not required .. it might only need you to check a tool has been put away correctly each time you visit. Or you might want to help with some vital task that will bring you the adulation of thousands. It's your choice.

(I know there's actually quite a lot of people who already do great stuff but aren't on that list. But I don't know who they are. If you're one of them, please add your name and task to the list - it helps other people get in touch when they need your advice).

-adrian

Alexander Wright

Dec 2, 2012, 10:49:37 AM12/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to take on some jobs but I worry that it might not be worth it
when I can't get to the space for 2 months at a time while I'm at uni.
I'll help mentar (not sure who that is irl) with the soldering bench but
I'm not sure if I should take anything on by myself. Perhaps I could
take on a load of low-maintenance things which don't need to be checked
all the time? The soldering irons maybe? I suppose that involves
checking for worn bits, dead heaters, grotty sponges, used tip cleaners
etc.

-
Alec

Adrian Godwin

Dec 2, 2012, 10:55:36 AM12/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's an excellent idea. Although we have a few soldering irons in constant use, we also have a box of others that are used for workshops etc. and bad ones tend to accumulate. Getting them in good working order ready for the next use would be very helpful.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Dec 2, 2012, 11:02:33 AM12/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to point out the papercuts page - http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:100_Paper_Cuts

It lists small one-off jobs that would benefit from someone with a few minutes or hours to spare. For anyone that visits too infrequently to make a regular commitment but wants to contribute, it's a good place to start (and you can add your own ideas to the page, too).

-adrian

Billy

Dec 2, 2012, 12:14:43 PM12/2/12
to London Hackspace

I was trying to explain to a new member on Thursday, that your
membership fee is not just money, it's also the time we use to
maintain the place.

Submitting bug reports for the infrastructure, maintaining the
machinery, sweeping the floor and washing the dishes.

Will be worth emphasizing when giving people tours of the space.

On 2 Dec, 16:02, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd also like to point out the papercuts page -http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:100_Paper_Cuts

Eugene Nadyrshin

Dec 2, 2012, 6:23:58 PM12/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Help with soldering bench would be greatly appreciated! There's quite a
lot on there and it tends to get messy really fast as a lot of people
don't put stuff back. Apart from the things you mention multi-meters
need to be checked for battery health, de-soldering pumps cleaned.

I was thinking of consolidating the component bins but I think it makes
sense to do that when we move anyway.
On the topic of the new place I'm thinking it may be a good idea to
introduce colour zoning. e.g.
Blue zone: soldering irons, de-soldering pumps, oscilloscopes and
analysis tools.
Orange Zone: Components, wires, sensors, small motors.
Green zone: Should be left clear for people to work on.

This is quite easy to segregate with colour tape or a border of paint,
can look quite Tron-esque too :P
Can work well for the workshop too!

Cheers
Mentar