how to check where a link points to

1 view

Gouri Kulkarni

Mar 9, 2010, 9:20:25 AM3/9/10
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm working on a web server . I have no idea where the directory
/var/www/html points to.
It's linked to some other place. What command can help me do this?
Thanks,
Gouri

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Doug Stewart <doug....@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK lets leave it till next month.
> I will not be there tonight - therefore the door will be locked.
> Doug Stewart
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Chris Irwin <ch...@chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 19:44 -0800, goodrench wrote:
>> > Can't make it for this one. Maybe I will come to the next one.
>>
>> I can't make it this month either.
>>
>> > Where exactly do you meet?
>>
>> I believe the room was B1012, but I may be incorrect. A more urgent
>> question is if anybody else is going?
>>
>> --
>> Chris Irwin
>> e:  ch...@chrisirwin.ca
>> w: http://chrisirwin.ca
>
> --

Open System Solutions
1096 Kimball Crescent
London ON N6G0A8
Tel: 519-488-6046
email: opensys...@gmail.com
http://www.opensystempros.com

Authorized Reseller
Data Vault Security
http://www.datavaultsecurity.com
Use Reseller Guest Code GK6046
gouri.k...@datavaultsecurity.biz

John Van Ostrand

Mar 9, 2010, 9:26:47 AM3/9/10
to lo...@googlegroups.com

----- "Gouri Kulkarni" <gouri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on a web server . I have no idea where the directory
> /var/www/html points to.
> It's linked to some other place. What command can help me do this?

First, it's not likely linked. To see if there is a symbolic link on the directory run this command:

ls -ld /var/www/html

What is more likely is that the web server is configured to use a different "DocumentRoot". You have to located your apache configuration files. The location varies from distro to distro but try:

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf

Apache also has a modular configuration option. Run this command to see what other files httpd.conf is configured to bring in:

grep "^Include" httpd conf

The directories listed there are relative to either /etc/httpd or /etc/apache2. Check the files it includes for other "DocumentRoot" configurations. They may be for VirtualHosts.

Gouri Kulkarni

Mar 9, 2010, 9:35:37 AM3/9/10
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips, John.
It does have other conf files included .
Gouri